No announcement yet.

Audi S2 Coupe sound upgrade problems and solutions using Alpine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The person who fitted the old head unit cut off the 8 pin OEM speaker connector.

Waiting for a replacement to arrive.
    Attached Files

Comment

I am 99.9% sure the white wire goes to the aerial on the roof.

I am also 100% sure to goes to the rear speaker right side 5 pin connector, its the connection with the two white wires. (I have not looked at the left side speaker) I measured the resistance of the wire from the radio to the speakers connection and it gave me 8 ohms effectively a dead short. (not quite) At this stage I am not sure why the small resistance.

As you look at the picture counting left to right its the second connection in.

From the 5 pin connection it goes towards the rear of the car and it looks like it goes up the side to the roof aerial. I cannot see it at the roof aerial but I can see a black wire connected to the aerial. I guess the black and white connect in a place I cannot see.

It looks like the white from the radio is also used to activate a speaker circuit to make a sound for a defined time.

With me not using the old rear wiring and speakers to activate a warning sound I will just leave it connected at the rear of the radio and let it put a supply to the roof aerial.
      Attached Files

Comment

The thin red wire on the ignition switch has been found and a new connection has been made for the head unit

Can anybody advise if a fuse needs to be fitted or is the circuit already protected.

Thanks UrS4boy

12th April 2015, 22:27

Originally posted by ujimaflip View Post
        Thanks UrS4boy - very helpful. For ref this is what it looks like in 'real life'. Indeed it is a thin red wire: on the other side - this corresponds to a thin red wire. What size fuse should I put in? The radio is fused itself - is that enough?
        Will attach a wire and check I get 12v on ignition tomorrow.

Great photos. They will be used in an ignition switch wiring post that I will do, with credit to you.

Personally, I would think a 5 Amp fuse should be enought (10 would be too much)

I would go with something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/In-Line-Car-...-/251603030689

Last edited by orsum; 18 July 2019, 12:00. Reason: found additional info

Comment

Thanks UrS4boy

Annoitated RS2 ignition switch wiring

Originally posted by ujimaflip View Post
          Which of these is the 'small red wire'. Any help gratefully received. Dan

I previously researched and annotated this RS2 ignition switch diagram for someone here on the S2Forum. One of the responses was the "86S" is what they use to provide power to their radios (I presumed they meant aftermarket). If you did that, you'd want to install a fuse between the 86S and the powered device because the igniton switch is not fused between the "30" constant power and the ignition switch.

The pin-out info references S2s and RS2s but the principle should be the same:

first "30" = thick red
          second "30" = thick red
          75 = black/yellow to load reduction relay (during starting)
          P = green/yellow
          86S = thin red
          50 = red/black to J59 X-contact Load Relief Relay (power flows through it to other devices AFTER the engine has started (or at least the switch has been turned to the run position) = could include some circuit fuses like S12.
          50b = thin blue
          15 = *SWITCHED* POWER thick black that will feed lots of fuses, like S12, etc.

Last edited by UrS4boy; 24th April 2015, 03:19.

Comment

Hi
            i haven't rear oem 5" speakers, but yes the tweeters

I'll try with the Kartcher!!!

Ps. All my UrS4 owner friends had leaved out the front tweeter grids hahahaha
            photobucket SUCKS
            sigpic

Comment

keep the grids

It would be interesting to try another cover to see how much it would improved the sound.

Comment

Naaaa... The Kartcher cleaned the grids and now can see the sky, but can't leave the cover...

Otherwise, I will keep the ugly metallic grids
                photobucket SUCKS
                sigpic

Comment

Cold day in Zinkwazi South Africa and its soldering time. I just finished the power connection and installed a 5 amp fuse in the ignition supply to the radio.

Cup of coffee and its back to the iso speaker connections. I will double check the polarity of the front speakers before I start the soldering. With what I have found anything is possible with the existing front speaker wiring.

With a bit of luck I may have the system working today.

Comment

It was a good job I checked the polarity of the front speaker wiring, one was reversed.

Easy job to fix removed the wires form the connector and put them back the right way.

Microphone installed. Pic to follow.

All connections done waiting for the head unit to go in.

But before that I need to sort the rear head unit mounting and resolve the position for the USB and Aux input.

Presently thinking of the cubby below the steering wheel. Make one little hole and they will be done, trouble is I don't like making holes in my car I have an OCD issue. The other alternative is the glove box. No hole to make.

Comment

Glove box
                      photobucket SUCKS
                      sigpic

Comment

Aux cable and USB going in the glove box..

Mic position for phone is ok for now.

I had the Blower selector and air ducting replace by Audi about 4 or 5 years ago. While finishing the radio I saw the centre ducting was not aligned. It was off by 10 mm across the full width.

Ended up stripping the center of the dash down and repositioning the duct. Never trust a bush mechanic.

Tomorrow I will loose fit the rear speakers and connect them. If all goes well the head unit will also go in.
                        Attached Files

Comment

The head unit is in and sort of working.

I tried tuning the radio (FM) just lots of hissing. The cable from the head unit to the aerial has continuity. So the cable is ok.

The 12volt supply to the aerial is also ok. BTW I found the white wire at the aerial its inside the head lining connected to the black wire going into the aerial.

I am thinking the base is the problem.

Should the coax centre wire on the antenna have continuity to the aerial. Mine is showing open circuit.

Anybody have a circuit diagram for the base amplifier.
                          Last edited by orsum; 22 July 2019, 18:16.

Comment

Anybody tried this aerial 2D0035505?

VW LT 1997>>2006 roof aerial

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts...ne-5f32db.html

Comment

These fit the coupe perfectly: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Genui...72.m2749.l2649

Have one on mine, but never listen to the radio, I was just fed up of having a stumpy twig left over!

Comment

The aerial I have located is from a Merc sprinter part number A 001 820 8975 on the pictures it looks the same. I am going to order an original from Merc.

Check the link item 5

https://www.catcar.info/mercedes/?la...Z2U3MD09LTE%3D

Comment

Working...
                                X