Lets have a mass debate on OIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by s2avant95M
    OK, I am slightly confused about advice previously given on this forum regarding oil. Specifically it has been recommended that 10/60w oil from Millers or Castrol. There is a thread on Audifans Here that has posts from various people that contradicts this advice and information.

This information states that using this oil over a prolonged period will cause excessive wear and damage to these engines.

Tbh i dont mind who is correct, but i would like to know what the correct oil is for the I5 turbo charged engine, as found in S2's, RS2's etc.

Cheers
    This has been covered on here, with Mihnea and a few others explaining the advantages. Other users like MikeS2 dont' agree as the thicker oil can allow for higher build up of oil temperature within the engine theorectically accelerating engine wear.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo
      This has been covered on here, with Mihnea and a few others explaining the advantages. Other users like MikeS2 dont' agree as the thicker oil can allow for higher build up of oil temperature within the engine theorectically accelerating engine wear.

Ok, so no one is right or wrong. you pays your money, blah blah blah. i know its been discussed before, but i just wanted to try and clarify the position as the other threads are about 9 pages of people saying i put this type of oil in and others who put the other type etc etc.
      Tim

1995 S2 Avant, ruby red - ** SOLD TO ROSS **
      Golf Rallye G60 ** SOLD **
      Golf MK2 Oaky with R32 engine
      Audi A6 Avant 1.9 TDi 130
      Golf MK2 8v Race car

Comment

Ok, so no one is right or wrong. you pays your money, blah blah blah. i know its been discussed before, but i just wanted to try and clarify the position as the other threads are about 9 pages of people saying i put this type of oil in and others who put the other type etc etc.
        Yeh, It's very much like tyre choice, with people with difference preferences.

The only "correct" oil would be the VAG oil in the manual in theory

My car hates 10/40W, it's been alot better on 10/60W although i would be prepared to try the 10/50W stuff.

Comment

Hmm, tyre choice is more of a personal preference as to feeling on the limit and driving conditions. Surely oil is either good for the engine or not so good for the engine, personal preference aside. Though I can see how climate, driving patterns and even the individual engine may can influence the best choice, meaning that there is no sure answer... personally, the chemistry behind fully synthetic oils convinces me. I definitely don't want that oil film breaking in my turbo!

The car currently has millers; oil temps even on hard driving stay low, pressure about 1.8-2bar on idle and 4-4.5bar on the move.
          AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

whenever you find 9 pages of opinion it is usually a sign that there is 'no right answer' as I have found out in the past while trying to get 'a right answer'

For what is is worth my S2 coupe from 1997-2004 had mobil 1 0/5W/40 every 5k. I have experimented more with the RS2 Motul V300 5W40, Synta Gold 5W now 0W/40 and now Mobil 1 15W/50. Changed every 6K ish with new filter. Oil pressure always 2 ish on warm idle although at present the car seems to like to 'eat' 15-50 faster than 0-40 which is not ideal as I switched to reduce consumption. So watch this space for news...............
            Alastair
            RS2

Comment

I've seen two distinct theories regarding, in particular, the viscosity of the oil - for ease of discussion refer to the "thickness" of the stuff.

The thicker oils should provide more contact and coverage of moving parts, and tend to give higher working pressures. This may be good for older high mileage engines.

However, a lot of wear takes place during startup, and a thinner oil in these circumstances should be providing coverage and protection a lot quicker, as it gets to the moving parts sooner.

It may also be true that a higher oil pressure reading given by using a thicker oil is not really an accurate demonstration of the protection being afforded by the oil. I distinctly remember a feature about oil that stated "do not use thicker oil to get higher pressure gauge readings - fix the problem that is causing the low pressure in the first place".

I take that as meaning new bearings and the like.

For my two penn'orth I have used Magnatec 10-40 and I have even used GM synthetic, but to be honest I haven't been able to prove anything with either.

I am willing to hear any recommendations and supporting evidence though, seeing as I am about to embark into the world of higher bhp!

__MDC__
              Martin Cutting

aka Keeper of "The Teutonic Kitten"

It's not better than sex, but it runs it a close second.

