No announcement yet.

Lets have a mass debate on OIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who are interested to see what the Audi S2 tuners uses, I have found this information on there websites, forums and by e-mail:

MTM: Castrol RS 10W-60 (for over 10 years)
    KRB Trading: 5W-50 at the most because of hydraulic lifters
    Dialynx: 10W-60 or 10W-50 or 10W-40 synthetic
    VS Motor: 5W-50 synthetic because of hyraulic lifters
    Dahlback 5W-40 synthetic in winter and 10W-60 in summer
    ABT: Same as manufacturer (10W-40) if no hardware changes are made
    V-Max: Castrol 10W-60
    Hohenester: Castrol TSW (replaced by Edge) (I assume 10W-60)
    Coen Donkers: Kroon 10W-60
    034motorsports: Redline 20W-50 (before that they used Mobil 1)

If you have any other tuner's opinion please make a reply and let all of us know!

Audi itself recommends (Castrol?) 10W-40 with VW Norm 501.01 and 500.00.
    And Rallycross guru Tommy Kristoffersson used Castrol RS 10W-60 in his S1/IMSA specifications Audi S2 X-trac (according to his specification sheet*).

* Interesting fact is that Rallycross most common engine builder (next to Trollspeed) and Cosworth guru Julian Godfrey is on this specification sheet!

Comment

• I have another one for you:

FatAudi80 Uses Silkolene Pro-S 10W50 Fully Synthetic 'cause that's what Oilman recommends.

And your point is?
      The Perfectionist
      sigpic
      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fat Audi 80
        I have another one for you:

FatAudi80 Uses Silkolene Pro-S 10W50 Fully Synthetic 'cause that's what Oilman recommends.

And your point is?
        I think at least a 50 series is not overdone... But real good tuners know the engines from inside out and ofcourse there is more then just a oil temp to say which one is good...

I agree with Oilman about the weigth of 40 and 50, this is exactly the result from a Dutch test with Subaru Impreza's which was done for the Dutch Subaru Club in conjuction with Jan-Willem Engel of Kendall Oils from America and their KLASS lab.

I don't agree with Oilman on it's opinion on Synthetic oil, as the Subaru test showed that all the (synthetic, semi-synthetics and mineral) 10W-40 oils performed better than all other (0W-40, 0W-30, 5W-30, 10W-30, 10W-60) oils except for the 50 series.

One of the conlusions of this massive test was that Synthetic / Anti Mineral freaks where proven wrong...

Link to the test:
        http://www.extreme-machines.nl/downl...pport_2004.doc

Comment

• I am still not sure if you are asking us or telling us

To be honest all your posts seem to be about the same subject with lots of information and opinion offered but no real background to your requests/questioning.

Perhaps you could introduce yourself and your car and I will be less suspicious.

Cheers,

Steve.
          The Perfectionist
          sigpic
          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1975DCS
            For those who are interested to see what the Audi S2 tuners uses, I have found this information on there websites, forums and by e-mail:

MTM: Castrol RS 10W-60 (for over 10 years)
            KRB Trading: 5W-50 at the most because of hydraulic lifters
            Dialynx: 10W-60 or 10W-50 or 10W-40 synthetic
            VS Motor: 5W-50 synthetic because of hyraulic lifters
            Dahlback 5W-40 synthetic in winter and 10W-60 in summer
            ABT: Same as manufacturer (10W-40) if no hardware changes are made
            V-Max: Castrol 10W-60
            Hohenester: Castrol TSW (replaced by Edge) (I assume 10W-60)
            Coen Donkers: Kroon 10W-60
            034motorsports: Redline 20W-50 (before that they used Mobil 1)

If you have any other tuner's opinion please make a reply and let all of us know!

Audi itself recommends (Castrol?) 10W-40 with VW Norm 501.01 and 500.00.
            And Rallycross guru Tommy Kristoffersson used Castrol RS 10W-60 in his S1/IMSA specifications Audi S2 X-trac (according to his specification sheet*).

* Interesting fact is that Rallycross most common engine builder (next to Trollspeed) and Cosworth guru Julian Godfrey is on this specification sheet!
            QST Motul 5-40w 300 V power IIRC Which was oilmans recommendation as it happens.
            Alastair
            RS2

Comment

I am still not sure if you are asking us or telling us

To be honest all your posts seem to be about the same subject with lots of information and opinion offered but no real background to your requests/questioning.

Perhaps you could introduce yourself and your car and I will be less suspicious.

