No announcement yet.

Audi S2 Coupe sound upgrade problems and solutions using Alpine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old radio and single din holder out, time to put the new one in.

The old head unit was switched on and off via the switch on the radio. Checked over the weekend for aa existing wire from the ignition switch.

Up to now I have been unable to find an existing original ignition supply to the radio.

It looks like the ignition supply was never fitted by the factory.

I must also add the person who put the old Panasonic radio / multi CD system in did a poor job of the wiring. I will do it better, all joints will soldered and heat shrink fitted.

The mechanical fitting of the radio looks easy bar the support at the rear of the radio. The old one never had a support and the new one that comes with the head unit is to small to fit to prevent vibration.

It looks like I will have to come up with a fix.

The rubber bush is about 3mm smaller in diameter than the hole it needs to fit into. Will get some pictures tomorrow.

Comment

There's a thin red wire on the back of the ignition switch you can tap so that the stereo powers down upon key removal.

Comment

Is that the OEM position were factory makes the connection.

Comment

No it's not wired for the OEM stereo as standard, I think it's maybe for dash lighting I'd need to check a wiring diagram to confirm. It's safe to use and works reliably.

Edit: Just had a quick look at a schematic for you. It's marked as terminal 86s and is wired to the side light/ radio buzzer relay J152.
          On US cars it's used for the seatbelt warning.
          Last edited by Nuvo; 15 July 2019, 22:42.

Comment

So I am part way through sorting the wiring and I came across two wires one brown, I tested it its grounded.

The other wire which was twisted together with the brown is an original wire and its brown but it has a grey line. I tested for continuity and it is open circuit. I have no idea what it is and what it does.

Anybody have an idea?????

Unless I can find what this BR/GR wire is for I will just reconnect to them together and use them for the ground to the head unit. (These two wires were connected to the old head unit - ground connection)
            Last edited by orsum; 16 July 2019, 15:30.

Comment

​Hi!
              yesterday, searching on my garbage music box, searched two pairs of 4" speaker grids.
              One of them just the perfect size if leave the pvc edges.

Quickly put only one and turn on the desk.
              Bufff.... Awesome! The right speaker sounds lowly than the left. And this sounds much "shinely", much clearly.

Installed the right grill, the sound from the front was more powerful if the rear side.
              And must adjust the fader 3 or 4 points to the rear.

Veeery haaaapy (like Mike Oldfield on Amarok) with the new grills.
              Totally awesome​​​​​​
              photobucket SUCKS
              sigpic

Comment

If you ever open your rears then you will find foam covering the inside of the grill.

I am of the opinion if you remove that foam and your speaker are in a good condition you will also have an improvement.

When rebuilding my rears I have removed the foam. Don't know what they sound like yet but I am sure it will be much better. BTW the tweeters also have foam inside.

Good news improvement for free

Comment

The foam in my rears was all perished, no way it was staying in there

Comment

What I have notes on the battery and ignition supply.

The battery permanent supply on the original connector had to be changed to a different position to suit the new radio.

The ignition supply to the radio which was not in the OEM wiring loom is going to go into the previous 12 battery supply position. Getting the pin connection out is a pain.

Comment

Is there an need to connect the white wire which apparently is used for an electric aerial. I have a roof aerial.

Other info on the connections.

