Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IIRC, the instrument cluster is linked to the imobiliser on the B5

Comment

Dest, do you know if its possible to turn off the immob?

BTW I've tried both keys.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

I wouldnt have a clue mate, I doubt its public knowledge if you can at all.

Is it worth trying to disconnect/reconnect the ECU?

Comment

The car does not start due to immo.
          Immo is inside the cluster on these cars, not a separate box.

You have no connection between dash and ECU.
          Are you saying you can't even connect to the dash "Instruments" in VAG-COM?

It is possible to kill the immo with ECU surgery, but the car won't work right until the cluster and the ECU start talking via can bus.
          You will get a cut at 5500 rpm.
          http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

So we took the dash out and while I was having a look inside it, my buddy went out and pulled and checked all the fuses. Put the dash back in and it lit up as per normal and the car fired up. One thing, behind the fuse board there's a TomTom power supply wired in and a load of spare cable jammed in there, may have been causing a bad contact. That's coming out tomorrow.
            Also, underneath the Y pipe, found some signs of a small four legged visitor so that area will be getting a good look at and a clean in daylight.
            It occurred to me while all this was going on that since I last drove the car we've had all that torrential rain and wind so I'm going to be looking under the battery to make sure the drain is working properly!
            Last edited by newsh; 7 January 2012, 21:44.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by prj View Post

You have no connection between dash and ECU.
              Are you saying you can't even connect to the dash "Instruments" in VAG-COM?
              Could not access "Instruments" in Vagcon, no.
              Also, I'm not sure if this was like this to start with or after the dash was diconnected the first time but none of the gauges were moving, there was no odometer and no dash lights.

Second time I plugged the dash back in, after removing the back to have a look inside, everything lit up as normal including the autocheck to show that the driver's door was open. We could then connect to "Instruments" and in the Brake group the ABS was seen to be talking to the cluster

It seems more and more to me as though the dash had lost power. I didn't notice immediately because it was daylight and the warning lamps, battery, airbag etc, all lit up. Of course these are probably powered from outside the cluster..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Yea, the cluster just did not have power.
                I assumed you checked all the fuses and contacts, else you would not be posting here

But yeah, glad it's fixed.
                http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

Yeah, I'm glad it's fixed too

It's still weird though. No fuses were blown, I checked the relevant ones (according to the fuse box cover) the first time. Then just as a double check we took all the fuses out and looked at them. Along with taking the back off the cluster and looking inside thats all we did. Shouldn't have done 2 things at once!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

sounds like your coupe maybe getting jealous and sending gremlins to the RS...
                    :mischeif:

nice motor by the way....I, as others have mentioned, have been hanging my nose over these...such good deals at the minute..almost too good to be true...

enjoy!!

Comment

yes you could be right!

Suspension changed back to stock today, just need to drop it back on its wheels and finish off tomorrow, then I can drive it. Got a journey to Yorkshire to do this week.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Glad its up and running again. The standard set up is very good and the ride is very comfortable.

The only change i would recommend is uprated H&R anti roll bars, doesn't change the ride quality but transforms the cornering. Makes it feel like the chassis is working rather than the tyres...

Though you must fit strengthening brackets to the rear else the sub frame cracks..

Great cars though...

Darren.

Comment

Cheers Darren I need to have a measure up to see if the ARBs are stock or not, I think they are.

One of the H&R front springs seats was rotting away and about to break so I'm really glad I did this job. The stock setup I've put on is low miles and in great condition, I gave the shocks a couple of coats of red lead and 2 of black and a layer of waxoil so should be good for a while

Here's a comparison of the H&R vs the stock front.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

I personally think the standard ride height is spot on, they are close enough to the ground underneath to start off with....

Oh, the original quattro GMBH shock absorbers are red, lol, you should of left them in red lead....

Have you got a registered Vag-Com lead? or is it an ebay job?

Virdie on SRS is a good lad for spares, he owns my original noggy one.. whilst i think the Avus one was a better car i do miss the noggy one...

If you get stuck with anything on it give me a shout, i got fairly familiar with most things on them...

Darren.

Comment

Yeah, the red lead looked naff though and I had a can of black gloss, I nearly went out and bought a can of red to go over the black...

I've driven my mate's car with standard suspension and really like it, it works well on the terrible roads round here, has nop trouble with speed bumps and cruises nicely on the motorway. You can see that the H&R progressive spring becomes coilbound very quickly so when you hit a big bump the spring overcomes the damper and you bounce, its a bit scary. They felt great on the smooth stuff but thats not reality every day.. I don't really go for the lowered look anyway

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Sitting on stock shocks

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic