Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My boost seemed to have dropped off over the last few weeks, I was seeing around 1.5 - 1.6 Bar max..

I made a tool with a paper clip and popped the pins out of the MAF connector and cleaned with fine emery and GT85 and then applied some plumbers silicon lube. I now have a solid 2 Bar of boost and the car is flying! In the past I've always cleaned the pins in situ with a small tool ( they are a bit of a fiddle to get out) this was a much better way to do it, I think this is the best the car has gone for a while

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

Did you reset the ECU though? Massive difference might degrade over time due to ECU learning the new values. Good work on the boost increase though, obviously made a significant difference
      Cheers'en, AndyC
      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Yep, reset the ecu, left the fuses out for 1/2 an hour?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Eventually I cured the coupe of this bad bahaviour by taking the pins out of the MAF connector and cleaning them carefully one by one. When the female pin is removed from the connector you can actually get something betwen the mating surfaces to clean it properly. Removal is done with a paper clip bent into a U shape so the two ends go down each side of the pin to relaese it. I used Caig DeOxit, my favourite miracle connector cleaner, and a very worn-out piece of 2000 grit wet and dry. The spring contacts are actually surprisingly strong which is what convinced me to try a final clean before going for replacing them. Several months down the line I've so far had no further MAF related problems.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Good to hear john and thanks for replying that it works so people know in the future

Comment

On my blue S2, I had massive problems with boost cut.
              In the end it was solved by simply unplugging the maf and connecting it again!

Fast forward to my red one, I had boost cut one day and straight away did the same thing and to this day it has not done again since

Comment

Did any one ever try and use the correct junior timmer pin tool to remove the pins?
                Chef

Comment

Originally posted by terrybullwon View Post
                  Did any one ever try and use the correct junior timmer pin tool to remove the pins?
                  No, I only used a paper clip 'cos the hammer wouldn't fit

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

I would love to have the tool but no where in England seems to have them, shame would be dam handy to have!
                    Chef

Comment

Originally posted by terrybullwon View Post
                      I would love to have the tool but no where in England seems to have them, shame would be dam handy to have!
                      Try asking Brian Tonks, he has a special tool for removing pins from multi-plugs. He got it from an auto electrical shop near him. Not sure it's the one you mention but it sure is useful.
                      sigpic
                      1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                      1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                      1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

I always use these things
                        http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.e...ldingterms.php

Propper handy little device, they come up on eBay cheaper now and again....
                        Audi Nut!!!

Comment

looks like i have similar problem as decribed in this thread.
                          well has anyone bought pins from vag diler ? as i understand they come with 10cm wire or so....
                          what is the best way to weld old wires and new one ?
                          thanks !
                          Audi Coupe S2 1993
                          Audi V8 4.2 1993
                          Audi cabrio 1998

Comment

Maf connector trick worked then Biggs! Excellent! Pop those female pins out and get some worn out 1000 grit wet and dry and contact cleaner between them for a long term fix

What you can't see in that perfect looking MAF connrector is the tiny spot of corrosion between the two faces of the female pins right where they contact the male and the current passes through to clean the filament.

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24544

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

it did indeed john, thanks again!

quite a peculiar problem i must say! I will be doing the above, as soon as i get a day off work.

along with the oil switch leak/g62 coolant switch/fuel filter/wheel bearing. lol.

fingers crossed this should be the last of my problems with the s2
                              ''I'm 999 thou' short of a mill!''

Comment

ABY MAF connector pin removal. Different to my 3B so thought I'd post some pics.

Pull boot off the back of the connector to reveal the pin carrier. There's a little horizontal black bar which is the catch, lift it with your thumbnail to allow the pin carrier to slide out.

With the carrier out you can see on one face there is a flap which lifts up to release one of the tangs on all the pins.

There's an identical tang on the opposite face of the pin which is released by sliding a piece of wire or small watchmaker's screwdriver down the little square hole next to the pin. It helps to push the pin inwards first, slide in the pin tool then pull on the wire, take it easy, if it doesn't slide out easily you havent released the tang!

Take out one at a time to avoid mixing them up. Clean between the faces of the pin with worn out very fine wet and dry soaked in contact cleaner, preferably Caig De-Oxit. Clean the pins in the MAF with Caig too.

Hope that helps!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X