2.8 V6 Cabby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.8 V6 Cabby

For some reason the Audi 80 just calls to me, I don't know why, but after getting rid of the B3 80 and the B4 TDI, I moved to a B6 S4 as a daily and aside from wheels and a Miltek (which I haven't got round to yet) I don't plan on modifying it, its too good a car as standard. Sure, It could be quicker, but hey, about time I did some growing up...

I was originally saving as quickly as I can to by an Audinut's gorgeous Red S2 estate, but he sold it before I had the required spondoolies, so I looked for a long term project car that I could tinker with.

I picked this up in November

Its a 2.8 V6 Automatic, full service history, 88K on the clock, smooth gearbox, Bodywork is immaculate, ellipsoids, wind deflectors, 16" Boleros, full black leather with no bolster wear, rips or tears, stainless exhaust, full working electric hood with no holes, burns or rips, all side skirts are attached and no door peel, engine is completely dry, no suspension knocks or bangs, although the steering is very, very light.

Recent work its had done (within 1500 miles) is cam belt, water pump and alternator.

When I drove the car back it felt fine, but I spotted a few things that I need to do straight away:
    • investigate temperature gauge not working (fluid was low in expansion tank, but appeared to be rolling through the engine, so suspected thermostat)
    • Oil temp gauge is on cold permanently, and pressure is over the norm (I am really hoping that these and the water issue don't mean a head gasket, because after an 80 mile drive back, there was still no mayonnaise or anything and hopefully that would have been picked up when the water pump was done)
    • re-seal the rear lights as water was stored in the boot lid when I lifted it up (common problem)
    • swap the stereo for the bluetooth alpine one I have and all the speakers over to alpines and sub that I have
    • needs a new rear tyre
    • Remove dodgy RS badge and take off the 2.8 as well... still undecided on the boot spoiler though...

Last edited by 1781cc; 10 December 2015, 09:45.

As it stood:

Complete with hideous badges...

Debadged...

Old wipers did literally nothing so replaced them with some quality Bosch Aero's...

Decided to tackle the stereo system as it was a mess, and although it works, the sound is pretty crap...

What annoyed me is that the Audi system has its own amps and crossovers built into the speaker housings, so you have to hack it about to fit, in the end, I decided to junk it all and custom wire it...

2x20W Nokia subwoofer... why?

The Wood panel over the sub hole is to have an 8" sub and amp fitted to it, on Vibe fast plugs, so that when I carry something in the boot I can still get bass, but when something isn't in the boot, the main sub is in effect (12") and the 8" will be bypassed... The sub is on order... hence the cabling is a little messy because it will become a round hole soon enough.

While the whole interior was out I gave the car a brutal clean, carpets, leather treatment, vinyls, seals, air vents, the lot... supervised of course...

Alpine BT-113 head unit in place, bluetooth, parrot, mp3, iPod... etc...

Forgot to take pics, but fitted 10cm alpines in the dash...

All bolted back in place, leather treated and cleaned...

Next stop... fit these babies... Very Rare Brock B1's...

If you wondered how deep? this deep...

Fronts are 17x8.5" ET13 fitted with 215/45/17 tyres
    Rears are 17x10" ET20 fitted with 235/45/17 tyres

Comment

Sold the Boleros....

Gave the car a bloody good clean and then shoved the Brock's on... I think it will take some getting used to, its the widest stance I have ever had on a car, but I quite like it.

I have my eyes on a KW coil over setup when funds allow As there is a subtle rub at the moment on big bumps.

I also need to source some centre caps as the wheels came with none! :-(

Anyway...

Comment

So, a package from California arrived with centre caps for the brocks... makes a huge difference visually!

Also fitted Vredesden Quatrac 3 All season tyres on it - made a night and day difference to the car's handling and also, due to the rim protector setup on them, tightened up the visual appearance of the tread to arch angle. Seems the old tyres had slow punctures and the setup made the tyres shift outside the arches.

Rears:

Fronts (front wheels aren't pointing straight, didn't realise till after the pic):

Comment

Final things that have been done since purchase are:

- New Heater Matrix
          - Found that the dash is fubar with cracked circuitry (Acidburn is posting one, I bought one last week off here but it was different on the back despite part numbers being the same!)
          - Gear selector kept jamming, adjusted that, 100% OK now
          - New top mounts (old ones fell apart as soon as they were out)

For the moment my wife is using it as a daily, but its getting there...

I have been using a product to clean up the rear screen called "Hindsight" it's helped a little but not enough - any suggestions on how to restore the screen without replacing? or a good place that will replace it at a sensible cost - tidily...
          Last edited by 1781cc; 30 January 2014, 14:55.

Comment

Love the pictures and the cats keeping an eye on you.Very trusting of you...We have 2 cats and one likes to jump up on the bonnet.Trouble is its so slipery she scrabbles for grip with her claws and YES i need to get the mop out.

The Bolero's might be heavy but look better IMHO.

Are you using the Hindsight 1 and 2 as thats how mine came? I found its ok but does take a long time to do a reasonable job.My screan wasn't that bad anyway.

Try this product its quite good ( Renovo Window Polish ) it says the "Definative plastic window polish" I got mine on ebay.

