No announcement yet.

S6 Suspension overhaul.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its only adding 2 more pages for you, i presume like the link,for you all of 1 minute. Ive now lost 2 hrs looking for it!

Anyone able to give me the the torque settings for rear strut assembly to upper body 3 bolt attachment? Someones got this at their finger tips. I need this urgently,have just consulted the Bentley manual but could only find top and bottom torques for the shock nuts and bolts.Cheers.
    96 URS6 plus speck saloon
    96 URS6 plus speck estate
    94 2.6 80 Avant
    99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Originally posted by Vorsprung durch Technik View Post
      Its only adding 2 more pages for you, i presume like the link,for you all of 1 minute. Ive now lost 2 hrs looking for it!
      Mark: I typically only document things that I have done. In this case, I personally have not done anything on my rear suspension. However, soon, I will be replacing both rear springs and upper control arms on the 94 S4 V8 avant so there will be info that I will document. Nothing takes a minute. It will come but not soon enough for you. Sorry.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Fair dooes Dave, looks like i'm going to beat you to it then,mind i'm just rebuilding the rear struts for now ready for a run up to Yorkshire soon.
        94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Here we go.

Just to be clear from the start,i striped the original unmolested low mileage all original C4 2.8 Q front struts without any problems a little while ago. Can't say that about the S6 today!

I started on the drivers side and the shock piston to top bolt wouldn't budge.Bear in mind it should only be done up to 44b torque. Yep fine sounds easy enough,not mine. Using a 7mm allen from my spline bit set the pressure needed rounded of the allen in the piston.So time to think, .. .. .. ..yep lets put a 45 torx bit in there with some nice hammer action. I must have used over a 100lb of effort before she came undone. Fine,so time to carry on and remove the top mount no problem there.Shock and strut now exposed.

The huge 33mm hex nut now needed attacking.I tried a decent long 1/2" T bar but no chance to shift 177b of torque so out came the 5ft long scaffold bar. Whilst i held the Audi 2069A tool in there and the mrs on the end of the bar pushing and me holding it together and pushing we managed to uncrack it easily. I thought excellent until i had a rude shock! Pardon the pun. I was thinking shocks can be hard to pull out,well this one flew out no problem but instead of seeing the Konis out came an Boge Audi unit! Where the hell had the Konis gone??!

Being rather pi**ed off i decide to get on with the other side.Same thing top nut to shock piston way way too tight and was rounded off again. Mr 45 Torx came out again hammered in carefully all the while thinking I've got this sussed same as the other side no problem. The amount of force was so much i ended up with this.This time i was seriously pi**ed off! I'm now scratching my head.

So, .. .. .. who removed the Konis and used such force tightening the shock - piston nut with a impact gun with no regard for the torque settings? I'm also wondering how old this shock is,looking at the green picking slip it looks old school to me,does it to you guys? What do you suggest to get the broken bit out and what next to try and get it undone?
          Last edited by Vorsprung durch Technik; 12 May 2016, 21:03.
          94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

If impact gun was used to do it up, use it to undo it
            '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
            '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
            '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Originally posted by hunker7 View Post
              If impact gun was used to do it up, use it to undo it
              Agree. Not many options now. When I worked on my front struts, I used an impact gun to loosen the top nut. For installation I did this:

Torque was set to "gutenuntteight"

Comment

Do you guys think the shocks are newish,they certainly look it, and the top mounts are they the originals being that they have the yellow paint on them??!
                94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

They look quite rusty, so I'd say yes. I've bought febi couple of times and they're black with no paint marks.

Being gas shocks, can you push them down with hand or putting weight on them?
                  '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

4A0413031K = gas-filled shock absorber for (AAN) vehicles equipped with sports-type suspension "marked with violet", i.e. for the 1BE sport suspension.

http://audi.7zap.com/en/usa/audi+a6+...407-407010/#43

Comment

I would impact the nut off, but if that was an option I presume you would have already done that.

You can burn the plastic out the nylock, might help break any corrosion as well.

You could weld a nut on the broken alley key and pull it out.

You can clamp the shock shaft with mole grips, or file flats on the shock shaft.

Impacts are great for getting shock nuts off without counterholding, but people often run them back down hard with an impact.
                      Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                      Sold ABY-stock

Comment

They look quite rusty, so I'd say yes. I've bought febi couple of times and they're black with no paint marks.

Being gas shocks, can you push them down with hand or putting weight on them?
                        I'm sure they are original Janis as the 2.8Q ones i removed of the low miler are yellow marked as per factory.It's just surprising big firms who have worked on this car in the past like Dialynx Performance Ltd didn't replace them when the Konis were fitted.I have a bill here for £2,300 worth of work,lots of work including diff seal back in 2003.

You can push the shocks down with 2 hands and plenty of weight behind it.
                        94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

I'm sure they are original Janis as the 2.8Q ones i removed of the low miler are yellow marked as per factory.It's just surprising big firms who have worked on this car in the past like Dialynx Performance Ltd didn't replace them when the Konis were fitted.I have a bill here for £2,300 worth of work,lots of work including diff seal back in 2003.

You can push the shocks down with 2 hands and plenty of weight behind it.
                          If it's not broken, don't fix it

I good gas shocks are very hard to push down with weight even, so I'd say they're not shot (mine just fall down once top mount is removed) but they're not new new. Sure they still have life in them
                          '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Cheers Andy,what do you think about the shocks they look new don't they? What's you opinion?
                            94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

I good gas shocks are very hard to push down with weight even
                              That's exactly what i have Janis ,difficult to push down and they look so new! i wonder who fitted them and when?
                              94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

That's exactly what i have Janis ,difficult to push down and they look so new! i wonder who fitted them and when?
                                And when you manage to push them down, they pop back out right? Sounds like you have pretty good shocks Nothing about it in service history?
                                '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Working...
                                X