http://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/im...on%2010W50.pdf

and the 5W/40

http://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/im...%205W%2040.pdf

this is what I am using currently.
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Looks good Greg, not sure if its ester/PAO based like the Silkolene though.

It looks like it would need to be a request from an administrator/moderator or such to instigate the members discount section of Opie Oils site....anyone?

Comment

@£40 a tin, there will be a fair bit of business there too...

Forum Discount would be nice...
          The Perfectionist
          sigpic
          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

I will get in touch with them over the weekend and see what they can offer us
            Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Excellent idea. Got prompt feedback from my e mail which is nice.........nothing new in it 5W-40 unless high temps. So I will get Motul again me thinks
              Alastair
              RS2

Comment

Audifans has just set up an account for discount.
                Do a quick google search for "oilman" As Steve says, he is well respected for his knowledge and advice on the subjsct of oil.

It's ok to say that "so and so who does this/that and the other" says 10w60 is ok, but then is anyone on here in the oil industry?
                I've never used the Syna gold stuff, simply because I've heard more people say it leaks out all over the place than I've heard say it's good.

Hopefully I've not done any damage using a 10w60 [shrugs, I dunno] and I've just ordered some Silkolene Pro S 10w 50 to replace the current Mobil 1 15w 50 thats due to come out in 800 miles time.
                Oil changed every 5k miles on the dot, come rain or shine.
                Last edited by Jas11n; 21 January 2006, 10:07.
                2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
                2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
                1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

Looking to change oil at the garage meet, it has 4k on it now; so if this goes ahead I'll do the group buy thing!

cheers
                  Ross
                  AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Jas11n
                    Audifans has just set up an account for discount.
                    Do a quick google search for "oilman" As Steve says, he is well respected for his knowledge and advice on the subjsct of oil.

It's ok to say that "so and so who does this/that and the other" says 10w60 is ok, but then is anyone on here in the oil industry?
                    I've never used the Syna gold stuff, simply because I've heard more people say it leaks out all over the place than I've heard say it's good.

Hopefully I've not done any damage using a 10w60 [shrugs, I dunno] and I've just ordered some Silkolene Pro S 10w 50 to replace the current Mobil 1 15w 50 thats due to come out in 800 miles time.
                    Oil changed every 5k miles on the dot, come rain or shine.
                    I think that's the one I am going to go for too.

I don't think we will have done any damage using 10w60 oil in our cars. It is made by castrol and is expensive and says fully synthetic on the tin. Even if it is not a truely fully synthetic oil I am sure it will be okay.

Minhea was recommending it, so it can't be all bad.

I suspect that the 10w50 is probably the "perfect" oil and 10w60 is "okay"

That's they way I see it anyway.

Not changing the oil at all or putting Tesco Value oil in would be "bad"!

Cheers,

Steve.
                    The Perfectionist
                    sigpic
                    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

If you drive your car hard, on roads - never mind the track - without a bigger cooler (in my experience) 60 was the only weight that would stop thermal runaway.
                      S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Ok, it was me that posted the comments on 10w-60 and you really don't need an sae 60 as it has too many drawbacks unless you are running excessive oil temperatures and by excessive I mean 150degC.

You need to understand that an sae 60 is as thick as gear oils creating oil drag which loses power at the wheels, poorer fuel consumption and friction, heat and engine wear.

In the worse case scenario an oil that is too thick causes air entrainment and slugs of air being fed to bearings.

Thick oils are not good for turbo's as they do not dissapate heat as well as thinner ones do.

Your cars handbooks specify sae 40 oils, 0w-40, 5w-40, 10w-40 etc and this is because they need an oil that is 14cst at 100degC as specified by VAG not an sae 60 that is 24cst at 100degC (70% thicker).

As my brother Guy said and quoted in this thread, a good 5w-40 for road and occasional track and a good 10w-50 for modded and a lot of track action.

We like Silkolene PRO S and Motul 300V for the more extreme use as these oils contain no petroluem basestocks only proper synthetic pao/ester ones, the top of the tree Group IV and V basestocks.

The likes of Fuchs (factory fill for VAG) and Motul 8100 are good road oils and will not cost you the earth.

I have been contacted by the Club about access to discounts in the Members Area of our website and hopefully the admins here will be making an announcement soon.

If I can be of help, please feel free to ask.

Cheers
                        Simon
                        Use the code S2F and get 10% Club Discount
                        oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers
                        email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
                        phone: 01209 202944

Comment

Ok, it was me that posted the comments on 10w-60 and you really don't need an sae 60 as it has too many drawbacks unless you are running excessive oil temperatures and by excessive I mean 150degC.

You need to understand that an sae 60 is as thick as gear oils creating oil drag which loses power at the wheels, poorer fuel consumption and friction, heat and engine wear.

In the worse case scenario an oil that is too thick causes air entrainment and slugs of air being fed to bearings.

Thick oils are not good for turbo's as they do not dissapate heat as well as thinner ones do.

Your cars handbooks specify sae 40 oils, 0w-40, 5w-40, 10w-40 etc and this is because they need an oil that is 14cst at 100degC as specified by VAG not an sae 60 that is 24cst at 100degC (70% thicker).

As my brother Guy said and quoted in this thread, a good 5w-40 for road and occasional track and a good 10w-50 for modded and a lot of track action.

We like Silkolene PRO S and Motul 300V for the more extreme use as these oils contain no petroluem basestocks only proper synthetic pao/ester ones, the top of the tree Group IV and V basestocks.

The likes of Fuchs (factory fill for VAG) and Motul 8100 are good road oils and will not cost you the earth.

I have been contacted by the Club about access to discounts in the Members Area of our website and hopefully the admins here will be making an announcement soon.

If I can be of help, please feel free to ask.

Cheers
                          Simon
                          Use the code S2F and get 10% Club Discount
                          oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers
                          email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
                          phone: 01209 202944

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
                            If you drive your car hard, on roads - never mind the track - without a bigger cooler (in my experience) 60 was the only weight that would stop thermal runaway.
                            Would you include the RS2 ?
                            Alastair
                            RS2

Comment

THINK ABOUT THIS: when the IL5 /and some others vw engine are been prod,they DIDN'T have sutch nice oils or similar.....

Comment

@Oilman

When you say 150 its the temperature on the sump because the temperature that the oil has to withstand is more than 300 Degrees celcius!

What do you have to say about the Mobil1 5W-50 ?? Dont know if you got it there but many S2-RS2 drives using it now, here in Germany!
                                Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Working...
                                X