Alternator - what choice to make

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, does on the 7A as well.

Heated rear window another big thing, plus potentially 6 headlamp bulbs all on at once.

But still no where near 90A.

Comment

Originally posted by B5NUT View Post
      Doesn't the radiator fan use a ridiculous amount of amps It certainly causes the engine revs to jump when it kicks in
      The fan wants about 38 amp , but it can jump up higher but just for very very short time .i have measured it

Comment

Only an intermittent load, of course.

Comment

Constant 38 amp when running ,, and intermittent load short time. If thats what intermittent means

Comment

I bought a used 078903015A ,, is there a thread on refurbish them ,, i belive Antsa did something like that but cant find the thread

Comment

This has the process on the rebuild. https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...e7#post2078101 It's very simple and a massive saving over buying a new alternator.

Comment

Originally posted by S2_avant 19930325 View Post
                I bought a used 078903015A ,, is there a thread on refurbish them ,, i belive Antsa did something like that but cant find the thread
                Yes I have done it a couple of times, and I've been meaning to do a how-to on the subject but it seems like I can't get anything done these days The pictures could also be better but hopefully they make some sense.

Comment

So i went with recommende alternator. I did maintence on it . It was used. Now i have 14.5 volts in charging and no battery lamp flashing. So there is one problem left.

The oil lamp flashing on dash board. I have changed both the oil sensors/switches on the left side on the engine. The big bulky one and the small one. Hmmmm.

Is it possible that i have bad oil pressure on the big one ,, the small one is to dashboard by the gear lever. It shows 5-6 bars when i start cold. And the big dashboard , the oil lamp starts directly.

Comment

Glad the Alternator sorted out your voltage problem...

If you've changed both the pressure senders and put the wires back back to the correct connections which it sounds like you've done then that just leave's the temp sender to give a signal to set off the Autocheck.

The larger of the two pressure senders supply's the signal for the gauge and the 0.3 bar at idle alarm, it's possible you have a duff sender or one with a different pressure switch, there are a couple of variants. It should say on it which type it is, normally in very faint script on the 17mm fixing.

Check the wiring to all three senders.
                    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Both of the sensors ,, the big one with 2 pins and the on under it ,, with one pin are new. I know they are ok. Which one is the temp sender ??

Comment

The temp sender isnt that the one with one pin ? Which three is there ... it thought there were only 2 sensors that monitors the oil.

Comment

Temperature sender is screwed into the bottom of the oil pump.

Comment

Aha in the front the small one ... if that is at fault .. you get a red flashing oil can on the dashboard ? Is there somekind of oem number on it ?

Comment

even if it shows oil temp can it be broken still ?

Comment

Originally posted by S2_avant 19930325 View Post
                                even if it shows oil temp can it be broken still ?
                                That I'm not sure about, if it's reading the temp correctly I'd assume it's okay....

Check you have the three wires on the side of the block going to the correct locations, if you have the connectors to the two switches the wrong way around it'll set the oil lamp off.

I guess it could also be a fault with the Autocheck unit but I've never seen that happen, it's always something to do with the wiring or switches in my experience.
                                1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                                1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                                1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                                1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Working...
                                X