Mark's Catch Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark's Catch Tank

Mark - Can you please remind me how you connected up your catch tank?

Can you take pics of the where the 2 hoses come from on the block that goto the 2 inlets?

Is that metal pipe going through the rocker cover not used at all?

Does your catch tank drain plug have a one-way valve in it for putting the oil back in through the sump plug - I'm not sure I understand how you don't get oil coming out of that ?

Myself and greg are planning on doing this and Greg has explained it to me, but I just can't picture it
    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Doug, to start with not going to use the oil drain, instead see how much oil collects in there before make the drain if need to.

Idea for the breather just seen though which goes from the cap of the tank.

Breather ]breather[/URL]
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

try this

http://200sx.kicks-***.net/album/alb...ame=miss_nismo
      Greg

Comment

Rahhhhh that looks awesome!!
        Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
        2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

That looks awesome - but how is that plumbed in? Is that just using the pipe in the rocker cover to vent off the top of a catch tank?

I wasn't planning on doing the oil to sump plug yet either - just wanted to know how it worked. I have seen a sump plug that has a valve that connects to a push on 1/2" connector - that would do the job - if we go that route.

Comment

yeah just using that one as a vent pipe, means it keeps the fumes away from getting sucked into the heater blower. But the pip that would norm connect on back of cam cover goes to catch tank and the one from side of block. then the breather cap would connect where that little filter is.

Greg
            Greg

Comment

replacing the breather system with a catch tank was on my wish list as well after seeing Mark's motor. Can you guys keep me informed on how your doing this.
              thanks in advance
              Jim

Comment

Will post a how to guide up as i do it, just goto remember to take some pics as i go. Shouldnt be too difficult to do, and mark has offered to give me a hand with the drain etc if i need it.

Greg
                Greg

Comment

Yeah - I'll take some pics as well.

Greg/Mark - Can you explain what hose we disconnect and connect to the 2nd input if the catch tank - and what happens to the other hose that will be disconnected - Still confused :confused:
                  Attached Files

Comment

AFAIK - a crankcase breather like that which vents to atmos will fail the MOT in UK. My old Coupe failed for just that many years ago. Think it needs to be a sealed system like MarkH in order to appease the testers... Not sure though !

I was wrong about the CO levels on ABY aged cars wrt MOT tests - so thats my disclaimer.

Cheers,

Paul
                    Paul Nugent
                    Webmaster http://S2central.net
                    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
                      AFAIK - a crankcase breather like that which vents to atmos will fail the MOT in UK. My old Coupe failed for just that many years ago. Think it needs to be a sealed system like MarkH in order to appease the testers... Not sure though !
                      Do you mean we have to put a filter on it like Marks to pass an MOT?

Comment

@ DOug -

From the location of the little breather filter on that odd purple engine you showed, there is a pipe which runs inside the cam cover to a connection at the rear of the cylinder head. It is the pipe which normally attached here that goes to the breather input.... I think.

Idea being that you don't let the crankcase fumes and potential oil mist into the inlet manifold for combustive discharge.

The catch/breather tank should have a drain at the bottom which allows any oil blow-by to return directly to the sump and a filtered vent system that disposes of the crankcase gasses. Think Mark employed a spare hole on the inner wing for this purpose with an effin-big braided hose to the tank breather.

This is why Mark's system is MOT legal in deference to a dumb vent filter - the catch tank ensures that any oil is collected and re-used - it is not blown out to atmosphere.

That's how I remember it anyway - need the word from Marky boy himself.

Cheers,

Paul
                        Paul Nugent
                        Webmaster http://S2central.net
                        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Ok - I see what you mean.

Do they wave a gas meter around the engine bay during an MOT to detect leaks/gases ?

Comment

Just been had my car MOT'd, passed with flying colours once the cats where hot enough.

But on the subject of the breather mod, according to the MOT and legal side marks isnt legal either. To be technically correct it must vent back into the inlet. But it isnt part of the MOT to check that necessarily so could probably get away with it.

The problem comes on emmisions if engine is good that thats fine but if engine is getting worn etc it will probably fail on CO on the emissions if its not fed back into the system.

Paul is right on one of them pipes from back of rocker cover, the other comes up from side of the block.

@paul/martyn/mark H, have you got any diagrams laying out how the breather system is piped up as standard?

Greg
                            Greg

Comment

heres a link to graham goodes site explaining breather systems,
                              i know its for cosworths but the basics are the same, quite interesting.
                              Graham Goode
                              choose breather system from menu

martin
                              Last edited by martinjs; 29 October 2003, 15:58.

Comment

Working...
                              X