500 BHP with a K26/7????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500 BHP with a K26/7????

Right...the inevitable has happened! I've decided I want more power.

I've read many threads regarding which turbo is best for this amount of power so I didn't want to start yet another 'what turbo for 500BHP' one as there's already quite a few of those.

I know there are probably better ways of going about getting this much power but there's a few reasons I'd like to stick with a KKK hybrid. They look close to stock(ish), I've already modified a MAF hose to fit a large K27 cold-side so I can use my RS2 air-box, will fit my K26 flange RS2 Evo manifold, retains water cooling plus they tend to be pretty bomb proof and last a long time.

So has anyone on here managed to get that much out of a K26/7 and if so how did they go about it, what trim wheels etc?
    Last edited by K Simmonds; 9 September 2016, 15:56. Reason: More info
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

I personally don't think you can achieve 500 hp from a 26/27 , hot side #8 is not up for the job. What can I say is you gonna be happy with it if is properly mapped.

Comment

You might get close with mapped WMI to enable you to maximise the timing. Really I think you will be pushing it.
      IIRC Sonic made 470ish on his KX500, again with WMI I believe.
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I Run a Garrett 3076/82 With same manifoild and KKK flange, RS2 airfilterbox. Dynoed 453 at the hubs.
        Audi Rs2
        Audi A3 Sportback
        Ducati 1098R

Comment

Yeah after doing a fair amount of poking around on the internet I though the #8 hot-side would be the limiting factor, I have a really good one sat on my work bench along with various other KKK components.

There's a company in the state's called Turbonetics that makes a #10 version that can be attached to a Garret CHRA maybe that's a better route...but then I may as well buy a Holset.

Really want to see what be achieved sticking with a K26 centre section, plus I'm on a budget and doing everything possible myself.

Will wait and see what other folks have to say as I'm not in any real hurry, going to be building the engine up this winter so at the research stage ATM

Comment

Originally posted by Audiboys4 View Post
            I Run a Garrett 3076/82 With same manifoild and KKK flange, RS2 airfilterbox. Dynoed 453 at the hubs.
            Ahhh, you posted that while I was writing my last post.

Are you using a Turbonetics hot-side housing?

Comment

A couple of years ago my S2 made this with KKK27/26, Rs2 exhaust / Wagner intake manifold, 3,5" downpipe, deka630cc injectors, 7A exhaust cam and cutted Aby exhaust cam in intake cam, Motronic and E85.
              Attached Files

Comment

E85 aside, you won't make 500 without meth injection with the 26/27. Perhaps a 26/27/29 combo or just opt for a modern turbo.
                91 Modded 3B
                14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Originally posted by SamSam View Post
                  A couple of years ago my S2 made this with KKK27/26, Rs2 exhaust / Wagner intake manifold, 3,5" downpipe, deka630cc injectors, 7A exhaust cam and cutted Aby exhaust cam in intake cam, Motronic and E85.
                  That's a pretty impressive dyno plot, seems to come on to boost fairly early and in some order as well!!! I'd probably be quite happy with that. Am guessing that's with an #8 hot-side and something like 54/81mm comp wheel?

I'm not a number chaser as a rule but given that impeller tech has improved somewhat over the past few years it would be kinda cool to break the 500BHP threshold, however it's pointless chasing the impossible.

I should say this for my S2 not my RS2...that's not getting mucked about with at all.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
                    Ahhh, you posted that while I was writing my last post.

Are you using a Turbonetics hot-side housing?
                    Not shure who made it, thought it was garrett.

This was on 98 fuel.
                    Audi Rs2
                    Audi A3 Sportback
                    Ducati 1098R

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH View Post
                      E85 aside, you won't make 500 without meth injection with the 26/27. Perhaps a 26/27/29 combo or just opt for a modern turbo.
                      I'm considering 26/27/29 options also

I also wouldn't rule out Meth injection at this point though it's another thing to potentially go wrong and I want to try and keep things as simple as possible.

There again Holsets aren't expensive and do the job.

Much to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by Audiboys4 View Post
                        Not shure who made it, thought it was garrett.

This was on 98 fuel.
                        I thought Garrets were T3 flange as a rule, though as I say Turbonetics make a K26 flange hot-side that bolts straight on to a 3076.

We generally get 98/99 Ron fuel in the UK marketed as super unleaded.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
                          That's a pretty impressive dyno plot, seems to come on to boost fairly early and in some order as well!!! I'd probably be quite happy with that. Am guessing that's with an #8 hot-side and something like 54/81mm comp wheel?
                          Yes, i was very pleased to this quite reliable setup, but as always you want more power
                          That was KKK27/26 with #6 hotside, compressor wheel model "3070g" size~53mm and turbine size ~55mm.

Comment

Originally posted by SamSam View Post
                            Yes, i was very pleased to this quite reliable setup, but as always you want more power
                            That was KKK27/26 with #6 hotside, compressor wheel model "3070g" size~53mm and turbine size ~55mm.
                            Thanks for the info, most useful.

That's even more impressive if you were using a #6 hot-side, I guess your cam's played a large part and E85 makes a massive difference, such a pity we can't it from petrol stations over here.

I was planning on using stock 3B cam's but could get my hands on an RS2 exhaust or use a pair of 7A's I guess, I did have some NM's but sold them on...maybe I should have kept them.

I think it's best if I forget trying to obtain 500BHP from a K26/7 and settle for a figure in the mid 400's without too much lag, not that lag bothers me much, that's what a gearbox is for.

The K27 compressor housing I have has a huge amount of meat on it so I could probably get it machined out to accept a 54/81mm billet wheel, currently it has a 48/76mm impeller fitted.

I have a choice of #6 or #8 hot-side housings and a stock exhaust turbine or a back cut one.

So it looks like a 3.5" down pipe is on the cards, I need to fabricate a new centre section fairly soon anyway as the mild steel one I made doesn't have much life left in it, the bloody salt on our roads has eaten it.

Still it cost sod all to make and was an experiment in first place as I wasn't sure how successful it would be, as it happens I'm really happy with how it turned out so I'll simply copy it in SS. At least I know exactly which section's to purchase, I ended up with a few MS one's left over as there was a fair amount of trial and error involved.

Anyway, I have months to make my mind up as I'm leaving the car as it is for the rest of this year.

Comment

Holset HX40 super, GTX3076 or Borg Warner.
                              Cheers'en, AndyC
                              1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Working...
                              X