Broken spark plug F5DPOR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RS2_freak View Post
    Anyone know if there any difference between the 'Bosch' branded ones and the same plugs that have 'VAG' branding that are available from dealers/TPS?
    Yes the ones from GSF/Euros are different from the ones TPS sell.
    Cheers,

Chris

Silver S2 Avant : Sold

Comment

Originally posted by pasbogdan View Post
      @Cottis:What power level are you running?
      300-320bhp

Comment

Originally posted by Cottis View Post
        300-320bhp
        Do you get this hp with high iat,agresive timing or you use a confortable k247200 for example.I ask because i see many are so worried about plugs,gapping and the power level most of us have will work just fine with a wire conected to the coil and put inside combustion chamber

Comment

Originally posted by pasbogdan View Post
          Do you get this hp with high iat,agresive timing or you use a confortable k247200 for example.I ask because i see many are so worried about plugs,gapping and the power level most of us have will work just fine with a wire conected to the coil and put inside combustion chamber
          K26 Hybrid, 303MTM chip, Miltek Turbo back, RS IC. Horse power is a guess, I have not had it on rolling road. I've had no issues with my Bosch plugs. I only do about 3000miles per year in the S2 and tend to change the plugs every year anyway along with all other service items.

I just keep reading more and more people having bits of these plugs dropping into engines and thought it wasn't worth the risk considering how cheap spark plugs are. I don't know enough about it to pas proper judgement but happy to go with the general consensus on here as most people are fall more knowledgeable than I.

Comment

More news about Bosch spark plugs!

I´ve replaced the 5 plugs on my ABY less than 1000km ago, out came the VAG/Bosch F5DPOR with 50.000km on them (90% on LPG) they where light grey and had no imerfection at all, in went 5 new Bosch F5PDOR made in Germany bought from one of those internet car parts seller.........and less than 1000km later the engine developed a clicking sound like an exaust leak an soon after begun to fail as I gave it some thorttle....WTF! Took the first plug out and...suprise....the ceramic core had worked itself lose from the metal outer part, than removed the 2nd one...same problem, 3rd one the same as the 4th and 5th...WHAT..all 5 F**KING new spark plugs had the ceramic core going round and round like a "merry go round".

Put the old ones back and all is good with engine now...have to buy new plugs but this time I´ll go to my VAG dealer, it will cost more but quality won´t be so bad, I hope!

WTF is going on with Bosch it´s not like they´re making the plugs in china as the box states "made in Germany" are they in the business of loosing business!

Comment

I bought some NGK PFR7B and was just about to fit them when I noticed that the electrode sits over the core not to the side like the Bosch plugs I was removing, I haven't fitted them because I am worried about the top of the plug hitting the piston.
              Attached Files

Comment

Lol, well, no.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
                Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
                BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
                BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Some pretty funny comments in this thread.

And also some people I guess will not stop using these plugs until they actually have to replace an engine and turbo because of them.

Use NGK, forget Bosch plugs.
                  http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

I use 'red' coil pack conversion and NGK BKR7EIX Iridium plugs. 100% reliable and great performance.
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic
                    Pembo
                    quattro - Original 4WD rallying
                    Rally Car photos

Comment

How many miles on that setup?

Comment

Not many miles but very hard miles in extreme conditions, revs, boost, load, full throtle, temperature etc. This is not a daily driver but a real competition tarmac stage rally car.
                        sigpic
                        Pembo
                        Rally Car photos

Comment

Can you post a picture of the plug that you are using to see how it compares to the PFR7B?

Originally posted by Pembo View Post
                          I use 'red' coil pack conversion and NGK BKR7EIX Iridium plugs. 100% reliable and great performance.
                          Can you post a picture of the plug that you are using to see how it compares to the PFR7B?

Comment

Plenty of photos and info on the web and these plugs seem to be very common now across the VW Audi range. Image is from web.
                            Attached Files
                            sigpic
                            Pembo
                            Rally Car photos

Comment

I've discussed this several times over the years and it must be around 5yrs now since Bosch change their manufacturing locations. The F5DPOR's are just crap plugs whether from main stealer or gsf/euro's. They do not hold upto the punishment of turbo use/combustion heat especially when running big turbo's with inadequate exhaust flow. I've even had them where you can hold the metal nut and spin the whole ceramic centre core that the coil plugs onto spin round.

Everyone to date that I have put onto using the bkr -eix series of plugs have reported better response and smoothness in running.

Putting that aside the failure shown of the sparkplug at the beginning of this thread is actually not down to the plug being faulty but due to the fact a completely inappropriate heat range of plug has been used resulting in pre ignition failure.

Which brings me to the next point as to what plugs to use for what. Unlike Bosch where numbers go lower to indicate a colder plug (ceramic less exposed more resilient to high temps etc) NGK go the other way and the higher the number the colder the plug. With that in mind these are my personal spark plug recommendations based on personal experience of countless engines through the years.

Stock Replacement good for upto 450-500hp BKR-7EIX good for all year round use.
                              Performance upgrade upto 575-625hp BKR-8EIX also useful for track cars at the upper end of the hp bracket during the summer months.
                              Anything over that lot should opt for the BKR-9EIX's

All of them should be gapped to 0.6mm using a proper spark plug gapping tool not feeler gauges.

Also something to note these are all Iridium plugs specifically designed to deal with forced induction situations using very small electrodes to minimise the risk of pre ignition. As an example a BKR-7E which is the copper electrode equivalent run a much fatter electrode and are much more prone to pre ignition failure. However at a cost of approx £1 per plug they are great for setting up at the drag strip as they are considered throwaway tuning plugs. i.e. do a run remove inspect and throw away.
                              UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

Do you know if anyone has used this plug on an RS2, I am worried the top of the plug will hit the piston?

Originally posted by Pembo View Post
                                Plenty of photos and info on the web and these plugs seem to be very common now across the VW Audi range. Image is from web.

Comment

Working...
                                X