Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All MAFs are equal (but some are more equal than others)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All MAFs are equal (but some are more equal than others)

Just been playing with my cone filter setup and using my old MAF. I bought a secondhand MAF a few years ago and for one reason or another, I've been using it for a while now. Interestingly enough, my old MAF made the car feel quite flat and it had nowhere near the zing that it had with the one I just removed! I remember this being the reverse when I fitted my secondhand MAF, I think this is why I kept it, the car drove better on it!

Hardly suprising I guess, there are design tolerances for all these things and I should really have reset the ECU.

My question is, what does the ECU look for when deciding what fuelling to give on a WOT MAF signal/voltage (as there's no lambada feedback) and does it alter for different MAFs while driving at part load, such that over time, any differences will be ironed out as it normalises the signal at part load and interpolates to WOT...

OR

Does the ECU take the MAF at WOT as gospel and thus it fuels to the new MAF's characteristics and doesn't evert change this?
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

At wot dosen't the ecu bypass the maf and go on purly the map that has been written for wot I'm sure that was mentioned in another thread once
    never set your expectations to high that way you are never disapointed

Comment

There is no separate WOT map, also the MAF is always used.
      The lambda is the one that is bypassed at WOT.
      http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

Seen a reference to this effect today by DieselDes on his 2871 project...

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45226

Originally posted by diesel des View Post
        Paul, just to let you know that the gt2871r on my car eats maf sensors. That's 3 now in 20 k miles. And each new one gives a slightly different afr at wot... Cheers des
        Would be good to log MAF signals and see what the difference actually is. Slovenian MAF will be returned to active duty next week, I don't like cone filters as much as my angry airbox :mischeif:
        Last edited by Rusty; 4 June 2010, 23:28.
        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Andy your Maf was prob just dirty, saying that they do differ. I have stripped 4 mafs in the last month and one was internaly diffrent to the other 3. Also the ones with the diagnostic plug points are diffrent on the circut boards. Maybe that also efectted your signals.

Like you say a ecu reset is a good idea on each change.
          91 S2 coupé - RIP
          98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Ecu Reset

How do you reset the ecu ?
            1995 RS2 Nogaro
            1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
            1974 Lotus Elan+2S 130/5

Comment

The quickest way I know off is via the fuse box. Just remove the two fuses with the red MOTOR cover for a couple of minutes.
              Then refit them and it should be reset.
              HTH.
              91 S2 coupé - RIP
              98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Reset the ECU and it does seem to have made a difference, car is flying on the cone filter, no feeling of heat soak or lag
                Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Mihnea told me he doesn't like mapping a car on a brand new MAF as they change in the first few hundred miles.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

Is that a change in hardware or software tho...
                    Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Working...
                    X