Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 S2 Avant

Hi all,

So I have been after a project for some time now and an S2 avant came up for sale online within budget. I went to take a look and it was clear that it was going to need some work to get it back to the correct condition but it has had quite a lot spent on it already and it seems to have an interesting history so I decided to go ahead. I collected the car on Saturday and it's currently at my house waiting for some work.

The car is a '93 S2 avant in "Classic White". It appears to have been registered with VAG and used as a press car along with 2 others with sequential registrations. I have found an article from 2003 showing a photo of this car and I believe that this car was also featured in some magazines in '93 with reviews but I haven't located photos of those yet. Any help here would be appreciated!

Given that it's such an early car it has no roof rails, non-elipsoidal lights, orange indicators, no ABS button and would have had earlier 5-spoke wheels which have since been replaced.

I have attached some pics showing how it currently stands and the magazine article

There is plenty to do- the rear brakes keep sticking and yesterday caused the brakes to boil so I've ordered some rear caliper rebuild bits even though the main issue is rust from the caliper bodies getting stuck between pads etc I think.

If anyone can recommend a good garage for a cambelt and service in the Cambridge/Newmarket area I would really appreciate it.

I'll try and update this as I go, but please feel free to give advise/warnings/encouragement.

Cheers,
    Mark.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.

Thats a cool find and well done on finding out about the press bit so fast. I had my avant for a few months or so before i found out mine was what they thought was the first registered UK one but the register has since flagged it may have been the 3rd registered for the UK. (I always wanted it to be the first. I own K965EVV, an Emerald Green avant that is exactly the same as yours with the 3B alloys, no roof rails etc. I have to say, I prefer them without the roof rails but im still to find a roof rack to fit the car which has been a real problem as I was a competitive canoeist and go surfing alot so ive always had to either borrow a car with a roof rack or eventually gave in and purchased a van to use for roof duties lol.

Ive got the Fast Lane Magazine article of my car somewhere also. Good luck with the fixing of yours. Its well worth it as they give massive smiles and no one expects an old early 90's audi to be able to out do many modern cars if you drive it properly lol. Lets just say a few years ago Mr M3 was not a very happy guy when an old estate with a dog in the boot out did him

Comment

Uh oh - bad news on the roof bars - I was hoping I could get a fitting kit to use bars without the rails

Currently I'm not sure the car is giving full boost, it's quick but I don't think it's quick enough and the power delivery seems too smooth with no surge as the turbo spools.

The other main issue I have is the gear change feel - it's pretty awful. 1st/R/3rd is a complete lottery and the changes require quite a lot of force. I suspect the linkage needs some attention - does anyone have ay suggestions?

Comment

Nice buy, reasonably priced if I remember ?

Hopefully your calliper re-build will sort the brakes

Comment

I'm happy with the price, it's going to need a fair whack spending though. But don't they all?

Comment

So I found some time to work on the S2 this weekend!

The first job was to fit my wheels, I had planned to use my 3 piece Fuchs wheels but they just didn't suit the car so I've now got some Porsche twists. While I've got the car I will source and refurb some early 5 spokes to put it back to original.

I am going to have to work out a way to bypass the alarm as the battery was drained completely flat after around a week. It was so flat my charger wouldn't recognise a valid battery was connected!

Next up was to fit a boost gauge and see what level we had - the result just under 0.5bar on the gauge. Not ideal.

I knew there were several perished hoses so I started taking everything out to replace with the do88 intercooler and vacuum hose set that arrived yesterday. Nothing was looking concrete until I got the diverter valve out. See the photos below but I don't think it should have a hole in it
            Attached Files

Comment

And the N75 valve is also broken. No switching with 12V connected.
              Can anyone suggest the best place to get a new recirc and N75 valve?

Comment

Pete at QuattroCorner will have these sort of parts in stock and on the shelf normally...

http://www.quattrocorner.com/

I am looking forward to seeing more of this project as it unfolds...

Cheers,

Steve
                The Perfectionist
                sigpic
                Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

I’ve seen loads of these DVs with a hole like that, it’s where it rubs on the back of the headlight air ducting.
                  The uprated diverter valve is known as a 710P, you can find them on eBay, I haven’t seen a real Bosch one for a while but I’m sure they’re out there, last one I bought was about £40. The 25 quid ones seem to work ok, at least on a car with stock turbo.

The N75 is also fairly easy to find, lots of cheap copies though.. most of them have the plug in the wrong orientation, this can be overcome by extending the long leg which goes to the MAF hose with silicon tubing and a piece of hardline so the valve sits higher up behind the headlight.

I have a couple of spare second hand N75s in working order if you can’t find a decent new one.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

Very rare car in white!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the info. I've been kinda stuck because I would much prefer a genuine Bosch unit(s)!

It appears to be rare in white, any idea how many white Avants there were?

Comment

There’s a white RS2 around somewhere but I’ve never seen a white Avant .

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

This one will work.

Let me know if you want to try one of my spare N75s

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392451708082

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Received my birth certificate from Audi tradition this morning.
                            Attached Files

Comment

It says its Left Hand drive on your cert?
                              The Perfectionist
                              sigpic
                              Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Working...
                              X