Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Billman
    @Oilman

When you say 150 its the temperature on the sump because the temperature that the oil has to withstand is more than 300 Degrees celcius!

What do you have to say about the Mobil1 5W-50 ?? Dont know if you got it there but many S2-RS2 drives using it now, here in Germany!
    Me
    Alastair
    RS2

Comment

MOBIL 1 to my s2 limo and my porsche 964 turbo

best regards svendsvin

Comment

I have always used Mobil 1 0W-40 in my RS2 since new and have no issues with it - the car uses minimal oil and seems to perform well on it. On average I change my oil every 6 - 8K. My oil pressure at idle when warm is about 1.8bar but as soon as you rev the car past 2000 rpm then the oil pressure goes up to 4 bar or more where it stays in normal driving conditions. My oil temp in normal running is just under 90C - I've tracked the car once and it rose to 100c when pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo
          This has been covered on here, with Mihnea and a few others explaining the advantages. Other users like MikeS2 dont' agree as the thicker oil can allow for higher build up of oil temperature within the engine theorectically accelerating engine wear.
          Only reason I don't agree with the 10W60 oil is that it doesn't meet VAG Spec 500.00 or 501.01.

Here is what the owners manual says:

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk/audi_docs/o...eneral/oil.htm

I personally use VAG Synta Gold and have had no problems with oil loss or pressure / temp issues.
          Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

@Oilman

When you say 150 its the temperature on the sump because the temperature that the oil has to withstand is more than 300 Degrees celcius!

What do you have to say about the Mobil1 5W-50 ?? Dont know if you got it there but many S2-RS2 drives using it now, here in Germany!
            I am talking temps measured in the sump.

Don't know much about it as it's not available here. M1 products are good, in fact I sell them. They would only be topped by the likes of Silkolene Pro and Motul 300V but matched by many other well known oil producers including your very own Fuchs.

Cheers
            Simon
            Use the code S2F and get 10% Club Discount
            oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers
            email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
            phone: 01209 202944

Comment

Sorry i dont get it! What does topped mean sand what does Mached (how do you use this words?)

In comparison with the silcolene the M1 5W-50 has better specs (in terms of endurance in high temps ect)!
              Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Has anyone been using Castrol RS 10w-60 for a very long period of time ? ( I don't know when it was brought to the "oil market" )
                Coz, I was using 5w-40 till reading posts about oil recommending that the best oil for an S2 is the 10w-60 oil...

So I put some in about 3000km ago.

-Hot idle oil pressure went up from 2 to 3 bars.
                -On a cold start in the morning, the hydraulic tappets/rockers have stopped ticking for a few seconds like they usually used to with the 5w-40.
                -Engine noise has gone down and running the engine seems alot smoother.
                -Very slightly less turbo whine on hard acceleration ( overboost )
                -Fuel consumption seems to be identical.
                -Highway cruising oil temperature is identical.

Any thoughts ?

Come on guyz, let's get to the bottom of this !

David
                Midnight Blue S2 - SOLD - 1993 S2 Avant

Comment

I am using Castrol Rs 10w-60 at the moment and have had a similar experience to David. The car does seem to be smoother and quieter on it and holding a better hot idle oil temp. Previously had a 5w-40 also.
                  I went for the Castrol on the recomendation of Mihnea and have to say despite all that has been said in this thread that I think it seems to be doing a great job. My car was main dealer serviced until 60k always using Mobil 1 every 6k, and then has had Millers/Shell/Fuchs/Castrol fully synth for the last 20k.
                  One thing I will say the car always responds well to a service, and is always better on new plugs. However, the RS 10w-60 does seem to hold a better hot idle oil pressure.
                  Next time I might try the Silkolene and see how that goes.
                  Glyn

Ex-Polar Silver RS2
                  Sprint Blue RS4 - new toy :mischeif:

Comment

As far as I know my S2 has been run on Castrol 10W60 for the last 50,000 miles. I have not tried anything else as up until a few days ago I was convinced that it was a suitable oil for my car. Now I am confused again....

I am no expert on oil, but I am an engineer and would like to ensure that I look after my car the best I can.

I think I may try a 10w50 instead. But to be honest I don't think I am gonig to "notice" any difference. I had high oil temperatures before I replaced my old oil cooler and now I cannot get the oil above 90 deg C even on a hard motorway thrash....

