No announcement yet.

Lets have a mass debate on OIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motul , Mobile , Castrol , but i can import any if neccesery =].

So Motl then eh ? What exactly ?
    Vadim.

New engine (mechanical PKM head) , Alcon 332mm brakes , Pauter rods , Mahle pistons, GT30R , kw v2 sucpension , new exhaust. 608HP. For SALE !

Comment

I am now using (again) 5-40w Motul in the RS2 instead of 15-50w mobil 1 on your advice re oil temperatures.
      I have a lower oil pressure 1.8-2.0 rather than 2.0-2.1 and noiser tappets on start up.

Should I worry ???
      Alastair
      RS2

Comment

The noiser tappets are due to the thinner oil. Not to worry, the oil is flowing more rapidly and protecting better.

The oil will not cure noisy tappets although a thick one will "mask" the noise somewhat, the only way to cure is adjustment or replacement.

Cheers
        Simon
        Use the code S2F and get 10% Club Discount
        oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers
        email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
        phone: 01209 202944

Comment

alq: you are doomed =]

BTW , I have so noisy tappets(they are like 1000km old) after a good hard run that the noise is killing me =]
          Vadim.

New engine (mechanical PKM head) , Alcon 332mm brakes , Pauter rods , Mahle pistons, GT30R , kw v2 sucpension , new exhaust. 608HP. For SALE !

Comment

Today i have change my oil from Castrol 10W-60 to Mobil1 5W-50!

Subjective the car feels like its accelerating faster, the fuel consumption according to the Board computer is 4 liter/100 km less in the city than before! I will have to observe it further in order to confirm this outcome or to have more precise results!

Did you see that much difference after an oil Change ??
            Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Where did you find Mobil1 5w-50 oil, Billman ? I haven't found any yet around Belgium...
              Midnight Blue S2 - SOLD - 1993 S2 Avant

Comment

In Germany in METRO! but i also find it in A.T.U. !
                Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Thanx !
                  Midnight Blue S2 - SOLD - 1993 S2 Avant

Comment

Just changed my oil monday, with Silkolene Pro S 10W-50 and its purple
                    Chef

Comment

• did you see any change in the fuel consumption!
                      Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• ME, none
                        Chef

Comment

• My fuel economy was better when I tried some 0W-30 last winter.
                          SS

Comment

• Originally posted by Billman
                            Today i have change my oil from Castrol 10W-60 to Mobil1 5W-50!

Subjective the car feels like its accelerating faster, the fuel consumption according to the Board computer is 4 liter/100 km less in the city than before! I will have to observe it further in order to confirm this outcome or to have more precise results!

Did you see that much difference after an oil Change ??

So it is final i am havin approx. 2 liter /100km less in the city!
                            Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• What about changing a batch of car oils on say 4 identical-ish cars which are generally tret the same by the owners, one car with castrol, one with millers, one with silkolene and one with mobil. Try to get oils with similar properties (10w60 etc), then run them for 6-8 K (I usually change mine every 6-8K), then drop the oil while its hot and well mixed, take a sample and have it contaminent tested, particle analysis. This should tell you what metal, and how much is in the oils giving an indication of engine wear. The oil with the least contaminants should be the better of the 4.
                              Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

• The trouble with that Graham, is you don't know where you are starting from. One car could have more "wear" than another and a different history, so comparing different oils in different cars would be a bit of a lottery. I see where you are coming from though.

I am going to Silkolene 10w50 (the red / purple one) on my next oil change, so I will let you know what I think. ( I am on 10w60 castrol at the mo.)

Cheers,

Steve.
                                The Perfectionist
                                sigpic
                                Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Working...
                                X