• Show
Clear All

Hx35 super is better choise for 500hp.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
    Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
    BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
    BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

I hear you chaps....I do like the idea of a HX35 Super and I know I could sell my KKK parts easily or keep them for a future project, the #8 hot-side I have is in expectational condition.

It's going to be months before I actually need to make my mind up so plenty of time to think about things.
      1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
      1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
      1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
      1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
        It's going to be months before I actually need to make my mind up so plenty of time to think about things.
        .....that means immediately after the next Scottish Highlands club run, mid September, eh Kit?

Comment

That made me chuckle mate, to be honest it'll probably be spring time next year when I convert my S2 to the next level so to speak.

I think we S2 owners suffer from a condition called 'NMP' or to give it's full name 'Need More Power' syndrome.

I have three VW's sat doing nothing tying up a load of money and space so my main priority is to shift at least two of them before the Autumn which will involve a fair amount of work to get them into saleable state. Especially with the G60 converted car as a retard had been set loose under the bonnet before I snapped it up from a mate in the trade who was desperate for cash.

I was completely set on flogging my Corrado but upon refection out of the pack it's the one I'd like to retain most. I get on well with LHD, almost go as far as to say I prefer it. Plus it's a totally unmolested two owner car that's covered a mere 65K miles though unlike my Golfs has no history to back this up. I'd never find another one as good and as much as I love MK2's Corrado's are simply better in every regard. It's currently MOT'd and insured as my 'back up' vehicle.

I want the funds from the Golf's to inject into my RS2 which is going to be a great investment as well as a fantastic car to drive.

The S2 can stay looking tatty for the time being, doesn't bother me at all, main thing is it's mechanically sound and great fun to thrash the pants off.
          Last edited by K Simmonds; 9 September 2016, 15:59.

Comment

What about TurboBandits turbos?
            http://turbobandit.com/TURBO-Engine-.../Turbochargers
            Audi Urs4 2.2T Albert K26 Turbo
            Audi 80 B4 quattro 2.2T 10v
            Audi V8 4.2 Manual +LPG SELL
            Audi A6 C4 2.5Tdi
            VW LT28 2.0 r4 55kw Fire vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by ProX View Post
              Never heard of them...thanks for the link will have a good look at their site.

Currently I'm airing towards,

1. Building the the biggest K26/7 I can devise and forget chasing an unachievable goal.
              2. Holset HX 35 super.
              3 Garret 3076 .82 AR with #10 Turbonetics hot-side.
              4. Building a K26/7/9 hybrid
              5. Sell all my car's and live in a mud hut.
              Last edited by K Simmonds; 10 July 2016, 17:51.

Comment

The HX35S is well regarded and bullet proof, if I didn't already have my MD357 that's what my money would go on
                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                  The HX35S is well regarded and bullet proof, if I didn't already have my MD357 that's what my money would go on

Yep, I reckon they certainly offer the best bang for buck and are just as tough as a KKK, pity I need a new EM for the T3 flange.

Oh well best jump on Jonas's group buy, pity the £ is worth sod all.

Comment

RS2+ spec
                    What exactly?

They look close to stock(ish)
                    Yope. The comp housing will be much bigger.

...I've already modified a MAF hose to fit a large K27 cold-side so I can use my RS2 air-box, will fit my K26 flange RS2 Evo manifold...
                    I am not sure about 2 things in here:
                    1. Maybe a compressor housing flowing 500hp or more will be too big for matching to the Wagner manifold without touching it, same on the other side to the airbox.
                    2. Wagner manifold is MAYBE nearly too small for such hp numbers.

stock 2.2 capacity using a flowed head, currently have 3" down-pipe but don't mind having to fabricate a 3.5" if required.
                    3" should be enough for 500-550hp. Capacity is no matter- if a turbo can do 500 hp, it can do it on a 1L motor, and it will still be limited to the same power level on 5L motors.

So has anyone on here managed to get that much out of a K26/7 and if so how did they go about it, what trim wheels etc, is it even possible?
                    Yes, it is possible. I have one, that should be able to do 500hp, and there are even ways to go bigger.
                    Last edited by Quattronaut; 16 July 2016, 01:18.

Comment

Limitting thing COULD be the "8" hotside housing, but here I know some guys that are between 430 ans 450hp with a "6" one, and my "turbotheory" guy and I believe, mine should work.
                      If the "8" is too small, use a "10" housing. The stock KKK ones do not have the K26 flange, but T25 AFAIK, and are mad of gold or platin, if you watch the price...I do not know the Turbonetics ones and nothing about their quality, but maybe they fit to K26 flange.

Compressor side is easier. There are 4 different wheels for power steps above 450hp, 2 of them are able to do 500hp+: 2877 and 3071 for 450hp, and 3371 and 3375 for 500-600hp. All of them are "K27" wheels Maybe the 2877 is still a "K26" one.

