Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little something else to keep me busy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake fluid goes green, eventually. Takes a long time!! Ten years +
    Rob..
    94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
    87 UR 20v ABY
    97 S6 Avant
    96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
    1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

• Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
      £88 for a complete new shaft with joints is a bargain, that'll be that problem solved quickly and cleanly, no mucking about swapping greasy old joints!

It's great that one can still easily get quality good quality replacement parts for these cars, unlike S2's!

Anyway, your very nearly there with it by the looks of things, if you want to pop over for a cuppa on your first proper test drive, let me know and I'll fire up the kettle.
      Yes, I was surprised. That's direct from SKF as well. Wish I'd gone that route in the beginning now. Just hope they are not sending from Belgium this time
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Originally posted by GT500 View Post
        Brake fluid goes green, eventually. Takes a long time!! Ten years +
        Interesting. Looks quite clean mind.
        Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• I recently had to drain the brake fluid on this Triumph motorbike I'm working on, same story, it was a sort of greenish brown colour and also seemed to be thicker than normal, at first I was convinced someone had put either Dot5 silicone or PAS fluid in it but by the time I'd drained it all out and done the finger tip squeak test I realised it was just old brake fluid.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

Comment

• Brushed aluminium?

Maybe not. A few coats of etch primer and into the house to harden off. It's a bit cold outside to paint and just about warm enough in the poly tunnel. We will see how it turns out.

And I found just a little rust starting underneath.

This car is otherwise remarkably rust free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Your're lucky, the panel on my avant had been touching the edge of the tailgate and the paint was bubbling and rusting around the edges where it touched so I had to repaint the whole tailgate. Looking at the door handles it appears the small tabs at bottom edge are missing, how are you proposing to refit them and keep them in place once you're finished the paint ? I had to stick one of mine on !

Comment

• Originally posted by quattrodave View Post
                Your're lucky, the panel on my avant had been touching the edge of the tailgate and the paint was bubbling and rusting around the edges where it touched so I had to repaint the whole tailgate. Looking at the door handles it appears the small tabs at bottom edge are missing, how are you proposing to refit them and keep them in place once you're finished the paint ? I had to stick one of mine on !
                Yes, glue job me thinks.
                Nothelle S2 Avant
                Black Ur project
                Ocianic Ur project gone
                S2 Coupe project gone
                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Whilst waiting for the driveshaft (it's coming from Belgium again), I thought I would make myself busy and make a start on the rear end.
                  Shocks and springs look fairly new.

And nearside has a new hub bolt. Looks like a new wheel bearing has been fitted recently.
                  It was mighty tight mind.

But the inner cv joint has welded itself to the flange as so far has refused to budge. I've soaked it in good penetrating oil.
                  Onto the other side. The hub bolt is very rusty. I thought we were there when it started to move.

But unfortunately it was just rounding out.

These Quattros!

Nothelle S2 Avant
                  Black Ur project
                  Ocianic Ur project gone
                  S2 Coupe project gone
                  Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• I forgot to say, the reason the shafts are coming off is that there is rather a large leak from the diff. Rubber boots are all perished as well.

Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• How are you dealing with the rounded bolt? Never had to deal with a rounded bolt that tight before. Think they they are on 110NM and 1/2 a turn.

Comment

• Normally I would weld something into the recess but that will probably kill the wheel bearing and this car is immobile in the barn. My welder needs a special socket which is on the wall in the garage. I may see what I can hammer in after a little heat from the blowtorch. If that fails I will have to drill the centre out which will take ages as it's very hard metal.
                        Nothelle S2 Avant
                        Black Ur project
                        Ocianic Ur project gone
                        S2 Coupe project gone
                        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• I had a think on this overnight and decided that welding will be the only realistic way of removing this. Hence I decided to clean everything up and put it back together until I can get it on the lift.
                          I flushed the rear brakes and this is what came out. Yuk.

Pads and discs are quite new and trw.

The calipers need an overhaul or replacing but I can put that on the to do list.

Nothelle S2 Avant
                          Black Ur project
                          Ocianic Ur project gone
                          S2 Coupe project gone
                          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• I also discovered a major bodge.
                            I presume the hub carrier was damaged in the press whilst the wheel bearing was being removed or fitted. Someone has used epoxy to cover it up. Shocking!

Thanks to a very kind forum member, I happen to have a good spare.

Nothelle S2 Avant
                            Black Ur project
                            Ocianic Ur project gone
                            S2 Coupe project gone
                            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Another great thread Dave, enjoying watching this, great handling cars the B5's with their troublesome but fantastically expensive front suspension. Lol. Our 2000 B5 tdi was completely rust free apart from the same problem you've had with that wide aluminium strip on the boot lid. Thats a shocking bodge you've highlighted there, good to hear you have another sorted out.
                              96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                              96 URS6 plus speck estate
                              94 2.6 80 Avant
                              99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

• Not much happening. My driveshaft hasn't left Belgium yet.
                                I did put the rear lock trim and door handles back on.
                                Some white grease on the moving parts.

And re fitted.

Anyone got a spare rear door trim?

She is keeping good company next to the Nothelle.

Nothelle S2 Avant
                                Black Ur project
                                Ocianic Ur project gone
                                S2 Coupe project gone
                                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Working...
                                X