This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil Pack Wiring Harness - OE

I've just done the frankly terrifying job of tidying up the wiring for my coil packs - te wiring under the cover. All the wires are brittle and cracked to hell so it's no wonder tat the car wasn't happy. I've heat shrink wrapped all the wires in an attempt to get it at least insulated. What a nightmare that was, taking apart the plugs etc.

Anyway, anyone know if you can get a replacement wiring loom or any of the components to make one? Another fun job for another day...
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Sadly no loom available. Plenty of heat shrink and concentration is about the best you can do
    S2 Avant......fully loaded :rock: :bow: Slipper Wagons Rule !!!!!

Comment

How rubbish... A little project maybe.
      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

you can buy the connectors im sure but you'll need the proper crimping tools. not sure what its like at the coil end though. I'll have to take a look this weekend...i want to do it on mine.

Might be a case of splicing some new wire on to the coils and heat shrinking.

If you missed an older post of mine...you can get free raychem heatshrink from the tyco electronics website, you can order free samples.
        1996 Audi S2 - 295bhp and 326lb/ft - Complete Rebuild Project

1994 Audi 80 - 2.0 8v (slow but reliable!)

Comment

Ignition Coil and POS info

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
          ...Anyway, anyone know if you can get a replacement wiring loom or any of the components to make one? Another fun job for another day...
          You can buy the connectors and pigtail wires (pins and a short lead) from Audi (plugs and boots, items 23, 24 and 25 below). You can also buy junior timer plugs and bare pins (no wires) from various after market suppliers. What you can NOT buy is a replacement harness since none exists. (BTW, replacement coils come with a considerable length of wire already attached)

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
          94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

suprising im the first to ask why dont you use coils from a 1.8t/2.5tfsi etc etc

you then have a brand new loom, you can remove the amplifiers and the coils are cheap and easy to replace

Comment

I've not spent any money so far, just trying to repair what I have... Spent enough for the mo!!!
              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I was just chatting yesterday with the parts folks at my local dealer about this. Like Dave said, you can source the connectors with a pigtail from them. You can also source the connectors by themselves. I have new Beru coil packs that are supplied with a length of wire already and I don't want a solder connection in the middle where I have pieced two lengths together. The just need to be cut to length and then crimp on the connector.

SO, I have yet to determine which connector is the right one. There are several in the Audi/VW electrical catalog that look to be a close match. Anyone know?

Comment

So how much wiring to they come with? OE is fairly lengthy, maybe 750mm for coil 1. Just need S2avant to advise on VAG prices...
                  Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

OE Ignition Coil Connector PNs

Originally posted by saltinot View Post
                    ....SO, I have yet to determine which connector is the right one. There are several in the Audi/VW electrical catalog that look to be a close match. Anyone know?
                    The coil connectors are as follows (I think):

1. The three pin female connector housing to connect the coils to the POSs (which have integral male pins on both ends) is Audi 433906233 (AMP 929552) (item 23 below)

2. The three pin MALE connector housings for the primary power from the two white harness connectors to the coils don't show a Audi PN on the white male version (no jokes please) other than "DM4 Austria" and "510011-1500". (These can be scrounged from 3 pin VW Golf III O2 sensors in a pinch). However, as it turns out, the 3 pin male for the female 433906233 is 443906247 (Item 24 below) which should work (other than the colour) (Note the "21" and "22" pairing in the second diagram). (I have new white ones in my hand but no invoice but I bought them from a VAG parts dealer (about 5 years ago))

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Did I say connector?? I meant terminal.....I'm thinking it's one of the ones on the bottom row. 42? I guess I'll get my calipers out and get to measuring one. I'd order one if I could. Unfortunately they come on in boxes of 25.

Last edited by saltinot; 18 November 2011, 04:21.

Comment

Be good to get a list of part numbers together for sure
                        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by saltinot View Post
                          want a solder connection in the middle where I have pieced two lengths together
                          Dont every solder wires together like that...its goes brittle and will break with vibration.

Get some crimped splices and seal with a bit of small 1/8th heat shrink after. proper job! Any good loom will never have solder on it.

If you do want a quick fix, i trialed some heat shrink with the solder already inside. you just heat it up, it shrinks and seals it. It seemed pretty good to me but would always prefer a proper crimp.

Comment

He said he didn't want a solder connection...
                            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I was just saying never solder wires together...much better alternatives

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X