Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car Broke down! :/ after full revs Any help /advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dont know what happens to these cars in the UK, but i have had 4 S2 coupés and one avant. One of the coupés i owned for 6 years, none of them have had any water leaks?
    Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more pic´s of my cars

Comment

• Well I emergency sealed up the grommet and fuse box and anything or signs in the scuttlepanel area last night before the torrential rain this week. Hope it helped!

Comment

• Read the sticky Post on the subject.

Sunroof drains, sealant between sunroof frame and body are good candidates. Less obvious but also capable of causing a leak would be stress fractures in the body shell scuttle around the fusebox and interior fan blower motor. The seam sealer around my blower motor had failed with tiny cracks in it and that was letting water creep in apparently through the body shell where it ran along under the dashboard and was dripping behind the carpet into the passenger foot well.

Madness seeing it happen but once the glove box was out of the way, it was clear as day.

Comment

• Thank you so much guys! muchly appreciated! I shall inspect tonight after this crazy rain already

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris5044 View Post
            ******, theres still some water getting in still after checking after this rain.. ffs.. have I missed something? will check this heater matrix issue and re-read the other threads
            This weekend I left my lhd coupe outside a couple of nights ago in the rain. Yesterday morning I found my ecu, which I had not remounted, in a puddle of water in the right side (passenger for me) foot well. to make a long story short, I found that there is a drain hose from the blower housing where the heater core is. This hose is supposed to route through the firewall to drain outside of the cabin, but instead it was draining into the foot well. While this may not be your problem, you may want to check it out.

Comment

• When the windscreen is replaced they usually don’t seal the trim back properly.
              The water gets under the trim above the door and runs down inside the A pillar.
              Removing the door rubber, drilling out the rivers and sealing it properly is quite a big job. I sealed my with epdm gasket so that it’s still removable if a screen has to be fitted.
              A good temporary fix is to stick a strip of gasket across the front of the door card where it closes against the dash, this routes the drips out side the door seal to drain outside the car. I have this fix on the driver’s side.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

• Hey thank you again, upon inspection I have found less water ingress, so my sealing mission may have been successful.. I shall continue to observe and go over the other points made.

Comment

• This is where you will see the water with the roof trim/ A pillar leak.

How to position the gasket strip.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris5044
                    Hey thank you again, upon inspection I have found less water ingress, so my sealing mission may have been successful.. I shall continue to observe and go over the other points made.
                    Good news
                    I noticed this morning my gasket bodge had slipped so I redid it and took a couple of pics.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by newsh View Post

Good news
                      I noticed this morning my gasket bodge had slipped so I redid it and took a couple of pics.
                      wow!! dude! Thank you so much!! The pictures say all! I couldnt quite work it out in my head clearly! Thank you so much for your input and care. Goodluck with your leak!

Comment

• The drain near the ECU is for the A/C system (at least in my LHD ABY Avant) and it ends under the car in a soft semi closed rubber tube (possibly to prevent any strange visitors too crawl up into the car like ants) and sometimes with dirt it gets obstructed and doesn´t drain the humidity condensed by the A/C, you have to get a rubber pipe of the same size and disconnect the drain tube under the glovebox (In LHD cars), and then blow as hard as you can it will sound like an elephant!I

And how do I know this? A few years back I went on vacation and did a 200mile trip with the A/C on, near the end of the journey I had to go up a mountain with a lot of curves and had smoke coming into the car from the central vents, kept calm as it didn´t smell because was only water vapour leaking from the drip tray on to somewhere that vapoured it, in the end of the journey I had 1/2 an inch of water colected in the passenger footwell, dried it up easely as it was summer, but it could have dripped into the ECU as it sits out of place in the front of said footwell and finished my summer vacation before it begun, so now every year I dismount the drain pipe from the tray and open it up by blowing into it preventing it from clooging again!

Comment

• Hey psiconauta911, would this drain be a plastic like vent coming from the centre part of the dash? ie from where the 3 sensor gauges and in front of the gear stick?
                          In the drivers side footwell (RHD car) there is a plastic kind of vent that comes from like the centre console area and then feeds to the drivers footwell as a flatter plastic vent. around that was the wetness, but on the side nearest the drivers door.

Could water be getting in from this vent? and what is this vent? is it ventilation for the back seats? -- is there a leak elsewhere?

Comment

• Hi,

If the vent you mean is a thin rectangular section plastic channel kike the nº31 in the first picture than it´s the ventilation channel for the feet in the rear seats.

The drain I talked about is the nº31 in the 2nd picture and is the drain from de evaporator housing o the A/C and i located where the passenger footwell(LHD) meeets the center console in the upper left corner, in my case the water collected in the base of the footwell but it was a lot!

Have you tried tasting the humidity your getting to exclude refrigerant loss through the heater matrix? Is your coolant level dropping even a tiny bit?

I get an error when I try to upload a png file so I´ll leave you 2 links with the images:

1st link nº 23: https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+80.../8/819-819030/

2nd nº31: https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+80.../8/820-820010/

Comment

• I think you mean nº 23 in this picture: https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+80.../8/819-819030/

In my post I was refering to nº31 in this one: https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+80.../8/820-820010/

Comment

• Yes that is the plastic vent for the rear seats but is the water coming from the vent or is clecting near it?

Comment

Working...
                                X