Coupe Rear Brake Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albert View Post
    Nope. It will be two caliper setup like Audi R8.
    which HB caliper will you use?

Comment

Hi! I have Cayenne 18z (6-pot) calibers with 345mm discs front in my S2 coupe. Now I should choose which one to rear 300mm or 330mm discs? Rear calibers also from Cayenne (4-pot). I would like to have the best possible balanced braking on the track. Which one would you choose?
      Last edited by Settari; 23 April 2019, 17:17.

Comment

I have few sets left if anyone is interested when I had my old ones remade again. To be used with r8 brembo mechanical HB calipers. I also run 996 Boxster s rear 4 pots 300x22mm discs with custom brackets.

Comment

Handbrake calliper brackets you mean ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lefrog View Post
            Handbrake calliper brackets you mean ?
            Yes hb caliper brackets

Comment

How much do you require ?

Comment

Hey guys!! If anyone able to help fast! I am at a workshop till friday.. so i can do this work as part of loads more.. inam looking on how to do the rustys 300mm rear brake upgrade. The link here isnt working for me. Can anyone tell me what i need so i can order it in asap. As im changing pads n discs atm n fluids etc..

need to order asap so any help would be appreciated. Ie links or parts list or link to his brake upgrade.

Huge thx in advance ! Xxx :-)

Originally posted by Sonic View Post
                Just thinking about available rear brake upgrades for the coupe and thought i'd put it all in one place...

I remember having 996 323mm on the front with the urS4/6 280mm vented rear setup and it was balanced perfectly under breaking, ideal for road use, however the RS6 365mm setup i have upfront is epic but means the car tends to dive under heavy braking so i'm looking at alternative options.

Rusty has his trusty 300mm / 314mm budget upgrade with uprated discs, carrier and pads but the same caliper.

Then there is the S2Central.net 280x22mm vented rear upgrade with urS4/6 caliper, A/S8 carrier and pads. Pete Reeve had the set available for sale here.

The main problem is the handbrake mechanism on the coupe, so beyond this a separate handbrake caliper is required.

The next stage that i've been looking into is the 4-pot 996 monoblock caliper, 330mm discs, customer carrier and R8/Gallardo handbrake caliper from VRS which comes in at around £1500 with second-hand 996 calipers, new handbrake caliper and carriers, discs, pads and labour.

Are there other options/upgrades that people have looked into or fitted?

Comment

Is this the thread you are looking for?

Rusty 300/314:
                  https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...-brake-upgrade

S2Central 280 mm 8E0:
                  https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...-brake-upgrade

Those links should work for you and all the part no's should be in them.

S2Central 280 mm parts list (removed Avant references to avoid confusion):

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                  I finally have an update for you - its been over a year in the making but hey --->

http://homepage.mac.com/nugentp/PhotoAlbum16.html

The final configuration for the S2 Coupe (NOT Avant or Sedan) is as follows.

300x22mm rear disc from neu S4 - part number = 8E0 615 601R (2-off)
                  Diameter reduced to 280mm - no other mods to disc - cost 20 quid for machineman

280x22 carrier from the S8 - part number = 4D0 615 425C (2-off)

Rear caliper from UrS6 - same as RR quattro - part number to follow
                  This caliper has a bigger piston than the S2 item. Topology is perfect.

S8 pads for those 280mm discs - part number = 1J0 698 451L
                  The pads are sited perfectly on the disc surface by the carrier. No overhang.

4 x 50mm long caliper carrier bolts - part number = N101 815 02
                  Shortened to 35mm. The 30mm original bolts are too short cos of carrier spacers.

12 x M10 washers approx 1.25mm thick
                  Arranged three deep for a ~4mm spacing to centre the S8 carrier over the disc
                  These are a bit fiddly to fit cos they get sandwiched between hub and carrier - a properly made spacer bracket would be more elegant and easy but its no biggie.

To complete the transition I renewed the hydraulic lines to the caliper - same as S2 hose along with new spring clip for the union bracket. Part numbers below:

S2 Coupe rear hose = 893 611 775 (2-off)
                  Union clip for hose = 4D0 611 715B (2-off)

Fitment to one side of the car is complete - bad light stopped play ! My rear discs are now bigger than my fronts until I get the 996 monos fitted with A8 323x30 discs but thats another entirely more easy story. This exercise is just to get me thru MOT - then I'll get to the front anchors

This disc reduction to 280mm was only necessary on the Coupe cos of the handbrake routing to the caliper - the UrS6/RR caliper is a perfect fit on the Coupe application.

The total price of everything for my vented rear disc conversion on the S2 Coupe from S4/S6/S8 parts isn't as lairy as you might think. Most expensive item is the S8 carriers as you'll not find them in a breaker easily. The discs are cheap. The pads aren't expensive and I paid about 100 quid for two good calipers of a 1997 S6 from a breaker.

Paul

PS - Note that whilst its not necessary to change your handbrake cable for this conversion you might decide to do at this time just to refresh everything on the rear brakes. If you do, then note the following :

Coupe handbrake cables are different each side - 893 609 721E and 893 609 722E
                  The Coupe handbrake fits the S6/RR caliper with spring clip 857 609 745A (2-off)
                  Last edited by k.alle; 17 June 2020, 13:51.
                  Audi S2 -1994 | 480 Hp 650 Nm | FlexFuel | MaxxECU | 3" Stainless | Porsche GT3 Front Brakes
                  http://www.garaget.org/?car=52877

Comment

Huge thx!! Xxx

Comment

Originally posted by mac2226 View Post
                      I have few sets left if anyone is interested when I had my old ones remade again. To be used with r8 brembo mechanical HB calipers. I also run 996 Boxster s rear 4 pots 300x22mm discs with custom brackets.
                      Hey Mac, do you mean you have a few bracket sleft for this rear 300mm setup please? Im after this asap.

This goes for anyone on this forum. Has anyone got any of these brackets i can buy and get hold of please?

Thx in advance x

Comment

Pete at Quattro corner has Urs6 rear carriers at £100 each. I've been hunting for these for a while and they are not easy to find. I ended up with S8 rear carriers which I believe are the same.
                        Nothelle S2 Avant
                        Black Ur project
                        Ocianic Ur project gone
                        S2 Coupe project gone
                        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Hey thank you Dave! omg thats a bit steep! almost too much

Comment

Yes, it is. Especially as Colsey just sold a full set for £80 or there abouts. I paid £150 for carriers and calipers and they have come up good. Happy hunting.
                            Nothelle S2 Avant
                            Black Ur project
                            Ocianic Ur project gone
                            S2 Coupe project gone
                            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

I have gone myself for a8 calipers , carriers and bracket from epytech.de and phaeton rear brake disc 330mm.Didnt had time to put everything together to check the hand brake operation. We'll see..

Comment

Originally posted by Costash View Post
                                I have gone myself for a8 calipers , carriers and bracket from epytech.de and phaeton rear brake disc 330mm.Didnt had time to put everything together to check the hand brake operation. We'll see..
                                Hi, I'm interested in part list for phaeton calipers upgrade for my Coupe S2, could You give me some specs?
                                OOOO

www.AudiKlub.org - the oldest and biggest Audi Club in Poland :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X