2.8 V6 Cabby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorta crestfallen...

finally got the KW v1's fitted after being on my to do list for over a year, quite a difference in the stock setup compared to the v1s, have to say that I am impressed with the ride quality as its not as hard as I expected it to be, even with literally the whole car polybushed!

Elite Motor Tune in Northampton are always my garage of choice and fitted these with no issues, then ran a full 4 wheel alignment, although Ben says it will need some time to settle before adjusting slightly. He recommended having a look at the camber as well, I can concur this as full steering adjustments under load give the sensation of spinning on its axis slightly, which points to the tyres not sitting completely flush on the road.

Pics for pervs...

FRONT

REAR

OVERALL

Conclusion?

The tyres still rub over bumps, not as bad as before, but a little protest, I can see that my arches have already suffered some paint removal in the past on the fine inner lip, but I am determined to have my cake and eat it, I am not giving up, but it does leave a bitter taste in my mouth after spending over £1500 on parts and labour (which incidentally was more than the purchase of the car was over 2 years ago...)

So, suggestions please...

1) Adjustable rear tie bars to pull the camber in (are these even available?)
    2) Roll the arches?
    3) Sell the wheels and be less stubborn?

Comment

Option 3

Comment

What size tyres you running Lee? They look a bit chunky and this might be your problem perhaps?
        1992 Audi 100 2.8 Quattro
        1993 Audi Cab 2.3
        1995 Audi URS6 Avant
        1999 Audi S8 D2 FL
        2005 Skoda Octavia Elegance Variant TDi
        2012 VW CC BlueMotion Tech DSG

Comment

Height looks perfect now, just need some wheels that fit the car

I guess that's option 3..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

Comment

ffs, with option 3... lol

They are 235 40 17, I might try and run more stretch on a 225 with a drop to 35 on the rears, I have seen cars with these on, what gives?

I really hope my wife doesn't find my receipts or any of these threads... ha ha

Comment

Lee, no wonder, that size is hugh! I'm running 205/40/17 on my boleros. But I think 215 or 225 at the most for yours. The more stretch you can the better it will look and the top corner of tyre will taper in more and should give you the clearance you need.

My vote is keep the Brocks!

Originally posted by lee_whitehead View Post
              ffs, with option 3... lol

They are 235 40 17, I might try and run more stretch on a 225 with a drop to 35 on the rears, I have seen cars with these on, what gives?

I really hope my wife doesn't find my receipts or any of these threads... ha ha
              1992 Audi 100 2.8 Quattro
              1993 Audi Cab 2.3
              1995 Audi URS6 Avant
              1999 Audi S8 D2 FL
              2005 Skoda Octavia Elegance Variant TDi
              2012 VW CC BlueMotion Tech DSG

Comment

Peeps don't really like your wheels do they Lee
                Each to his own, in my opinion I think they look really smart
                I would go with option 2 first and see how it goes first
                For what this cost me so far I could have bought an S2

Comment

I like the wheels, id say option 2 if you think you could get away with it, or option 4, take your wheels to a wheel repair shop, see if they could be machined on the backside, ie you take off 2-3mm to increase the offset and tuck it under the wheel well a bit more (if there is clearance with the struts). Many wheels can be taken in if it is only afew mm, all depends on the type of wheel, and how much 'meat' is on the hub mating surface.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffiano View Post
                    I like the wheels, id say option 2 if you think you could get away with it, or option 4, take your wheels to a wheel repair shop, see if they could be machined on the backside, ie you take off 2-3mm to increase the offset and tuck it under the wheel well a bit more (if there is clearance with the struts). Many wheels can be taken in if it is only afew mm, all depends on the type of wheel, and how much 'meat' is on the hub mating surface.
                    ooo, thats a novel idea, I never thought of that, I will speak to Pristine in Milton Keynes who did the refurb on these, their work is solid and if anyone knows if that can be done it will be them.

Yaz, I know the tread width is wider than stock boleros, but I followed another car's thread on the wheels and I guess they must have had V3's with damping set to max to avoid the rub, but it just specced KW coilovers, V3s are way out of my budget.

If the machining option won't wash, I will see about arch rolling (any recommendations based on experience?) and failing that will change tyres.

If I can't get there based on all the above, I will sell the wheels, but as you can see, I really do not want to as I love them on the car.

Determined or stupid?

Comment

Machine the hub face on the discs rather than the wheels IMO . Camber shims to bring in the top of the wheel . Arch rolling to and the flat edge of the arch slightly . Careful tyre choice . Not just the size by the make and and design . Ie Pirelli p6000 have a nice rolled edge to the sidewall however conti's have a much angular shoulder

Keep the wheels and Persevere .

On a side note I'd cling film the threads on your kw's . It'll stop all the crap getting in there and potentially damaging them

Gav
                      S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

Or Denso tape the threads.
                        94-S2 Coupe ABY
                        00-B5 RS4

Comment

The twin pots are standard on the 2.8's (2.6 and below only got 1 pot), same as the S2... Makes doing a 5 stud conversion easier too because you can get brake disks for em!

Comment

Ok, so been exploring my options and rolling the rear arches is out because there is no meat on them to roll, also, I spoke to pristine and they really don't recommend machining down the alloys as they say that the metal there is designed to be structurally strong and shaving some off may debilitate the wheel.

Whilst I understand that answer and appreciate their view, I am going to take the wheel off and see exactly how much meat there is to start with.

I have also decided to take the car to national tyres or somewhere and get them to swap the tyre from the front (215/35/17) and put it on the back to see how there stretch and fit is, if it works then I will replace the rear tyres.

I am really beginning to think that I may have to give up on getting these to work, I've spent hours on the suspension so far, playing with settings and so on, but as soon as a full tank of fuel goes in, rub rub rub

Comment

Machine the hub face on the discs . I've done this numerous times over the years with out any issue

Are your rears 10j ? I've got a set of 9.5j Rh zw1's running 215/40 and a set of 9.5j 235/40 . I can get you pics if you want to see the stretch on them .

Rolling arches relates more to having the return lip on the inside folded over . You need yours pulled slightly

Gav
                              S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

Originally posted by gavs20v View Post
                                Machine the hub face on the discs . I've done this numerous times over the years with out any issue

Are your rears 10j ? I've got a set of 9.5j Rh zw1's running 215/40 and a set of 9.5j 235/40 . I can get you pics if you want to see the stretch on them .

Rolling arches relates more to having the return lip on the inside folded over . You need yours pulled slightly

Gav
                                Pics would be great mate, I have been looking online and seen a cool site with stretch examples, but none specifically with the kind of sizes I am after, would be good to see. My TT has stretches 235/35/19s on 9.5J BBS alloys and they look good, but the arches on that are completely different.

Seeing a CNC place tomorrow...

Comment

Working...
                                X