Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little something else to keep me busy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few days ago I was changing the sealing ring on my Aan. The original case is much more robust than that. I slipped the ring into the old case. I think it is important that the ring is not in the same position as before, because the old ring made a channel on the crankshaft. 1 mm before or after.

Poslano sa mog SM-A135F koristeći Tapatalk

1-2-4-5-3

Comment

Originally posted by igor136 View Post
      A few days ago I was changing the sealing ring on my Aan. The original case is much more robust than that. I slipped the ring into the old case. I think it is important that the ring is not in the same position as before, because the old ring made a channel on the crankshaft. 1 mm before or after.

I was going to mention this, whenever I fit one of separate seals I'd always position it to run on a fresh bit of crank, however with these new one piece units that's not really an option.
      1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
      1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
      1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
      1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

The nice new seal turned up.
        I gave the sump a good clean up again and everything fitted nicely.
        Just a few little jobs to do then I can pop the engine back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Attached Files
        Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Wow, that one clean sump, good job!

I hate having to do a job twice but at least your pretty much ready to fit the motor... Are you going to treat it to a new clutch? Now would be the time if the existing one is at all worn or still on the old original. It's a few extra quid but you won't have to worry about doing it for a very long time.

Comment

Thanks Kit.
            I'm very lucky as this engine has a recently fitted new clutch and solid flywheel. There is no wear on it at all. I've done all the other bits though like gearbox oil seal and clutch bearing.
            Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Wonder what it drives like with the solid flywheel, have to say I've not heard great things about them.

Comment

We've fitted a couple, their not too bad but the certainly won't be as smooth as with the duel mass, you have to adapt to it a little as the gear changes feel slightly different. But as Dave hasn't driven the car with a duel mass he probably won't notice so much of a difference.

The one's I've quickly test driven have felt okay, that said I've not gone far, only about two miles, just enough to make sure everything works.

Still it's a bit of a result having a new clutch fitted and not having to worry about replacing a duel mass, they don't seem to last anything like as well as the ones fitted to S2's which pretty much go on forever.

Comment

So this gives me a small dilemma.
                  Re fit a nearly new unknown make smfw and clutch plate or fit the 20k miles but good condition Sachs dmfw and clutch plate with little wear
                  Nothelle S2 Avant
                  Black Ur project
                  Ocianic Ur project gone
                  S2 Coupe project gone
                  Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

The dual mass will be quieter, on a 6 speed the solid flywheel will bring the sound of the straight cut gears into the cabin. Only audible at low revs but non the less disturbing.

The SM will be good for someone going for more horsepower or doing track days.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
                      So this gives me a small dilemma.
                      Re fit a nearly new unknown make smfw and clutch plate or fit the 20k miles but good condition Sachs dmfw and clutch plate with little wear
                      I did a bit of digging recently as my wife's VAG car will need a clutch/flywheel at some point. Apparently fitting a solid flywheel "can" cause bearing problems on this particular gearbox ?
                      Just saying, if it were me I'd go with the Sachs you have. I think the expense of these parts is the main reason folks change it for a solid one when the time comes?

Comment

• Thanks guys. Well I didn't need much persuasion to stay OE. It all cleaned up
                        nicely and now it's on.

Nothelle S2 Avant
                        Black Ur project
                        Ocianic Ur project gone
                        S2 Coupe project gone
                        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• A few days ago I was doing an overhaul on my S6. I left the two-mass flywheel. Bought a new Sachs clutch set and that's it. And I changed the bearing in the flywheel. The car has 400 tkm. Maybe I was wrong but... I did not change the flywheel bolts, but they needed Locktite because it seals the oil.

1-2-4-5-3

Comment

• I put thread lock on mine so hopefully that's sufficient.

I didn't get much done today but I did start to deep clean the turbo oil feed pipe. It's getting soaked in oven cleaner then flushed with heating oil which I've found is a really good carbon deposit solvent.

I would buy a new feed pipe but they are rather pricey.

Nothelle S2 Avant
                            Black Ur project
                            Ocianic Ur project gone
                            S2 Coupe project gone
                            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• So, after soaking overnight in the oven cleaner, it got flushed through with heating oil in the parts washer. Rinsed with wd40 then finally flushed with clean oil.

I wasn't happy with this aftermarket em. And a stud had snapped off at some point.

So swapped it for the Audi one.
                              Sheared off stud getting removed.

And turbo fitted.

Nothelle S2 Avant
                              Black Ur project
                              Ocianic Ur project gone
                              S2 Coupe project gone
                              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Double nutting to the rescue.

Comment