Comment

Danb - fully synthetic on a 200k engine? u sure?
                ABY Coupe
                sigpic

Comment

Isn't the point of synthetic that the esters in the oil are controlled in manufacture, so the mix in the oil is much more "accurate" than in semi-synthetics, or the old-fashioned organic oils, ie the right things are in there? I don't see why you would want to not run a car on fully-synthetic oil?
                  Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Here some data:

Castrol RS 10W-60

Dichte bei 15 °C kg/m³ 849,5
                    Kin. Viskosität bei 40 °C mm²/s 177
                    Kin. Viskosität bei 100°C mm²/s 23,6
                    Viskositätsindex 163
                    Flammpunkt COC °C > 200
                    Pourpoint °C - 42

Mobil1 Rally 5W-50

Mobil 1 5W-50
                    SAE Grade5W-50
                    Viscosity, ASTM D 445
                    cSt @ 40º C104.9
                    cSt @ 100º C 17.5
                    Viscosity Index, 184
                    HTHS Viscosity, mPa·s @ 150º
                    Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -54
                    Flash Point, ºC, 236
                    Density @15 ºC kg/l 0.859 it means: 859 KG/m3

Silcolene Pro S 10W-50

Kinematic viscosity @ 100 C ..cSt 18.17
                    Kinematic viscosity @ 40 C..cSt 116.49
                    Viscosity index IP226 174
                    Specific gravity @ at 20 C 0.866
                    Pour point °C -32
                    Flash point, closed cup °C 210

So can someone tell how much worser is the M1 5W-50 than the RS 10W-60 in the High temperature area?
                    Last edited by Billman; 19 January 2006, 08:48.
                    Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

I use Synta Gold in mine.
                      176K.
                      Oil pressure at idle is 2bar and, running, in excess of 5 bar.
                      Always has been.
                      The first owner was **** about oil changes every 3K miles.
                      No idea what he used but the car obviously liked what he did back then and I guess I am reaping the rewards....
                      FWIW.
                      00 Audi B5 S4 MRC550
                      08 RRS TDV6 HSE
                      03 Kawasaki B2 ZX12R 1287cc

Comment

I found this the other day. I plan on trying some........ once my motor gets in the car

"The excellent overall performance profile ensures optimum protection even in the most demanding turbocharged power units in modern performance cars"
                        Silkolene
                        //-\\ ((_)) //)) //

Comment

Okay then here it is straight from the horses mouth. I know this guy ('cuse the pun) is well respected in the motoring community:

He sells all sorts of oils so has no reason to recommend one over another. I am *thinking* about changing to one of the 10w50's....

Email from Oilman:

Steve,

Thanks for the mail.

For your S2 we would recomend either the a good 5w-40 or 10w-50
                          synthetic depending on engine/oil temps.

If they rise above 120deg then look at a 10w-50.

The Castrol RS is sadly just a hydrocracked mineral oil, and is not as
                          good as its made out to be, if you want the best look at the SIlkolene
                          Pro S or the Motul 300v.

Regards

Guy.

Opie Oils

ORDER ONLINE at HTTP://WWW.OPIEOILS.CO.UK <http://www.OPIEOILS.CO.UK>
                          or CALL GUY or SIMON on 01209 215164

Silkolene, Fuchs, Motul, Mobil, Castrol, Amsoil, Brembo, Purolator
                          Filters, Denso Spark Plugs, Splitfire Gauges, DNX Exhausts and more.......
                          The Perfectionist
                          sigpic
                          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

i added the Silcolene Pro S also on the Data lists above!
                            Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80
                              Okay then here it is straight from the horses mouth. I know this guy ('cuse the pun) is well respected in the motoring community:

He sells all sorts of oils so has no reason to recommend one over another. I am *thinking* about changing to one of the 10w50's....

Email from Oilman:

Steve,

Thanks for the mail.

For your S2 we would recomend either the a good 5w-40 or 10w-50
                              synthetic depending on engine/oil temps.

If they rise above 120deg then look at a 10w-50.

The Castrol RS is sadly just a hydrocracked mineral oil, and is not as
                              good as its made out to be, if you want the best look at the SIlkolene
                              Pro S or the Motul 300v.

Regards

Guy.

Opie Oils

ORDER ONLINE at HTTP://WWW.OPIEOILS.CO.UK <http://www.OPIEOILS.CO.UK>
                              or CALL GUY or SIMON on 01209 215164

Silkolene, Fuchs, Motul, Mobil, Castrol, Amsoil, Brembo, Purolator
                              Filters, Denso Spark Plugs, Splitfire Gauges, DNX Exhausts and more.......
                              Useful site. Spent ages getting a source of Motul 18 months ago. Lets see what they suggest given they carry a wide range
                              Alastair
                              RS2

Comment

If some people are going to order from Opie Oils (as I do) let's see if we can get them to recognise the S2 Forum for the club/forum discounts.

Comment

Working...
                                X