Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2 Avant into saloon

I cant get this out of my head!
    If the correct quattro saloon was bought to use, what else would need to be bought/fabricated to create an S2 saloon?

The only things I can think of that are not a direct swap are engine mounts (gearbox?)
    Can the avant suspension be used?
    Rear seats?
    Rear bumper?
    Can the original saloon loom be kept for the interior/headlights and rear lights etc? Ie only the engine related loom would need swapping over?

Basically, what would be needed to buy to do it all?
    Obviously bushes and other bits and bobs would/could be replaced to freshen it up at the same time, and parts such as thermostat and various things on the engine that are a lot easier to replace while the engine is out.

Its a project I would love to do!

You would need coupe suspension...

So an Audi 80 donor shell and a S2 coupe donor for bits...
    Audi Nut!!!

Comment

So front and rear have to come from a coupe?

I always thought the suspension was the same on saloon and avant?
      Im on about a model like this:

Not this:

Comment

WTF Tonks ?????

S2 Avant and S2 Sedan are same B4 platform - the B4 sedan absolutely does not use Coupe suspension (but a B3 Sedan does).

Its a 'simple' task of removing S2 Avant running gear and transplanting into B4 quattro saloon shell. Different spring & damper rates I suspect but thats all. Brakes, driveshafts, diff etc all the same.
        Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Thats what I thought! Was rather confused at that lol
          So really, its a case of unbolting everything off the avant and swapping it over? (Apart from engine mounts)

Comment

Originally posted by Tonks4x4 View Post
            You would need coupe suspension...

So an Audi 80 donor shell and a S2 coupe donor for bits...
            no, no, no Avant subframes and suspension all the way

Comment

Speak to Jas11n he investigated this and it is basically near enough bolt on

Comment

Engine mounts are your only grief as there wasnt a 5 cyl version of the B4 sedan sold in the UK... But this can be solved with suitable mounts from the front of a 5 cyl coupe or avant donor...

Is this the new plan dest ?
                Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I posted something about this up a few months ago, seems that it'sa matter of getting the engine mounts cut off and swapped (or new panels welded in) and then swap everything across. Nice idea if you can get hold of a decent B4 quattro base car. Starting with a B3 90q is saves on welding but the B3 is the same as the coupe (as above) and stuggles with large wheels and tyres due to the different arch profiles. Could always start with a typ85 90q

Edit:- here's the linky.
                  Cheers'en, AndyC
                  1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Basically, if the S2 saloon was sold in the uk, that is what I would of originally bought.
                    As it is a relatively easy thing to create, then it is something I would LOVE to do.
                    Literally the only thing stopping me is having somewhere to do it, but I do now have access to a single (but big) garage which also has storage for parts during the swap.

Hmmmm!! It is VERY tempting.
                    Budget is obviously a big part of things, as would have to buy the saloon, but then if the engine is good it could be sold, along with interior, bumpers etc etc to help with further funding. Then just need the bumpers sprayed to match the car.

Now to find a really cheap quattro saloon with dead engine, preferably in white

Comment

Getting the engine mounts swapped from my avant would not be an issue atall.
                      My regular tuner would be able to do it no problem, and has a plasma torch too

Comment

Hate to say it - but the B4 rear suspenders are superior to B3... feels more planted somehow - even my tired old saloon shows that (over my tired old coupe)...

The rear of B4 made its way into B5 and stayed essentially the same thru to B7 including the RS4 - so that says a lot.

I wonder when someone will put the dual wishbone front suspenders from a B5/6/7 into a B3 or B4 - that could be fun
                        Paul Nugent

Comment

@dest - have you changed your medication recently...

Sell the lovely Avant as is... Use that money to get a rough looking (mechanically sound) Avant donor and a tidy looking (mechanically rough) B4 Sedan - THAT is the best path to enlightenment.
                          Paul Nugent

Comment

Alpinweiss =
                            Cheers'en, AndyC
                            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post

I wonder when someone will put the dual wishbone front suspenders from a B5/6/7 into a B3 or B4 - that could be fun
                              Scary, I have been thinking about whether this could be done for sometime now!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X