Cheers,

Steve.
              Ofcourse! I have just bought myself an Audi S2 last week and before that I had a Murena 2.2S, Ford Sierra RS Cosworth, Citroen Xsara VTS, Astra C20LET (Turbo) and Astra DTI.

As I did not have the owner manual a few weeks ago, I started to do some "homework" like I did with the previous performance ones... In this search you come along all sorts of things and sometimes there are things in which I don't agree. Especially if someone is telling things like "if it is good for a 1500 bhp it is good for my Sierra RS Cosworth" and therefor I make my reply. But ofcourse I could be mistaken just like anyone else and some good answers in the past has learned new things for me...

For example: If you would asked somebody 10 years ago what the best way is to do for a 500 bhp they would have said T4, low compression and 8 injectors, while at this point it is very different GT35, higher compression 4 injectors. You learn things by reading (everywhere, also on the internet).

So my replies are both questions, answers, quotes, or passing through other (interesting?) information I have found. Maybe we all learn of see things in a different perspective?

Comment

• Originally posted by alg
                QST Motul 5-40w 300 V power IIRC Which was oilmans recommendation as it happens.
                You see this is what forums are about Sharing information
                Alle we have to do now is choose who we believe or thrust. You can find so much contradicting information. I think in this case the argument of VS Motors and KRB regarding the hydraulic lifters is a good one, so I will most certainly ditch the 10W-60 for a lighter weight oil either 40 or 50...

Comment

• Hi DCS,

Now I understand. Sorry for being a little suspicious of you, my troll senses were twitching and you seemed very focused for a new member!

to the Forum and post some pics of your S2 when you get a chance.

I was using the Castrol RS10w60 (now called edge) but have changed to Silkolene Pro-S 10w50 and feel happier with it. It is certainly thinner and less sticky.

Cheers,

Steve
                  The Perfectionist
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by 1975DCS
                    @ Oilman

On most forums I see people changing oil every 3.000-7.000 km. Is this really need if you would use a very good oil (either 40 or 50)? And why would a manufacturer like Audi recommend oil change at 15.000 km or 1 year, if they could easily earn more if they changed to 7.500 or 1/2 year... What is your opinion on this?
                    Many people change oil very early, for peace of mind I guess and there is nothing wrong with that.

These days it all depends on what car you have etc such as post 2000 BMW, VAG and Mercedes have these long life service intervals and require sepcific oils that can go the distance of huge mileage and time. However for non longlife serviced cars such as Jap and pre 2000 BMW, VAG etc then a good 5w-40 synthetic is good for around 8,000 miles or once a yer which ever comes first, but then you have other factors such as mods and use that can also efffect the life span of the oil.

Cheers

Simon.
                    Use the code S2F and get 10% Club Discount
                    oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers
                    email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
                    phone: 01209 202944

Comment

to the Forum and post some pics of your S2 when you get a chance.
                      Ok I still have to clean up and make a decent picture, but at least here is one...
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Nice
                        oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers

Comment

• Originally posted by oilman
                          The noiser tappets are due to the thinner oil. Not to worry, the oil is flowing more rapidly and protecting better.

The oil will not cure noisy tappets although a thick one will "mask" the noise somewhat, the only way to cure is adjustment or replacement.

Cheers
                          Simon
                          I go more and more with your opinion.

This just keeps me stunned: It seems that in every thread (also for other cars) people are equalling high oilpressure with a good oil. If they could get 5 bars at idle when warm they would do so...

Do people think as highpressure is a good flow? And some say it was running a bit low after a hard drive... How low? When does it become critical? Under 1 bar I suppose? And less smoke also seems to be heard very often, or the turbo needs it, or indeed the ticking stories...

Funny enough Audi is telling:
                          2000 rpm, oiltemp 80 degrees: must be at least 2.0 bar
                          Most of them thick oil users get 3.0 bar at 800 rpm and about 5.0 bar (more than double) at 2000 rpm.

Was Audi stupid with their choise? The could easily changed to a 50 oil. It was available back then too. Most of us drive 95% of the time with just little engine load and temperatures and most of us still have the hydraulic lifters which according to extreme tuners KRB and VS limit to 50 oil as absolute maximum.

Why does this all so fascinate me? Why does oil fascinate all of us?
                          We are nuts about our cars, thats why!

Comment

• Pressure = resistance, flow is equally important. Basic stuff really.

Cheers
                            Simon

Comment

Working...
                            X