My Pelican blue 80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mdz View Post

Maybe. I love how they looks, but I somehow found non-ellipsoids giving more light and heard same experience from others too
    Fitting a relays for headlights is on "to do" list for this summer.
    I find Ellipsoids unbeatable with HIDs fitted, which they work well together as a combination.

Do a 'try it and see'

Comment

• I found my DE's with 4300K xenon not that good, certainly no better than standard lights with good lamps in them.

Looks wise you can't beat DE's though.

Comment

• Originally posted by quattrostyle View Post

I found my DE's with 4300K xenon not that good, certainly no better than standard lights with good lamps in them.
        YMMV obviously. Not too dear to try a set off the net now, which is handier.

Comment

• Originally posted by quattrostyle View Post

Looks wise you can't beat DE's though.
          Agreed, ellipsoids, Avus or LM wheels, height of the suspension, and S2 bumpers maketh the aesthetics of a B4.

Comment

• Long time no see.

Second try to update my thread, yesterday internet connection failed along with everything I wrote.

So whats new? Not much changed visually. Just got a B pillar covers with IR recievers

And made a custom front bumper lip. It's a modified BMW E36 M3/M-pack front bumper lip.

Audio got upgraded with some more DLS stuff

And OEM metal speaker covers. Have no idea which cars had them, but I got them from random B3 90.

Managed to destroy my right mirror - wind blew and closed gates against it Don't care much about mirror itself, but broken USDM glass made me sad.

Well, at least I now have Convex glasses on both sides.

One mod I have no pictures of - installed BMW E39 ambient lights inside auto-dim mirror. Really love it

Ok, boring stuff aside, now something bit more interesting.

Motronic ME7.5 setup I wrote before was tested on my friends car and it does work So it's clear what engine management I'll go for

First Idea was to install 1.8 20V N/A as it is, then get a turbo version and swap over. But few beers got it clear - go turbo or go home. That means turbo conversion and...
            ...engine rebuild
            Although engine was done ~100k miles with no excessive wear and was taken good care of, I decided to rebuild it just to learn something new.

Head and block castings on N/A and turbo versions are the same, just N/A block needs some work to be done - there's no turbo coolant return plug.
            So I drilled a hole (there's already place for it), made a thread and fitted plug.

Block got cleaned, painted it matte black and waiting for honing

New piston rings, thrust washers, main and rod bearings, very good condition K03 turbo, APU stock pistons and rods waiting for fitting.

Bought a spare AEB head for camshafts and exhaust valves (intake valves are the same).

Head got cleaned, got some mild port & polish work, valves cleaned, head surface skimmed.

EGR plugged shut (yep, even petrol engines have that sh*t these days)

Head now assembled with valves grinded, new stem seals, new timing chain and new chain tensioner

Since I want to learn to tune the engine myself, plan is to build it to stock spec, get it running right and only then start with modifications.
            And speaking of modifications, I already got some parts for that
            S3 injectors, wideband ECU, Volvo 71mm i.d. MAF housing and exhaust flange for upcoming turbo upgrades.

And just a note - everything except skimming was done all by myself, mostly first time and with cheap tools.

Comment

• Awesome update, looks like you're diving right into the meat of the issue straightaway.

Great work with the b-pillars with IR receivers. I was just wondering if there was a way to include that on a b3 chassis. Do you have a part number?
              Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
              2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
              2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
              1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
              1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

• your dedication to doing it 100% right is an example to us all

Comment

• Good to see you haven't been slacking mdz.

Love you attention to **** stuff such as the B pillar, I like that mod too. They all add up.

Just curious, why you didn't go for an I5 20vt as the work that you've done / doing on the 1.8t is not much less ?

Good work nonetheless. Thanks for continuing to share.

Last edited by macspring; 9 August 2016, 20:40.

Comment

• Originally posted by macspring View Post
                    Good to see you haven't been slacking mdz.

Love you attention to **** stuff such as the B pillar, I like that mod too. They all add up.

Just curious, why you didn't go for an I5 20vt as the work that you've done / doing on the 1.8t is not much less ?

Good work nonetheless. Thanks for contusing to share.

Because 1.8T will actually work, and won't need 10 liters of fuel to go to shop down the road
                    '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
                    '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
                    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

• Originally posted by hunker7 View Post

Because 1.8T will actually work, and won't need 10 liters of fuel to go to shop down the road
                      LOL

Fair comment given your previous and current difficulties.

Put in a decent Bosch lambda probe. Mine is still paying me back with extra mpg for every tankful.

Both of you should have a drive in a healthly and chipped I5 20vt so that you can cure your 'infidelity'.

Comment

• Originally posted by macspring View Post
                        LOL

Fair comment given your previous and current difficulties.

Put in a decent Bosch lambda probe. Mine is still paying me back with extra mpg for every tankful.

Both of you should have a drive in a healthly and chipped I5 20vt so that you can cure your 'infidelity'.

I am still hoping I can have properly running S4 in near future. Hope dies last
                        '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
                        '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
                        '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

• Thanks

I went for 1.8T because IMHO it's the best price/performance/availability engine to swap into B4. It costs way less than I5 and it's very popular so no problem getting parts for it. Also has lots of headroom for improvements.

IR sensor itself has a part number 8A0959989. Covers with or without sensor are the same except for a hole (you can just cut it). Covers on B3 and B4 are the same too.

No pictures this time, but some work has been done: block ir honed now. Since I don't have honing tool, I took it to local Subaru guys to do it for me.
                          Changed both outer CV joint boots and car is now on winter wheels (same as last year - forged C5 R15's).

Comment

• Always look forward to your updates, mostly in awe.

Can't really argue with your logic for a B4 1.8T.

Regards.

Comment

• Nice color! good choice for engine what about gas pedal?

Comment

• Hello. This is incredible...what you could do with that car. I love all thouse OEM upgrades that you did there. Maybe you could help me with some tips. I want to that key upgrade.
                                I need the remote control (and key with 2 or 3 buttons depends on what's available for audi b5), central locking with G at the end (or something from a audi b5), wires and a vcds.
                                How is the new central locking system wired?
                                I think RF system would be much better then IR, so that means the central locking system should be from a car post 1997.

igniton and door switch too??? (would it fit my steering collumn)
                                ps. I have a b4 1.9 tdi
                                Last edited by Catalin_BN; 23 November 2015, 14:09.

Comment

Working...
                                X