Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does your battery light in your dash come on when the ignition is turned on ?
    If it does then obviously the bulb is OK but does it go off when you start the engine ? Is there still a feint glow when engine is running. If there is then you have either a regulator fault or you could have a rectifier fault !!
    If it doesn't then it can be either of 3 things. 1) the bulb is blown. 2) The wire feeding the negative signal to the bulb (other side of the bulb is fed with a + feed) from the alternator, is broken (open circuit) 3) the alternator isn't supplying the negative signal to the bulb when it is spinning more than 2500rpm, this is usually marked on the alternator as 'L'

Remove the wire from 'L' at the alternator and with your ignition switched on, short it out to ground - the bulb in the dash should light.

Also check your earth straps from your alternator to engine - engine to bodywork.
    Also check, using an old 55W halogen bulb (or a 21W indicator bulb, but no smaller) whether you have a good +12v feed (approx battery voltage) to the back of the alternator. You may be showing +12v with a multimeter but multimeter's have an internal resistance of thousands or even millions of Ohms so using one will not show up high resistance bad joints/wiring within your system VERY IMPORTANT !!

RULE OF THUMB - never use a multimeter to check for +12v on a vehicle electrical system - ALWAYS use a high wattage bulb for a start and then a multimeter to check the actual voltage

Any one of these problems will cause the alternator to not be 'excited' into working and you would get the problem you are getting.
    It's worth checking this out.
    Jim B
    97 S6 AAN Quattro Avant C4 | Powerflow Cat Back EX | Milltek Hyperboost RV | MAC N75 Valve | FMIC | HID's (Dip & Fog's)| MRC Re-map SII | Carbon interior | De-chromed | Short shift | Samco Air Hoses |

http://smogthemog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for your input Jim,

Yes the battery light doest come on when i start the ignition and no it does not go off when i start the car,

However with the old VR the light will go off and the Battery gauge will go up from 10V to about 12 once the engine revs exceed 2500.

With the New VR the light doest go off at all and the voltage gauge stays at about 10V.

I am therefore presuming that the New Voltage Regulator is ether faulty or not making good connection with the brushes on the Alternator shaft.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.
      Bo
      91 S2 coupé - RIP
      98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

I would still check the rectifier out too. The solder joints from the coils to the Rec can go dry.
        Hopefully it is just the VR and a replacement will cure it for you
        Jim B
        97 S6 AAN Quattro Avant C4 | Powerflow Cat Back EX | Milltek Hyperboost RV | MAC N75 Valve | FMIC | HID's (Dip & Fog's)| MRC Re-map SII | Carbon interior | De-chromed | Short shift | Samco Air Hoses |

Comment

S2 Bo did you ever cure this problem,

My car has exactly the same problem.

Thanks

Ian
          1991 S2 3b, Samco Hoses, RS2 IC, 18'' RS6 Wheels, Forge Dump Valve, Scorpion Exhaust System, Decatted, MRC Remap

Comment

ALL generators you by have only 14 v regulator( gives ca 13,6-13,9 volt) THEN you cant recharge the batteri,,, NO WAY.... acid weight only 1,22.. have tryed some of the genrator and regulator.... have a new reg to my audi200 10v MC1 its not a borsch its: CARGO pn 134342... HUGO have 15 v too
            IF the light in the dasch for gen not will light up, the bulb are gone, if the light come on when the key are in the pocket, the diodes inside gone, and the if the light come on when driving the the copperring innside are gone, or some diodes are gone....

Comment

Originally posted by ian_jemo View Post
              S2 Bo did you ever cure this problem,

My car has exactly the same problem.

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian,

The New VR turned out to pretty much solve the problem. It did take a little while to run in though.

Now the ABS and Bat lights come one every so often but go of straight away as soon as you rev above 2K rpm.

I have done about 1500 miles with it and its been fine so far.

The voltage stays around 13.1V so not ideal but not to bad ether..
              I think ill takes johns advice and will get it refurbished some time in the future.

Good luck mate.

Cheers.
              Bo
              91 S2 coupé - RIP
              98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

I have the same problem and i think it just the cold.

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20241
                sigpic

Comment

13,1 volt a really god batteri gives 13,1 volts itselves, no carge at all:mischeif: have my new regulator fitted today: the cold wether gives some cold batteri too, so only 14,3 volt i hope it gives more when its charged and when i drive a bit to work
                  go to a garage, where they have a acid weight, and meschured.... 1,28( 1,275) are full charged batteri, not when its full of liquids...
                  the last regulator have a short ciruit; gave only 18,3 volt

Comment

Thanks S2 Bo, I'll probably a buy a voltage regulator and clean up all the contacts, I'll see what happens.

I'm glad your problems fixed, It can be a pain in the Butt

Thanks

Ian
                    1991 S2 3b, Samco Hoses, RS2 IC, 18'' RS6 Wheels, Forge Dump Valve, Scorpion Exhaust System, Decatted, MRC Remap

Comment

Ok, good luck Ian.

Here's the part that i used: (might be worth going for a 15V one though like caterpillar suggested )

IMG_2229.jpg
                      91 S2 coupé - RIP
                      98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Crikey, that is worn down

Looks exactly like the one I replaced on my old A6.

Just remember to make sure your alternator drive belt is tight too as many people make the mistake of not checking this !

Run your vehicle at idle and turn on full beam lights (and fogs if you have them), heater fan and rear windscreen heater and stick a multimeter across the battery contacts.
                        You should have a voltage there of over 12V. If not then try turning off all the above so that just the engine is running. If the voltage then rises up to 14v approx - your belt is slipping. This slipping is sometimes accompanied by a horrible squealing sound from the pulley.
                        The mechanical load on the alternator from the electrical current load of the devices switched on in the car will cause the belts to slip if loose.
                        Jim B

Comment

Well I can see you definately needed to get use changed. I'm sure mine can't be alot better.

Where did you get your VR from?

Don't suppose you know the part nuber for the 15v one?

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by ian_jemo View Post
                            Well I can see you definately needed to get use changed. I'm sure mine can't be alot better.

Where did you get your VR from?

Don't suppose you know the part nuber for the 15v one?

Ian

Some one from the forum lent it to me.

No, sorry i dont know any part numbers for 15V VR's

Cheers
                            Bo.

P.s. Thanks smogthemog, ill give that a try
                            91 S2 coupé - RIP
                            98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

As bosch handily supplied an incorrect part number, (suggested 1197311548) and subsequently the part I thought i'd hunt for the right one and if possible the 15v version of the voltage regulator too. Quick search revealed the following:

http://www.woodauto.com/Component.aspx?Ref=VRG46410 15v upgrade replacement

http://www.woodauto.com/Component.aspx?Ref=VRG4641 14v straight replacement

3b with a/c
                              http://www.woodauto.com/Component.as...=EXA2111271152

3b no a/c
                              http://www.woodauto.com/Component.aspx?Ref=EXA211127902

ABY
                              http://www.woodauto.com/Component.as...=EXA5111021102

RS2 with a/c
                              http://www.woodauto.com/Component.as...=EXA2111761202

RS2 no a/c
                              http://www.woodauto.com/Component.aspx?Ref=EXA211163902
                              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Have just bought the 15v VR but i am needing to get the condenser type thing that bolts on under slam panel and is connected to the alternator ...Anybody have one?..or know the part i am on about

Cheers
                                93 S2 Avant Parting
                                91 URQ RR
                                02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X