Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanted: Volunteers to test product to aid front strut-mounts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just sent a shipment of audi widgets to the US this week, ahead of the deadline (July 01) after which new tariffs on Canadian aluminum and steel take effect. Don't know if this is just on raw materials yet, hope so. Meanwhile news about the ongoing re-jigging of NAFTA talks may also mean annoying increased costs on auto parts going there. May the gods bless America.

I think my current offer is pretty generous and I won't cover the above if any should arise (just out of general principal), in fact if and as the product gains acceptance I will reduce the global discount, most likely in stages, to zero.

Comment

Lago Blue can you point me to the fitting instructions for these. I couldn't remember where it was this evening. Thanks
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Hi Greg,

Re-sent via e-mail.

Comment

Originally posted by Lago Blue View Post
          Hi Greg,

Re-sent via e-mail.
          Thank you. I'll start to refit this week
          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

In Praise of Aids for late OEM Boge type (a.k.a. "Isolastic" or "Silent-Block") A-arm Bushings and Top-Mounts.

Recent plaudit for the two types of "Stops" mods I offer, used in combination. Forum member comment upon having driven with the slightly delayed (4 months later) installation of "Arm-Stops" after already having driven with just "Strut-Stops" alone previously:

"...I’ve been so blown away by how she now rolls along and turns,..."

"Stops" mods - cheap simple effective preventative maintenance; with complimentary benefits.
            Last edited by Lago Blue; 17 October 2018, 04:53.

Comment

Time for me to break cover - I'm one of the UK based testers and I'm (as of last weekend) now running Arm and Strut Stops up front on my CQ20v as referred to in LagoBlue's post earlier today. The quotes from today and on some of the earlier posts are from my emails to him.

I really can't recommend strongly enough that you get hold of some of these items pronto and get them fitted when you're next doing your routine mount and/or wishbone bush renewal. Trust me; you won't be disappointed. Together, the 2 mods have transformed the way my car handles wit the added benefit that I won't be putting new strut mounts on in the foreseeable future. The Arm-stops combined with Strut-stops have to be driven to be believed - such a simple yet highly effective solution to an age old problem that we all suffer from, some more silently than others. I plan to do the same on the rear to in due course...

I propose that we combine some shipping to limit UPS's transatlantic profits. If anybody's interested in getting your order shipped to me and for me to distribute within the UK, it'll make these items so cheap, you'd be barmy not to get some for yourself. Provided of course that LagoBlue is happy to make enough to satisfy demand and your manufacturing/delivery time requirements. Feel free to PM me and/or LagoBlue if you interested.

Comment

"Strut-Stops" Pass the Two Year Point in Independent Testing...

Starting in the Fall of 2016 there are now tester / customers and forum members participating in:

England
                Germany
                Greece
                Ireland
                Scotland &
                the USA.

Two pretty uneventful years into independent testing this month, no mount failures, no returns, no refunds requested. Just silent, forgotten and forgiving top-mounts; being kept that way.

Photo below is of the brand label attached to all "Bergans Original" back-packs. Bergans, for those unfamiliar, made external framed packs popular back when most where just unstructured sacs. Label depicts a tuckered "Mr. Without" and a relaxed "Mr. With" likely after a good hike up before the ski down. It reminds me of Strut-Stops in that "Mr. Without" might say, "Oh, I've got to replace my top-mounts again, already! To which "Mr. With" replies "Well, why not make that perhaps the last time you need do that?"

Bergans Original bacpack label.png
                Last edited by Lago Blue; 18 December 2018, 05:53.

Comment

I had one of those rucksacks when I was in the Scouts (50 years ago? )

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

newsh ,

Back when stitches where pixels (I hear ya on the 50 years BTW, see photo below) my dad had a huge one that I could fit my brother into, boy it was well made!. But having no frame, it was murder to carry a heavy load with. On the other hand, this particular type (a framed rucksack), has some characteristics worth emulating for our purposes here for instance, the prevention of point-load concentration:

When carrying their considerable vertical load as top-mounts must do, instead of the fragile, always worsening stock condition we are familiar with, we may employ some internal reinforcing structure to best keep new mounts near to new. Strut-Stops provide a more specific fixed carry-position and ensure a broad enough load path is maintained to spread the energy being transferred widely enough, that precludes mount damage. The materials and integrity of that otherwise stock chassis connection (in our case the mount's interior bonded interfaces, original exterior height and the bearing) all remain quiet, resilient and well connected, now kept comfortably within a slightly reduced operating range which keeps them fully capable and undamaged over time.

Mr. Without (see photo below) gets beat-up by his sharp-edged sloppy pack-load, while Mr. With is unfazed carrying similar over the same journey only because that same load has not been allowed to become concentrated.

Left stock, without reinforcement, the mount's rubber exterior is made maleable in a kind of cold flow process (even though they get quite hot in use) which deflates its' ability to effectively suspend the body over the strut. That familiar mount flattening and weakening process ordinarily reduces the mounts' top area available to transfer energy usefully, down to just slightly more than that equal to the hole diameter in the top of the fender turret itself; directly above. Hence, that concentration is why they feel bad and sound poor when worn. The structure provided by Strut-Stops prevents that damage; and maintains both the mount's internal integrity and its' entire upper as new characteristic exterior shape, height and most importantly effective volume, keeping them intact and available for a more broadly spread out energy transfer; quite a bit longer.

Bergans stitched label small.png
                    Last edited by Lago Blue; 18 January 2019, 20:29.

Comment

End of postal subsidy for Strut-Stops looms...

As I approach a healthy number of early adopters, I need to scale back the current incentives. Towards that end I will cease paying postage to testor / customer locations after the end of the year. For the time being the half-cost testing price offer continues.
                      Last edited by Lago Blue; 15 December 2018, 16:51.

Comment

Lago I just saw this and will be doing a refresh of my suspension once I get all the bits together. Let me know what is needed and I will take a set

Comment

Lago, I think I’m ready to do strut stops.
                          Can you PM me the details again please?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Yes. Sent. Thanks.

Strut-Stops: Banishing single-use top-mounts one pot-hole at a time.

Comment

PM not received

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Huh?

OK, Sent new message in a bottle, will shortly be adrift in the Gulf Stream (handily, I'm within bottle-throwing distance of the mighty St Lawrence River), let me know...

The international bridge 2019-03-23 at 12.36.14.png

Just kidding, sent another PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X