Finally: Bluetooth diagnostics/logging for the B4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally: Bluetooth diagnostics/logging for the B4

I have used Vagcom since 2001 or so and love it, but I have been spoiled by the Bluetooth based solutions for the OBD2 protocols in the post 1996 cars as it only takes an inexpensive BT dongle in the diagnostics port and a free app for your phone in order to see live values, etc for the OBD2 cars.

On our B4s, we have to drag out the laptop in order to use Vagcom, and for logging, I would have the cable come out through the bonnet and in through the window.

In other words, I have been on the lookout for a Bluetooth solution for the B4s.

Enter obdeleven.
    FINALLY a Bluetooth solution that works with our pre OBD2 cars:
    www.obdeleven.com

The BT dongle is approx. 30 quid including shipping and the basic version app is free. Pro version (more helpful for the newer cars) is around 50 pounds.
    Note: only Android at the moment.

We need a 2x2 adapter, but they are only a couple of quid on Ebay.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/VAG-COM-Audi...oAAOSwHMJYLpW8
    Can be purchased inexpensively from obdeleven as well.

For those familiar with Vagcom, obdeleven has most of the features that we know from that (fault codes, basic settings, programming, etc), so much more than standard OBD2 stuff.

The RS2 is in winter hibernation until March or so, but I'm looking forward to seeing live data on my phone for timing, IAT, etc.

I have tested it (w/o starting the engine, and it works great!)
    See pics below:

Live data (engine not running):

Dongle and 2x2 adapter:

Fault codes:

Protocol and engine info:
    1995 RS2 on Alcohol (6.8sec 100-200km/h)
    1994 80E Avant
    1986 2L Golf 2 on Alcohol

Looks great.
    Unfortunately iPhone version looks to be a while away, if at all.. http://obdeleven.proboards.com/thread/430/ios-version

Comment

Originally posted by mouse View Post
      Looks great.
      Unfortunately iPhone version looks to be a while away, if at all.. http://obdeleven.proboards.com/thread/430/ios-version
      Yep, IOS is likely some time away, and might not happen.
      However, Android based devices like basic phones and tablets can be bought dirt cheap.
      My main phone is Windows based (pathetic when it comes to available apps) HTC, so I use an old (but great) Sony Xperia with the OBDeleven.
      1994 80E Avant

Comment

Looks good apart from I read on YouTube something about needing credits?is that correct? Ruins the the thing if you have to pay again everytime you use it

Comment

This sounds excellent. Thanks for posting
          1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

This is great, thanks for sharing
            '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
            '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
            '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Originally posted by spink View Post
              Looks good apart from I read on YouTube something about needing credits?is that correct? Ruins the the thing if you have to pay again everytime you use it
              The credits are basically for one touch coding features., which really only applies to the newer cars (program taillights, etc). You can still code without using credits, but with the multiple step method (like you have to when using Vagcom).
              Check this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tesklrp019E
              Note that you can get free credits as well.

For the B4s, credits only applies if you have the basic version and want to watch live data, as live data is a Pro only feature, but by using credits (in this case 5 credits), you can watch them with the free basic app as well.
              You can get 5 or 6 free credits per day just by clicking on an ad, so it only takes a few seconds. Pretty much the same system as many other free apps with ads and paid apps w/o ads, but here you decide yourself if you want to see the ad (and get free credits). Works well.
              Last edited by EspenW; 21 January 2017, 20:45.
              1994 80E Avant

Comment

Now I need to throw my iPhone into the bin...

Comment

Looks great!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

This looks very nice ! Thanks for sharing
                    Project Audi s2 coupé 1996

http://http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80796]

Comment

I wonder what the abilities of it are for late model 4-connector 7A ECU.... would be wonderful to get inside the running figures of my engine... and well worth it too.

Comment

Has anyone tried live data with this for 2+2 connector car? Excellent if the example is of prj mapped me2.3.2.

Comment

It certainly says it can work with 2x2 connector, I mean essentially a 2x2 connector is just a different shape to an OBD port, the wires are the same!

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
                            I wonder what the abilities of it are for late model 4-connector 7A ECU.... would be wonderful to get inside the running figures of my engine... and well worth it too.
                            What kind of diagnostics connector does it have?
                            1994 80E Avant

Comment

2x2, now with and obd adapter in it

The ECU itself has 4 separate plugs with lots of wires, as opposed to the early 7a which had 1 or 2 connectors.

Comment

Working...
                              X