X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changed Voltage Regulator but still low voltage?? 15 volt regulator

Hello,

I have a little problem.

For a good few months now the car has been showing low voltage until the engine revs above 2500rpm.

The other posts on here suggest that the most likely candidate coursing this is the Voltage Regulator on the back of the Alternator.

I Replaced this just now:

IMG_2229.jpg
    91 S2 coupé - RIP
    98 S8 - Luxury barge

After i refitted the new one, witch was surprisingly easy with out the Aircon rad in the way i am now still only getting about 9v when the engine is first started and then about 12.5 when the engine revs go up above 2.5k.

Does any one have any ideas as to why this might still be happening?

Should i have cleaned all the connections inside the alternator? I.e. where the VR brushes connect?

This is what it looked like:

IMG_2236.jpg
    91 S2 coupé - RIP
    98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

I have also tried measuring voltage with a multimeter but am not quite sure what to connect to on the back of the alternator? would someone point this out to me please?
      (should the multimeter be set to AC or DC?)

IMG_2246.jpg

Thanks in advance as always.

Cheers.
      Bo
      91 S2 coupé - RIP
      98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

You need to set it to DC,you can test the voltage at the battery terminals.

Comment

Originally posted by spink
          You need to set it to DC,you can test the voltage at the battery terminals.
          Thanks,

91 S2 coupé - RIP
          98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

and the regulator does NOT have the right figgs; it will be 14,7 or 15 v.... 14 v are TOOOOO LOW( gives only 13,7-13,9)
            when are the battery full, when its full of liquid , or its full charged??? the acid weight are full charged with 1,275 / 1,280.... go to the garage and have it meshured, if you dont do it yourselves....

Comment

i have the same prob as bo, voltage comes up a few seconds after starting the engine.

Anyone know how much a new alternator is? i think i will replace my battery with a new one in the new year too.

cheers
              Pearl white 91-S2-3B K&N cone air filter - Home made induction pipe work - 18" RS4 replica alloys - Yokohama Parada Spec 2 rubber - Colour coded body work - Bilstein/H&R suspension - s/s 3in turbo back Longlife exhaust - SFS water hoses - Samco boost hoses - RS2 FARB - RS2 eyeballs - Squeaky interior trim & 2 bar!

Comment

Hmm, ok.
                The new VR actually doesn't work as well as the old one -

infant with the new one in i cant get the warning lights to go off at all..

I think it must be a faulty part, unless the brushes are not making good connection on the alternator tracks.?

Thanks caterpiler, ill see if i can find a 14.7 or 15V on
                e, however the old 14V one used to work fine
                91 S2 coupé - RIP
                98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Sounds like might be time to get a new alternator Bo
                  Could be a fault in the stator or rotor possibly....could even just be dirty slip rings on the rotor.
                  If you can be bothered you could strip and rebuild your old one...I did this a few weeks ago and it was a PITA to get it apart. new brushes...new bearings...new voltage regulator....
                  cleaned all parts and rebuilt with new bolts....

Comment

All the S2 and 7A alternators ive seen have been 14v.Although if you measure it when the car is running it is slightly higher.

Comment

if you by a container full of alternators the volt regulator are only 14 v-and thats TOO LOW. change the regulator to 15 v, the fuel consuptions are lower, and the lights are over 50% better.... and the batt are full charged and will last a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by caterpillar
                        if you by a container full of alternators the volt regulator are only 14 v-and thats TOO LOW. change the regulator to 15 v, the fuel consuptions are lower, and the lights are over 50% better.... and the batt are full charged and will last a long time.
                        I think what he is saying though mate is that the light never used to come on..and the voltage regulator has always been 14v I would guess!!

but do you have the PN for 15v regulator please??

Comment

Originally posted by s2dude

but do you have the PN for 15v regulator please??
                          Yes please.

Sounds good.

I also heard there was a company in England that can recondition/improve the normal 14v ones.

-

Im just surprised that the new 14V VR is not working at all .
                          91 S2 coupé - RIP
                          98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Bo your slip ring looks pretty worn in that pic, I'd get the thing refurbished.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by s2_bo
                              Yes please.

Sounds good.

I also heard there was a company in England that can recondition/improve the normal 14v ones.

-

Im just surprised that the new 14V VR is not working at all .
                              it could "possibly" be due to the contact area of the carbon brush not being bedded in to the slip ring shape yet??
                              Unlikey but possible. If you look at the old brush it will be shaped at the end like the stator.

may be worth cleaning the slip rings also (the bit in your pic)

see here for the best method

Ace alternator website!

Comment

Working...
                              X