Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 15volt combats volatage drop accross the wiring. You don't actually get 15 volts

You'll see a steady 14.7 instead of 13.7-14.1

And no bulbs wont blow etc what kind of old wives tale is that?

If the mod is not for you I understand but don't say it will blow bulbs

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
      The 15volt combats volatage drop accross the wiring. You don't actually get 15 volts

You'll see a steady 14.7 instead of 13.7-14.1

And no bulbs wont blow etc what kind of old wives tale is that?

If the mod is not for you I understand but don't say it will blow bulbs
      Jamo, most of the old wives tail would appear to be in the benefit of having a 15 volt regulator.

You're right, the mod isn't for me but it is a matter of fact that incandescent bulbs, i.e. the ones used in cars before LEDs came along are very voltage sensitive along the lines I said due to the physical properties of the tungstan filament they use. The higher the voltage you run them at, the shorter their life will be.

John

Comment

I think mine might have gone. Is there still no 15v upgrade for the ABY or have i missed it? The only option i could see is this:
        http://www.woodauto.com/Component.aspx?Ref=VRG46402
        3'' Longlife Exhaust, Koni Adjustables, H&R Springs, Full RS2 Setup with Mr Nugents RS2 Chips (just need the RS2 Airbox)

Comment

Originally posted by stevieyid View Post
          I think mine might have gone. Is there still no 15v upgrade for the ABY or have i missed it? The only option i could see is this:
          http://www.woodauto.com/Component.aspx?Ref=VRG46402
          Can anyone confirm the above is the only option for an ABY for the voltage Regulator? Mine has definately gone now so i need to replace it. Where is the best place to ge tit from?
          3'' Longlife Exhaust, Koni Adjustables, H&R Springs, Full RS2 Setup with Mr Nugents RS2 Chips (just need the RS2 Airbox)

Comment

Can anyone confirm the above is the only option for an ABY for the voltage Regulator? Mine has definately gone now so i need to replace it. Where is the best place to ge tit from?
            It is and from the link you've supplied

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
              It is and from the link you've supplied
              Cheers Jamo

Comment

Ordered this regulaotr : http://www.woodauto.com/Component.aspx?Ref=VRG46402 and it does not fit. Im not sure which one i have now

Comment

Sell it me! are you sure you haven't got a 3B alternator?

3B is on the left ABY is on the right

Comment

Terrybullwon if fitting it for me. I will get him to have a quick look on here and see what one i have. Cheers Jamo

Comment

Terrybullwon if fitting it for me. I will get him to have a quick look on here and see what one i have. Cheers Jamo
                      I spoke to Chef about it a while back

Comment

About bulbs:
                        Light output is rated at 13.2v, while lifetime is rated at 14.0v.

Light output increases with the 3.5 power of the voltage ratio (applied voltage/rated voltage), but lifetime decreases to the inverse 12 power. Going above 14.0v at the bulb can thus dramatically decrease life expectancy for the bulbs.

Note that high output bulbs like Osram Nightbreakers have a rated lifetime of only 50% of a standard bulb.

In my own car, I've got 15v+ at the bulbs, so Nightbreakers would only last a few hours (BTDT). While it might seem counter productive to run so much voltage that I need to run a lower output bulb, it really isn't so. I get much more output out of a standard bulb at 15v than I would from a Nightbreaker at lower voltage. In addition, the bulbs that I use cost less than 2 quid a pop.
                        The result is HID like output with a road legal setup.
                        Last edited by EspenW; 27 October 2009, 08:46.
                        1995 RS2 on Alcohol (6.8sec 100-200km/h)
                        1994 80E Avant
                        1986 2L Golf 2 on Alcohol

Comment

Turns out i do have a 3b alternator. So the best one to go for is this one, is that right?
                          http://www.woodauto.com/Component.aspx?Ref=VRG46410

Comment

Originally posted by smogthemog View Post
                            Crikey, that is worn down

Looks exactly like the one I replaced on my old A6.

Just remember to make sure your alternator drive belt is tight too as many people make the mistake of not checking this !

Run your vehicle at idle and turn on full beam lights (and fogs if you have them), heater fan and rear windscreen heater and stick a multimeter across the battery contacts.
                            You should have a voltage there of over 12V. If not then try turning off all the above so that just the engine is running. If the voltage then rises up to 14v approx - your belt is slipping. This slipping is sometimes accompanied by a horrible squealing sound from the pulley.
                            The mechanical load on the alternator from the electrical current load of the devices switched on in the car will cause the belts to slip if loose.
                            Hi,

My alternator is making sound and voltage is 14v in idle. All lights and power recurses on and its 12v.
                            Few days now i have red light and 10v when i start the car. If i put sem revs the needle is on 14v.
                            I have a spare alternator to. Does someone know is BOSCH 034 903 016D alternator right to my car?
                            It looks like belt is tight..

Comment

Can someone help me?

Comment

Check if your belt is tight? Start simple first.

Comment

Working...
                                X