Car audio ISO connector A pinout
                      Pin
                      Number
                      Pin
                      Name
                      Description
                      1 A1 SCV - speed-dependent volume control. This pin is used in some radio equipment to automatically boost up the volume. It needs the output from the speed sensor. Note: If the speedometer stops working when the radio is connected, then the pin is probably grounded because radio probably uses this pin for another function, except for GALA. On some equipment this pin is used, instead, for the rear-view camera control input, which carries the 12v backup-light signal to the head unit to tell it to display video from the backup camera.
                      2 A2 Mute from Cell-Phone. This pin is used to silence the audio cd, earthed by some other external components such as a mobile phone that is connected to the radio.
                      3 A3 the reversing light switch. Satellite navigation uses this signal, the GALA signal (pin 1) and an internal laser gyroscope to calculate position in the absence of satellite signals. +12 V input on the radio with the ignition switched on the ignition and the car is in gear to move backwards.
                      4 A4 Memory Power (12V direct from Battery). Connects the radio directly to the battery.
                      5 A5 Power for Electric Antenna. Output from the stereo +12 V (maximum 150 - 300mA) power supply for automatic or electronic antennas.
                      6 A6 Dial-light illumination (car side light circuit). +12 V input on the car when the lights are on. For some it actually illuminates the radio display - the others can dim the lights. If the dashboard of your car has a light control function, this pin should be connected in order to regulate the brightness. The wire from lighting a cigarette lighter can be used for the same purposes.
                      7 A7 +12V Main Power (Switched via Ignition key). +12 V with the ignition key is in the ACC or ON position.
                      8 A8 Ground (Chassis)
                      a4 and a7 pins may be reversed (a4=acc switched, a7=batt fix) in some Head Units, i.e. sony japan . A7 and A4 must be connected to +12V to get radio power on.

Car audio ISO connector B pinout

Connector B is used only for the speakers. Which wire goes to which speaker can be easily determined with a battery of 1.5 V. Speaker will click and you will see the diaphragm move forward or backward. Speakers must be properly phased (note the + and - half on the speaker), because otherwise you will have weak bass. Wire with a stripe usually goes to + pole of speaker.

On my front speakers the wire with the stripe was connected to the negative connection ie the smaller connector on my speakers. I did test the polarity and the speaker is marked correctly.
                      Pin
                      Number
                      Pin
                      Name
                      Description
                      1 B1 Right Rear +
                      2 B2 Right Rear -
                      3 B3 Right Front +
                      4 B4 Right Front -
                      5 B5 Left Front +
                      6 B6 Left Front -
                      7 B7 Left Rear +
                      8 B8 Left Rear -
                      Car audio ISO connector C pinout

Connector C are consist of 3 separate connectors that are tied together. It is not always present, sometimes only a part.
                      Pin
                      Number
                      Pin
                      Name
                      Description
                      1 C1 Line out left rear
                      2 C2 Line out right rear
                      3 C3 Line out ground
                      4 C4 Line out front left
                      5 C5 Line out front right
                      6 C6 +12v switched - maximum 150mA
                      7 C7 RXD
                      8 C8 TXD
                      9 C9 Chassis ground
                      10 C10 +12v switched - maximum 150mA
                      11 C11 Remote control in
                      12 C12 Remote control ground
                      13 C13 CDC data in (bus)
                      14 C14 CDC data out
                      15 C15 CDC +12v permanent
                      16 C16 CDC +12v switched - maximum 300mA (+A)
                      17 C17 CDC data ground (+U)
                      18 C18 CDC audio frequency ground
                      19 C19 CDC audio frequency left
                      20 C20 CDC audio frequency right
                      Warning! The connector wiring may vary depending on the car manufacturer!

Take special care when installing into ’98 or later VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat models as there may be a 12 V connection on Pin A5, which could damage the car stereo or into Ford from ’97 or later, with an ISO connector, on which damage to the car’s microcomputers is possible if misconnected.
                      Last edited by orsum; 17 July 2019, 10:47.

Comment

Pretty sure the white wire supplies power to the amplifier in the base of your roof mounted aerial...
                        Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
                        S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
                        '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

Will take the light out to test.

Many thanks

Comment

A wee tip here guys , to save the needle work try blasting them with the fine nozzle attachment of a Karcher type power washer. Just tried it and it took less than a minute to get one looking like this. Now the rears if they are blocked similar.
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Now you tell me

Good tip and it looks like it works.

Comment

Hehe I know, I started with the needle myself but after a 1 minute or so the job ahead of me set in and decided to try something else.

Comment

Working...
                                X