Clear All

• For 300 Hp you will be fine, particularly as it is such a short run
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
      For 300 Hp you will be fine, particularly as it is such a short run
      Thanks. I have been considering upgrading the EM to RS2 along with the turbo but as it seems to be happy enough I'll probably just fit the bigger injectors that I have, maybe an uprated FPR along with a remap.

My biggest problem now is finding a rolling road with a door that's 3 meters tall...

MG

Comment

• I would change the exhaust manifold first as it is towards its limits around 300HP
        Greg

Comment

• So a package arrived this morning...

No cracks

I'm trying to put together a package that will give me 300bhp with 300ftlbs reliably and doesn't have to run on 98 octane fuel the whole time. This is a camper after all and we can end up anywhere in it and need whatever fuel is around.

MG

Comment

I would change the exhaust manifold first as it is towards its limits around 300HP
            Is it worth looking at a K24/7200 over my standard Turbo?

My turbo seems happy enough and the engine doesn't smoke.

Again, I'm only looking for 300bhp/300ftlbs and would prefer the power to start at lower rpms as it's in a 2,500kg 4WD Camper.

MG

Comment

• The stock k24 with home fries is a really good compromise. I remember someone using the 2871r a few years back with that criteria which worked well
              Greg

Comment

• Well, I've decided to re-hash the exhaust system and I'm starting with a 3" downpipe.

Has anyone used one of these?

I'm planning on using two 3" silencers in series. The first may end up being a 'two-into-one' straight through design and I'll cap the single outlet off for daily running and have the gasses turn 180Ā° and then into another 3" silencer. It needs to be a sensible volume! I'll put a valve on the outlet of the first silencer so that it'll open up on 3/4 throttle or something similar.

MG

Comment

The stock k24 with home fries is a really good compromise. I remember someone using the 2871r a few years back with that criteria which worked well
                  Agree. 300/300 is an awkward goal. It cannot be reached reliably with a stock AAN/ABY K24-7000 turbo but a "home fries" that emulated the MTM Stage 1+ software will only get you 280 crank hp off a K24-7000. You need a bigger turbo to go higher. The GT 2871 is a faster spooling turbo than the K24-7200 and is more readily available.

That RS2 exhaust manifold will help things in either case.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                  94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

• I've decided to upgrade the lot while I'm in there...

My K24-7200 has just landed. It came up at a good price and I wanted something that I just fit and forget.

So now I have the RS2 EM, Turbo, larger injectors, socketed ECU and I'm collecting parts to build a 3" exhaust.

I'm not that happy with the step up in size from the flange to 3" so I've got a nice cone coming to replace it and get a smoother flow.

All pipes on the silencers are 3"

The first silencer is a twin to single.

I'll run the feed pipe into one of the twins and there will be a valve on the single outlet which will stay shut below say 70% throttle. That way, when just tootling around, the exhaust will double back going out of the other twin, and then over to the second silencer which is an offset 3" in/out.

On throttle above 70% with the valve open, it'll be straight through.

MG
                    Last edited by RS2; 12 February 2018, 17:02.

Comment

• Reading up on FPR, the AAN has a 4.0 bar unit.

Is it worth fitting an adjustable version for fine tuning or am I just asking for trouble?

Like this...

https://store.034motorsport.com/fuel...k-fitment.html

MG
                      Last edited by RS2; 14 February 2018, 12:51.

Comment

• Adjust your base fuel pressure and you'll have to adjust your tune accordingly.

Haven't read the thread yet, just clicked on it... but already seems like the best idea ever!
                        Last edited by PRY4SNO; 15 February 2018, 05:26.
                        Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
                        2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
                        2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
                        1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                        1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

• Biggest thing is actually having the smoothest exhaust pathway. No sharp bends.

Also, this might prove handy for sizing your exhaust.

Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
                          2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
                          2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
                          1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                          1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

• Originally posted by PRY4SNO View Post
                            Biggest thing is actually having the smoothest exhaust pathway. No sharp bends.

Also, this might prove handy for sizing your exhaust.

Thanks. I enjoy the van

I've seen a few graphs now which are similar and they all have different results.

I'm going from the experience of people here and my friends who run rolling road dynos with the 3" system.

I understand that a straight flow path is the best but unfortunately in the space that I have with it mounted in the back of the van (****** all!) I don't have a choice about where the exhaust can go.

The Turbo is facing the wrong way to start off and I use the vehicle off-road so I can't have it slung underneath.

MG

Comment

• What a cool project! Could we please have som pics of the van itself, and the enginebay? Wonder why VW never fit a more powerful petrol engine in these things.
                              Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more picĀ“s of my cars

Comment

• Originally posted by fish View Post
                                What a cool project! Could we please have som pics of the van itself, and the enginebay? Wonder why VW never fit a more powerful petrol engine in these things.
                                Sure

This was when I was testing a set of 2.0 TFSI coil packs. The engine ran worse on these than on the original setup (it was detonating) so I've gone back to the original coils now and it's happy on high octane fuel.

MG

Comment

Working...
                                X