This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mihnea
    I beg to differ Dave but I know of at least 8 people in germany running 400+ HP on ABY engines and 2 stacked head gaskets with no issues so far.
    Need to know asap - should I put 2 RS2 head gaskets on Mihnea?
    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Head bolts have to slackened in the opposite sequence to tightening! Otherwise distortion can occur. So start from the outside and work inwards.
      sigpic
      Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
      Audi UR Quattro
      Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
      Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
      Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

I know for a fact that Volvo used two gaskets to reduce compression ratio. But these were two paper gaskets and non turbo cars. Not sure Doug, but the man from delmonte he says yes, so it must be OK. Woth a try, worse thing it can do is blow out! A bit like this one
        Attached Files
        sigpic
        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
        Audi UR Quattro
        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Doug, If you'd like a copy of the 3B repair manual give me a shout. I'm sure all the basics, like torque settings and tigtening sequences will be similar.
          91 Modded 3B
          14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Whilst head is away being sorted send a new Cam chain as well. No point in not changing that if everything else is being done. Not sure on P/N but it was about £15 from Stealership.
            A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

Originally posted by A6 AVANT
              Whilst head is away being sorted send a new Cam chain as well. No point in not changing that if everything else is being done. Not sure on P/N but it was about £15 from Stealership.
              It's on the list - the BIG fooking list.

It will have 2 RS2 gaskets At least if it doesn't work I will have reusable studs instead of the one-use head bolts. And it will be a shame not to stick in the 7A Exhaust Cam

Comment

I told some people at work what happened and got this back:

I'm not completely up to speed with your exact requirements, but do have a
                little experience of threaded inserts.

You could try also looking at other types of threaded inserts, e.g.
                keenserts or even the spiralock type of thread form (greater spread of load
                across the thread form).

Typically in a thread form it's the first thread takes the majority of the
                load, with progressively less load being seen on the other threads roughly
                out to a minimum at about the fifth complete thread.

All inserts, correctly installed, should enable a high strength threadform
                to be inserted into a lower strength body. If you are concerned about
                over-torqueing use a graduated torque wrench, either that or remember that:-

Stripping Strength = basic shear area A x shear strength of material

Shear strength of the material can be approximated to .7 of the UTS.

Basic shear area = pi.Le.Ds 1/2 [1+{0.577 (Ds - En)/P}]

The above assumes that the thread strips at the by shearing along a
                cylindrical surface containing the creast of the bolt thread. Use of inserts
                raises the shear strength of the material (hardened thread engagement), but
                relies on the bulk of the parent material not permitting thread dilation
                (walls keep the thread from bulging out).

Just ensure that when you tighten you keep the values low enough to not
                weaken the parent material.

Your concern is thread failure due to stripping the internal thread (the
                weaker material). This can be thought of as removal of a cylinder (really a
                helix) of material by shear. The outer diameter of this cylinder is the
                outer diameter of the bolt (the external thread), and the cylinders length
                is equivalent to the depth of engagement (thread length).

Previous overtightening will start to cause ductile failure of the thread,
                usually as the thread loading on the first few threads start to stretch
                beyond their elastic limit (exceeding the UTS of the material part way up
                the thread crest). This can rapidly give rise to a catastrophic failure as
                the crack propogates up the thread form, 'unzipping' the thread form.

Using a higher strength insert, it allows higher torque values to
                resisted/utilised, by ensuring that the overloading of the first thread
                crest does not occur (higher UTS). this is assuming that the parent material
                does not allow the thread to 'bulge' outwards under torque loading - this
                would then allow the forces to move to the outer part of the thread crest,
                and possibly result in extrenal thread strippage (a bad thing TM).

Alternatively, utilising a different thread form (e.g. spiralock) allows a
                more even distribution of the load across all the threads.

Either way, standing over the mechanic and making him use a graduated torque
                wrench under pain of pain would be recommended!

Comment

@ Doug and whomever is interested in this:

here's what I've gathered regarding a twin head gasket install:

First off, a few people say that it's only necessary for 450+ HP upgrades and mostly only for people running at high speeds on the highway, like 5k+ RPM in 5th and 6th gears....

I for one, think it's not a bad idea to drop the CR a bit, just for the piece of mind that one can run more boost and more advance, and the engine will also rev happier due to that actually...

So, this involves having 2 new headgaskets, you have to drill the rivets off of them very carefully so you can separate all the layers that make each gasket.

I think the point is to reproduce the same layer pattern with the new gasket as with the old one, thus to add one more layer or something like that. Having not done this yet myself, I can't really tell more but if need be, I think I can ask a few germans who have already done it, in case more details are needed.

Apparently, 1more mm thickness drops the CR by 1 full point, thus to about 8.3:1 or thereabouts...

Cheers,

Mihnea
                  '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
                  info@MRCTuning.com
                  Workshop Directions

Comment

Originally posted by Mihnea
                    I think I can ask a few germans who have already done it, in case more details are needed.
                    Cheers Mihnea - definitely need more info - I was assuming you just chucked both in, one on top of the other. Might have parts and head back before xmas (probably not) so could do with this info.

Doug

Comment

@Doug - The manuals for all the ABY mechanicals are on Erwin if you need them.

Paul
                      Paul Nugent
                      Webmaster http://S2central.net
                      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Doug,

Contact me offline regarding the manuals.

Cheers,
                        Mike
                        Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

There IS enough meat on stock S2 pistons to remove at least 1.5mm safely. I had a set of S2 pistons (4 for a Mk2 16V turbo conversion), the customer wants to run big boost later after running in. It cost me £25 to get them milled (-1.35mm) at my local engineering firm. This was even done while I waited. You can remove the pistons WITH the motor in situ. Don't take long at all.

Siena

Comment

Originally posted by audiman
                            I know for a fact that Volvo used two gaskets to reduce compression ratio. But these were two paper gaskets and non turbo cars. Not sure Doug, but the man from delmonte he says yes, so it must be OK. Woth a try, worse thing it can do is blow out! A bit like this one
                            Pardon me but "paper gaskets"? I never heard of a paper head gasket!!!
                            Dave K.
                            USA
                            1991 e//S2 (home built S2 - the only way to get one in USA!)
                            2001 S4

Comment

Nearly all headgaskets are made from paper! Be it several layers compressed together. Only some turbo charged cars petrol and diesel use steel layered gaskets. I have done a few in my time, trust me!
                              sigpic
                              Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                              Audi UR Quattro
                              Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Originally posted by audiman
                                Nearly all headgaskets are made from paper! Be it several layers compressed together. Only some turbo charged cars petrol and diesel use steel layered gaskets. I have done a few in my time, trust me!

Yep, this old and wise man has spoken right
                                '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
                                info@MRCTuning.com
                                Workshop Directions

Comment

Working...
                                X