Cheers,

Steve
                    The Perfectionist
                    sigpic
                    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

If you use thicker oil, your engine will seem quieter. But your oil pump will have to work harder to push it around, so that will rob you of power, and of course your pressures will be higher.
                      If your oil temperatures don't get much higher than 90°C then i would say 10w50 is still too viscous for you. I would use 0/10w40 this time of year. I tried 0w30 last winter, but I did see low oil pressure readings when the oil temps got high.
                      On a good thrash my oil temps do rise to nearly 130°C, so I now use Silkolene Pro S 10w50. On track my oil temps went up to 130°C, but I didn't see any pressure problems.
                      SS

Comment

I think the 0w-30 oil is no good for any car!

I drive with the Castrol RS10W-60 for almost 3 years now! If the car sits for some days and i am going to drive i had approx. 2-3 seconds of valve tappets slapping then ok! Ca. 5000km after the oil change, it seems theat the oil comsuption rise till there no oil consumption.
                        When the outside temps are ca. -10 i hear for about 3 minutes a tappet hit and the engine noise is higher! So i dont think it is very nice for the engine!

Aside i have also found this in a honda forum:

"Oil change is comming up, and I only want the best for my baby

My driving style is mostly street driving, but I take my car to about 5-6 trackdays during summer.

I've been running castrol rs 0w40 and 10w60 in the past. The 10w60 seem to work fine at the track, but lasts no more than about 3000km before its broken down and oil consumption get crazy high. The 0w40 is fine at the street but burns when at the track. I change my oil about every 5000km regardless of how many trackdays I've been at (I live in the city so I cant just change the oil whenever I want to).

So, at least here in Europe, I've been recommended to try the mobil1 5w50 or the 0w40. On the paper these oils have way superior specs to the castrol rs oils (Pour Point, Flash Point, Fire Point, Total Base Number, Sulphated Ash content etc etc).

But when I search the archives here I see lots of you US guys are complaining about burning a lot of oil when using the mobil1 0w40. The 5w50 I can't find anything about in the archives, so I take it you don't get that one in the US?

So what should I do? Should I look only at the oil specs and buy the best one (mobil1) or what? I get kind of nervous reading about so many US people burning lots of oil using the mobil1 0w40..... Are there other factors to the oil than what you can read on the specs?"

Answer1:

No need to be nervous. Many ITR engines burn oil, without anything being wrong with them. Don't be nervous - just check your oil level frequently, and add more if it's low.

Answer2:
                        They are complaining about the Mobil1 5W-30 or 10W-30. I haven't seen someone using and/or complaining about Mobil1 0W-40 yet.

The M1 5W-50 is also the factory oil for the McLaren Mercedes SLR. It doesent say much but id like to wright it!
                        Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Good news guys,

Simon from OPIEOILS has arranged a discount for forum members. I will post full details once we have confirmed how it will be run
                          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Sorry i dont get it! What does topped mean sand what does Mached (how do you use this words?)

In comparison with the silcolene the M1 5W-50 has better specs (in terms of endurance in high temps ect)!
                            How is that then, do you have the HTHS and NOACK Volatility figures for the M1 because without these you can tell nothing.

Cheers
                            Simon
                            oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers

Comment

Look at these numbers for yourselves, I decent 5w-40 or 10w-50 is perfectly suitable to cope with the sort of temps you are seeing in most of your cars.

The 10w-50 could be considered for extreme use really, we have Customers running 700-1000 bhp cars on Silkolene Pro S 10w-50.

The question is, at what (sump) temperature is the oil at a viscosity that suits a modern high-RPM engine.

Most modern day engines are happy on an oil viscosity of 10 to 15 cSt which is sae 30 to sae 40. (But many are OK on less than 10.) 30cSt is too high at high RPM. It can lead to foaming, air entrainment and cavitation.

............Temp. for 30cSt (Deg. C).......Temp. for 15cSt.......Temp. for 10cSt

5W/40..................71...........................9 0........................117...............
                              10W/40................70...........................99. .......................118...............
                              10W/50................80...........................109 .......................130..............
                              10W/60................89...........................119 .......................142..............

This shows that a 5W/40 or a 10W/40 is perfectly adequate for all engines except those that run an unusually high temperatures.

Hope this helps

Cheers
                              Simon

Comment

On page number 2 i have the data of the silcolene, Castrol and M1 !

Mobil 1 5W-50
                                SAE Grade5W-50
                                Viscosity, ASTM D 445
                                cSt @ 40º C104.9
                                cSt @ 100º C 17.5
                                Viscosity Index, 184
                                HTHS Viscosity, mPa·s @ 150º
                                Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -54
                                Flash Point, ºC, 236
                                Density @15 ºC kg/l 0.859 it means: 859 KG/m3

The i dont get it thing means that my english is not so good to understand them!
                                Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Working...
                                X