VEMS and TurboSmart Solenoid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VEMS and TurboSmart Solenoid

I have been reading for quite some time the advantage of using the TS solenoid valve (http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...smart+solenoid), but wondered if adaptions need to be made to VEMS settings in order to get it work instead of the OE N75?

Jonas, did you have a go combining both VEMS and the TS solenoid?

And would the 40psi TS version be capable enough to control boost with a 1.9 bar WG spring say up to 2.0 bar turbo pressure on my new CT355?

I also would be interested what kind of adaptations need toe be made in the VEMS software in order to get a dual port WG setup working. Anyone tried this with VEMS?

Comment

in order to work an aftermarket boost control all you need to do is disable boost settings on VEMS and then just build the fuel map. nothing else.

as for the dual port WG setup? what is that?

Comment

Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
        in order to work an aftermarket boost control all you need to do is disable boost settings on VEMS and then just build the fuel map. nothing else.

as for the dual port WG setup? what is that?
        What I mean is that is should by default it's possible to have VEMS control the N75 right? The TurboSmart solenoid should behave approx the same as the OE product as tested by Jonas and Paul N. I would like to know if someone tested the TurboSmart solenoid already with VEMS to verify this nice N75 replacement part.

Dual port means that with the TurboSmart solenoid (replacing the OE N75) you are able to feed pressure to both the bottom and top of the WG in order to control and avoid WG creep and better WG response if I read it correctly.

Here you can find every detail about it:
        http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...smart+solenoid

Comment

VEMS can control the N75 quite nice, depending on how much time you want to spend on it. All other electronic/aftermarket boost controllers are doing the job on their own independed of the aftermarket ECU. Im not sure,but possibly you could plug the selenoid in VEMS to control it through there, but why would you do that if the controller already comes with it's specific screens and software to control boost?

I can tell you that for starters, dont get any aftermarket boost controllers yet. you may not need them at all! IM very happy with the boost as controlled by VEMS now through the OEM N75 valve.Much faster responce, good control and little fuss. It can get better if you have time to spend testing it.

Comment

You are probably not familiar with the TurboSmart Solenoid. It's a direct replacement for the N75, so it's not neccesary to get a TurboSmart Eboost controller! And that's why I am so interested in using this new solenoid combined with VEMS, so they work together and would allow me to not pay for an expensive boost controller and use VEMS to it's maximum potential.

This Turbo Smart solenoid should be much more robust then the OE N75 and you would be able to control the lower and top chamber of the WG with it. Check the thread I posted here above where Paul explains everything.

Comment

Now where did you get this idea from? :mischeif:

As it's an aftermarket ecu any solenoid will work the only difference will be the duty on the solenoid to produce a set boost level ala this thread http://www.motorgeek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10296

Comment

Bram:

I have not fitted VEMS yet.

But at one of the mapping session I did run with the Turbosmart solonoid in dual port mode. However I used the dual port mode where it don't dump to atmosphere. This was rather bad since the pressure inside the upper WG cap kept getting bigger and made the pressure rise way to much. But spool up came much earlier.

Currently I'm running eboost2 with the dual port setup where it vents to atmosphere and a 0.8 bar spring. Gives me full bost on my RS2 turbo around 3000 RPM.

HTH
                Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

Ohh yeah I'm using the 40 PSI version and running 1.8bar and that works fine. So I don't see any problems running it with 2 bar.
                  Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

Since the turbosmart solenoid can be connected to replace the N75,then yes you can control it with VEMS and you will need to alter the boost settings PID controls to rearrange the duty cycle of the controller.

As for the dual chamber function i think it will be manageble,again through altering settings and trying them out.

As i said, to begin with, the OEM N75 works like a treat with VEMS,and at least gives me much better control than the motronic did.

By the way, in comparison to Jonas' 4th gear pulls and full boost, i get with the 3071R full boost @ 3200-3300rpm everytime with VEMS and OEM solenoid on OEM configuration. SO my feeling is that with good settings tweeking it should be fine.

Obviously on a much bigger/laggier turbo it might need the dual WG port setup, which is why i may try that on the holset next year IF the OEM setup proves too laggy
                    Last edited by A80Avant; 20 July 2009, 07:41.

Comment

Thanks guys for your comments. I will buy the TS solenoid device a pronto, as I already sold the N75

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                        Now where did you get this idea from? :mischeif:

Comment

no problems with 40psi on with 2 bar.

you can use the solenoid with vems if you code it but i prefer external boost control.

i run vented dual port. have never seen why you would run a ebc single port on and external gate. goona try "quick boost" dual at some point when i fit a fuel pump and dial some in

Comment

Originally posted by GazzaG60 View Post

you can use the solenoid with vems if you code it but i prefer external boost control.
                            Thanks for your feedback. Can you explain why you prefer an external boost controller when you have boost control with VEMS? Is it because it's difficult to setup VEMS with a solenoid?

Comment

more because i like the eboost. so very easy to control with the eboost. i know its an extra 400 quid or so but i set my basis around that.

theres a little history ill cut to the chase. i waqs building a 16vt. bought full defi setup and eboost, built engine and car got smashed into before i got chance to fit it. 1 written off corrado due to costs of panels out of this world. bought an s2. had the defi's and eboost. can be set to hit and hold in around 5 minutes.

not sure if the vems can control the solenoid in various configurations. should be ok with vented dual feed. i learned to map with the use of a boost controller too. you can get a subaru to 360hp (up to p plate) with a boost controller, fuel pump and FCD (fuel cut defender) afr (air-fuel regulator) and thats where i cut my teeth.

also i want to ramp boost as fast as possible and not adjust duty to feed it in or drop off at higher rpm. i got a fairly large turbo and want boost as soon as i can.

i see no issue with control via the ecu. just one more thing to setup. i never disabled anything i just dont have the standard solenoid attrached now.

Comment

Working...
                              X