96 URS6 plus speck saloon
            96 URS6 plus speck estate
            94 2.6 80 Avant
            99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Originally posted by voursch sprung dirch View Post
              The Bolero's might be heavy but look better IMHO.
              I know the Brocks aren't to everyones taste, but I always wanted to go Euro look on a car, and this is it, it will look better when its slammed - trust me on this one!

Good tip about the Revono, will check it out, as soon as its dry I am going to try the PEEK product, then another application of Hindsight 1-2 and see what happens

The rear window was really, really bad when I got it, and condensation from the heater matrix didn't help, but part of the problem has been solved, I just need a dry day to really get my teeth into it.

Anyone have any leads on the MAF to induction cone adapter? I can never find one so it might be a case of some fab work

You gonna put a thread up on yours?

Comment

K+n do one for the mk2 goof that works . Thinks it's for the 57i kit. I'm also looking to make an adaptor for mine
                S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

Did you get a 2.8 one then? bung a thread up! (i've asked for this section so hoping it fills out he he)

What MAF is the same on the golf then mate? if I can't find one, maybe when I speak to my mate I can get a few fab'd

Comment

ive had 2.8 final edition parked on the drive for a few years now and not really done anything with it other refurb the front suspension and fit a set of Kw v1's. Just bought a replacement hood and plan to do some fettling over the next few mths ready for the summer

The golfs don't share the same maf but the adaptor fitment is the same ( ie a short bit of tubing with a flat base to mount to the maf)

Gav
                    S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

Originally posted by gavs20v View Post
                      ive had 2.8 final edition parked on the drive for a few years now and not really done anything with it other refurb the front suspension and fit a set of Kw v1's. Just bought a replacement hood and plan to do some fettling over the next few mths ready for the summer

The golfs don't share the same maf but the adaptor fitment is the same ( ie a short bit of tubing with a flat base to mount to the maf)

Gav
                      Yeah, its the flat base MAF adaptor I need as I already have a K&N from a previous project with adaptors pipes.

How do you find the KW v1's? I've never had coilies, but i've been assured that is the way forward to lower where I want, improve firmness and solve the rubbing issue over bumps. What's your experience been like as they are pretty expensive (not far off the purchase price of the blooming car!)

Comment

So my wife has been using the car as a daily and managed to bash in the front indicator - hence prompting a from light overhaul with some new fogs and indicators.

Plus the opposite side had the horrible condensation problem...

I managed to get the indicators from Euro Car Parts and the fogs from Luzern on eBay, both arrived in record time.

As it happens, I stumbled onto the fact that Euro Car Parts had a couple of Cabriolet rear light clusters still going, they aren't listed on the site, but £200 later and this arrived in the post:

If anyone is interested in getting one, call ECP with this number:

Incidentally, if they are sold out, call TPS in Birmingham, Audi currently stock 2 in town and 1 in Coventry, those are apparently the only ones left at TPS in the country, but they want £240 for them

Finally, Acidburn came through for me and sent over a 2.8 V6 Auto instrument cluster (thanks Pete!). I had previously sourced one from a 2.0 16V and although the part numbers are the same, the whole back is different...

As soon as my fingers defrost I will be fitting the cluster and getting the car cleaned up, the rear lights are going to sit in the cosy warmth of the garage until winter is over, I don't want stone chips, grit or any other crap making a mess of it!

Comment

Amazing the difference fresh lights can make to the front end
                          Gav
                          S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

indeed mate...

Comment

Originally posted by lee_whitehead View Post
                              So my wife has been using the car as a daily and managed to bash in the front indicator - hence prompting a from light overhaul with some new fogs and indicators.

Plus the opposite side had the horrible condensation problem...

I managed to get the indicators from Euro Car Parts and the fogs from Luzern on eBay, both arrived in record time.

As it happens, I stumbled onto the fact that Euro Car Parts had a couple of Cabriolet rear light clusters still going, they aren't listed on the site, but £200 later and this arrived in the post:

If anyone is interested in getting one, call ECP with this number:

Incidentally, if they are sold out, call TPS in Birmingham, Audi currently stock 2 in town and 1 in Coventry, those are apparently the only ones left at TPS in the country, but they want £240 for them

Finally, Acidburn came through for me and sent over a 2.8 V6 Auto instrument cluster (thanks Pete!). I had previously sourced one from a 2.0 16V and although the part numbers are the same, the whole back is different...

As soon as my fingers defrost I will be fitting the cluster and getting the car cleaned up, the rear lights are going to sit in the cosy warmth of the garage until winter is over, I don't want stone chips, grit or any other crap making a mess of it!
                              Hi lee, apologies for not posting here but i never saw your progress on the forum so assumed nothing doing. Is that correct then you have to come to this part of the forum to even see whats written?? I thought it would be part of the forum and would just befiltered of when dropped of the bottom of the list like everything else.

Anyway.Glad you managed to get a beautiful new shinny rear reflector and a good price at £200 new.Nice one!! The car looks really great now the front indicators and fogs are done,like someone else put it really makes a huge difference to the way it looks and much better for it.Looking good mate
                              96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                              96 URS6 plus speck estate
                              94 2.6 80 Avant
                              99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Working...
                              X