No announcement yet.

2.8 V6 Cabby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, I spent 7 hours down at Wootton Tyres & Exhausts today trying to solve this problem of rubbing, and I have to say they guys there were fantastic, letting me try on different tyres and configurations to suit. Its my first time dealing with them and as a new customer they were fantastic in helping me out with no previous purchasing relationship to count on. For sure, this is where I will go in future and I highly recommend them.

This is where we started:

Anyway, we took the rear 10J off to see if there was enough meat on the wheel to CNC it down, no go, there is literally ****** all on the back of the wheels...

Next was to measure the rear discs and see if anything could be shaved off the disc hub front to regain some ET but there was only 5mm of disc available, to further complicate things, the inner clearance to strut sits at 7mm, so shaving off anything will weaken the disc surface, but hypothetically, say we took 2mm off, it really wouldn't make that much difference...

Finally, after about 5 different configurations, we settled on the front tyres coming off the wheels and being mounted to the back, and new tyres fitted to the front, this is how wit shakes out:

Rears
    235/45/17 on 10J (Previously) - 215/45/17 on 10J (Now)

Fronts
    215/45/17 on 8.5J (Previously) - 205/40/17 on 8.5J (Now)

In hindsight it would seem obviously to go this route, but we had to try a variety of different profiles to experiment with tuck and stretch in order to make it all work on bumps, travel, etc... surprisingly, tyre brand also affected things as different manufacturers have widely different sidewalls, we settled on Michelin Pilot Sport 3's

She now rides perfectly, with enough tuck over big bumps to allow the suspension to move without any rubbing at all, the overall height of the car has dropped as well, and all combined, she drives better than ever with minimal tram-lining and isn't unsettled over bumps. I will still play a little with the coilers to drop her a little more, but it will be little by little till I can safely find the right Euro-Stance look

Finally, I am happy, so I gave her a good clean

Now I need to find other things to spend my money on as this thing has dragged on for as long as I have had the wheels! (probably off to a bodyshop to treat and spray those scuffed arches)
    Last edited by 1781cc; 22 June 2015, 15:44.

Comment

That's great news Lee, looks fantastic .

Perseverence wins !!

Pm sent
      S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

That looks so much better Lee, I told you changing the tyres would sort the problem
        1992 Audi 100 2.8 Quattro
        1993 Audi Cab 2.3
        1995 Audi URS6 Avant
        1999 Audi S8 D2 FL
        2005 Skoda Octavia Elegance Variant TDi
        2012 VW CC BlueMotion Tech DSG

Comment

Chasing perfection is an expensive, time consuming thing, but took a step closer yesterday with a solid afternoons fettling on the Cabby, in the sun with a few beers...

First issue was the rear lower bumper trim, its been horrible for ages and no amount of back to black or other products have solved the issue, not even a heat gun, so the only option was to spray her properly with Satin black paint and I should have done it sooner! I hate overspray, so I went all out on the masking, it took forever to mask up properly but the the results speak for themselves.

Next up was the rear light cluster, I managed to source a brand new unopened Hella rear light cluster a while back and stashed her in the garage as part of my to-do list, the old one was solid apart from some bowing in the reverse light squares which has started to crack slightly.

Genuine audi sealant...

Side badges were pretty poor condition, these have now been replaced :-)

Pressed number plate finishes off the rear end nicely!

New lower door trims from the factory, can't believe these are still available and haven't gone NLA yet - didn't get time to fit them, so thats on my next day off.

And parked at the train station this morning... looking tidy

Comment

Glad you sorted the rubbing issue. :roll eyes:

Agree re the rear lower bumper 'black', the new red panel, and the plain/new number plate.

Trims may be available because the Cabrio didn't stop manufacturing until about 2000.

Ideas for more money being spent - Black the chrome on the front grille, the A pillars and the trim round there rear of the 'roof'.

HIDs if you haven't fitted them already.

Notwithstanding above suggestions, already nice as it is.

Pity the photos are of better quality !

Comment

Originally posted by lee_whitehead View Post
              Side badges were pretty poor condition, these have now been replaced :-)

Do you have the part number for the Audi badge and the 'black plug' studs ?

Thanks either way.

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post
                Do you have the part number for the Audi badge and the 'black plug' studs ?

Thanks either way.

I can tell you tomorrow when I get back from Milan, but the parts for my car were stick on type no studs.

Re: suggestions

I like the chrome on the A pillar and the rear surround but want an RS2 grille, if I can't get one I will go down the route of de-chroming the grille (or at least buy another grille to de-chrome)

Tell me more about HIDs, I have ellipsoids and was just going to put in higher output bulbs

Comment

Lee If you want to get rid of the trim with the audi badge I've got a pair of late spec smooth trims without the recess for the audi badge . They are in kingfisher
                  S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

actually mate, I quite like the audi badges, its kinda like saying **** you to corporate audi and their lack of acknowledgement about where they came from, all the blinged up stuff they are doing now, when do you ever see the Audi wording?

But thanks for the offer mate

Comment

btw, I'll take that RS2 grille from the Red Cabrio pic if its going...

Comment

Lol
                        I bought another for my silver one . I believe the surrounds are still available however the rs2 specific rings and ring base are nla along with the clips and mesh . I've used rs4 mesh for my bonnet grille and front bumper
                        S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

Lee, I think I might have a Kamai grill in the garage somewhere..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                            Lee, I think I might have a Kamai grill in the garage somewhere..
                            Hell yeah, hit me up with a pm if you find it thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by gavs20v View Post
                              Lol
                              I bought another for my silver one . I believe the surrounds are still available however the rs2 specific rings and ring base are nla along with the clips and mesh . I've used rs4 mesh for my bonnet grille and front bumper
                              No one like a show off!

Have to meet up soon mate, compare notes, will drop you a message when back

Comment

Mate your car looks rally nice and I am glad you repaint the rear black faded lower bumper trim. Almost all of the Cabriolets Ive seen i nUK have the same issue.
                                In US spec bumper the plastic is different - very smooth and hard to fadr this way.

Wher did you find the little side "audi" logo emblems? And how did you replaced it? I think you should stick a flathead screwdriver between it and the plastic to pop it off?
                                99' BMW 528iT (the Bear) - sold
                                07'-09' Linkoln MkS 3.7 (the Limo)
                                94' Audi 90 CS 2.8 (Barak Obama) -Dissasembled donor
                                97' Cabriolet 2.8 (Kremena) - sold
                                97' Cabriolet 2.8 (Albena) - the One

Comment

Working...
                                X