These are newest generations kkk comp wheels, 2-3 generations newer than the stock S2/RS2 wheels, and with therefore much more performance in in similar size. Search for the BorgWarner Airwerks turbos, these turbos use some of those comp wheels. They are near to the EFR, but fit our flanges and motors.

Comment

Originally posted by Quattronaut View Post
                        What exactly?

Yope. The comp housing will be much bigger.

I am not sure about 2 things in here:
                        1. Maybe a compressor housing flowing 500hp or more will be too big for matching to the Wagner manifold without touching it, same on the other side to the airbox.
                        2. Wagner manifold is MAYBE nearly too small for such hp numbers.

though those bigger versions not with K26 flange, I think they use T25 flange.
                        But you know-KKK is not cheap. Calculate around 2500-3000€. At least.

3" should be enough for 500-550hp. Capacity is no matter- if a turbo can do 500 hp, it can do it on a 1L motor, and it will still be limited to the same power level on 5L motors.

Yes, it is possible. I have one, that should be able to do 500hp, and there are even ways to go bigger.
                        I was hoping you would respond.

I have a recently rebuilt 26/7 at the moment which I'd like to upgrade, good point on checking the cold-side will clear the manifold. I will check this.

I really don't want to have to purchase another manifold, especially as the £ is so weak at the moment, so would like to stick with the brand new Wagner RS2 Evo one I already have which is K26 flange. At the end of the day I'd happy with anything over 450BHP....500BHP is not the be all and end all but would be nice.

I want my engine bay to look as close to stock as is possible, going to be revising my current breather system and catch tank set up as it's quite ostentatious, thinking of using a Mann Pro Vent. I really want to be able to retain my air-box, I don't like cone filters.

I'm capable of building a turbo myself, have cobbled together a couple of tiny ones for VW TDi owners with no money and they've always out lasted the rest of the car. Obviously I can't do any machine work on housings or balance them but I can get this done for very reasonable prices.

Turbonetics are an American company, they are well regarded from what I've read on various website's.

Here's an example of one of their K26 flange hot-side's, they will fit Garrets but not KKK's which is a pity.

http://thmotorsports.com/turbonetics...5/i-77597.aspx
                        Last edited by K Simmonds; 9 September 2016, 16:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Quattronaut View Post
                          Limitting thing COULD be the "8" hotside housing, but here I know some guys that are between 430 ans 450hp with a "6" one, and my "turbotheory" guy and I believe, mine should work.
                          If the "8" is too small, use a "10" housing. The stock KKK ones do not have the K26 flange, but T25 AFAIK, and are mad of gold or platin, if you watch the price...I do not know the Turbonetics ones and nothing about their quality, but maybe they fit to K26 flange.

Compressor side is easier. There are 4 different wheels for power steps above 450hp, 2 of them are able to do 500hp+: 2877 and 3071 for 450hp, and 3371 and 3375 for 500-600hp. All of them are "K27" wheels Maybe the 2877 is still a "K26" one.

These are newest generations kkk comp wheels, 2-3 generations newer than the stock S2/RS2 wheels, and with therefore much more performance in in similar size. Search for the BorgWarner Airwerks turbos, these turbos use some of those comp wheels. They are near to the EFR, but fit our flanges and motors.
                          Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Can you tell me what sizes the 3371 and 3375 are and can they be purchased directly from KKK?

Will have a poke around on google when I get time.

Comment

Right I'm glad you mention the potential cold-side to exhaust manifold clearance issue, I've done a quick mock up and it fits but I don't think I'd get a larger cold-side on there. There's about 2/3 mm clearance, I guess material could be removed from either component to give more room but I'd rather not do that.

The inducer could be increased in size considerably as there's a lot of material on the housing, it's currently fitted with a 48/76mm wheel.

Attached Files
                            Last edited by K Simmonds; 11 July 2016, 15:14.

Comment

[QUOTE=K Simmonds;911268]Right I'm glad you mention the potential cold-side to exhaust manifold clearance issue, I've done a quick mock up and it fits but I don't think I'd get a larger cold-side on there. There's about 2/3 mm clearance, I guess material could be removed from either component to give more room but I'd rather not do that.]

When you fit the #8 got side it should push the cold side further from the manifold to give more clearance. You also have the option to fit an extra manifold gasket. I've done that before with no issues.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Comment

My RS2 runs on K26/27 hybrid turbo providing 1.9 bar boost, Wagner EVO RS2 intercooler and exhaust manifold, Dekka blue band injectors 480cc, ported and gas flowed head, 3" ss system, decat silencer pipe and Milltek back exhaust, single mass flywheel, uprated 19 row oil cooler, uprate bhpengine breather system, Custom map by Dmitri. Makes 440 bhp and 600Nm. I doubt much more is possible without straying from standard significantly..
                                Cheers
                                Don
                                ---------------------
                                Everything in perfect working order

Comment

Working...
                                X