No announcement yet.

Lets have a mass debate on OIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

with a name like oilman who i'm i to argue with you when it comes to engine oils

Comment

The two important numbers in determining an oils performance and basestock quality are the HTHS and Noack Volatility %.

The HTHS number determines the oils resisitance to shearing and the higher the number the longer the oil will stay in grade. You can only compare oils of the same viscosity i.e. 5w-40 vs 5w-40 etc.
      A typical 5w-40 should be no less than 2.9

The Noack volatility % is important because it indicates the oils quality. The lower the % that evaporated off at 250degC the better quality the basestock is, again the same viscosities should be compared. A typical 5w-40 should be no more than 13%

If you want some benchmark products quality-wise, these ones are hard to beat as they are proper synthetic pao/ester oils and not petroleum based or "hydrocracked" oils

Silkolene PRO S 5w-40
      HTHS 4.07
      Noack 6%

Motul 300V 5w-40
      HTHS 4.51
      Noack 7%

If you then compare the above to an off the shelf oil which is built to meet the minimum required specification this is what you will see.

Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40
      HTHS 2.9
      Noack 13%

When we talk about quality and stay in grade capability you need only to know what basestocks an oil contains to see whether an oil is indeed a true synthetic pao/ester or a highly refined petroluem oil.

If you compare Castrol RS 10w-60 and Silkolene PRO S 10w-50, you would expect to see the Castrol have the higher HTHS but this is not the case as the basestocks are not of the same quality as Silkolene, Motul or Mobil1

Silkolene PRO S 10w-50 - HTHS 5.11
      Mobil1 15w-50 - HTHS 5.11
      Motul 300V 15w-50 - HTHS 5.33

Castrol RS 10w-60 - HTHS 3.70

Unfortunately many oil companies do not quote these figures for obvious reasons.

Cheers
      Simon
      Use the code S2F and get 10% Club Discount
      oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers
      email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
      phone: 01209 202944

Comment

I mentioned "shearing" above also know as viscosity loss, this is an important factor when considering an oil and should be explained.

Why do oils lose viscosity with use?

Viscosity Index Improvers.

An oils viscosity will decrease as the engine temperature rises. Viscosity Index Improvers are added to reduce this thinning. They are a key addative in the production of multigrade oils.

VI Improvers are heat sensitive long chain, high molecular weight polymers that minimise the viscosity loss of the oil at high temperatures. They work like springs, coiled at low temperatures and uncoiling at high temperatures. This makes the molecules larger (at high temps) which increases internal resistance within the thinning oil. They in effect "fight back" against the viscosity loss in the oil.

"Shearing"

The long chain molecules in VI Improvers are prone to "shearing" with use which reduces their ability to prevent the oil from losing viscosity. This "shearing" occurs when shear stress ruptures the long chain molecules and converts them to shorter, lower weight molecules. The shorter, lower weight molecules offer less resistance to flow and their ability to maintain viscosity is reduced.

This shearing not only reduces the viscosity of the oil but can cause piston ring sticking (due to deposits), increased oil consumption and increased engine wear.

Like basestock quality, VI Improvers also vary in quality. As with many items the more you pay, the better the finished article and more expensive, usually synthetic oils are likely to incorporate better VI improvers. All other things being equal the less VI improver an oil contains, the better it will stay in grade by resisting viscosity loss.

Which oils require more VI Improvers?

There are two scenarios where large amounts of these polymers are required as a rule.

Firstly in "wide viscosity span" multigrades. By this I mean that the difference between the lower "W" number and the higher number is large for example 5w-50 (diff 45) and 10w-60 (diff 50) are what is termed as "wide viscosity span" oils.

Narrow viscosity oils like 0w-30 (diff 30) or 5w-40 (diff 35) require far less VI Improvers and therefore are less prone to "shearing".

Secondly, mineral and hydrocracked (petroleum synthetic oils) require more VI Improvers than proper PAO/Ester (Group IV or V) synthetic oils as they have a higher inherent VI to begin with, this is due to differences in the molecular structure of the synthetic base oils compared to mineral oils.

It is a fact that many synthetics require significantly less VI Improver to work as a multigrade and are therefore less prone to viscosty loss by shearing.

Cheers
        Simon
        Use the code S2F and get 10% Club Discount
        oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers
        email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
        phone: 01209 202944

Comment

at least we've got that sorted then i'm going to bed
          1. SHORT SHIFT KIT
          2. PORSCHE CAYENNE CALIPERS
          3. H & R SPRINGS
          4. BILSTEIN SHOXS
          5. NEW BUSHES AND HP2 STRUTS
          6. UPRATED HIGH OUTPUT COIL PACK
          7. ,3" turbo back s/s/ exhaust
          8. fmic fitted

Comment

Now where did I archive those chemistry textbooks

Just kidding Oilman, your explanations are well appreciated I'm sure...
            Midnight Blue S2 - SOLD - 1993 S2 Avant

Comment

Just ordered my First 10 Litres of Silkolene Pro S 10w50 from http://www.opieoils.co.uk which with the "healthy" S2Forum discount was good value!

Thanks to Simon "Oilman" for the advice and discount.

Cheers,

Steve
              The Perfectionist
              sigpic
              Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

I will post some details about this properly on friday. Basically for the discount contact OPIEOILS and simon will provide you with a code to access the members area to get a discount on their products.
                Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

@Simon - do you have any of the more technical details on the Millers racing oil than is available on their website that you use by way of comparason in your above posts? Its interesting and informative stuff.
                  Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S
                    I will post some details about this properly on friday. Basically for the discount contact OPIEOILS and simon will provide you with a code to access the members area to get a discount on their products.
                    And thanks to Greg for setting it up!

Cheers,

Steve
                    The Perfectionist
                    sigpic
                    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Yeah, Cheers Greg!

Comment

So are we saying 10W50 or 5W40 for homefried S2's?

I've let some other forums know about the site as well.
                        Last edited by Jamo; 24 January 2006, 15:23.

Comment

I have gone for 10w50 with an AMD chip. I feel it is a good compromise between the "thick" 10w60 and "thin" 10w40

*waits for Oilman to come along with technical explanation*

Cheers,

Steve
                          The Perfectionist
                          sigpic

Comment

I would say 5W40 for you Jamo, 'cause you don't drive yours properly.
                            Can Oilman do 5 litres of Pro S for <£40? It's a shame you can buy it in 25 litre tubs.
                            SS

Comment

Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter
                              I would say 5W40 for you Jamo, 'cause you don't drive yours
                              That's cos he's getting old now
                              Mark

Race Clio RS197

S2 Coupe ABY (Green) - RIP
                              S2 Coupe ABY (Blue) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by rotoryboy
                                That's cos he's getting old now
                                Bah!

And thanks 4wheeldrifter your soooo kind

Comment

Working...