RichLV's UrS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by diesel des View Post
    10mm is way to small for an oil breather on our engines.

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk
    The standard pipe which goes to the intake manifold is 13mm (inner). The valve under the manifold also restricts the flow to only small orifice under boost. Stock system isn't much wider.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichLV View Post
      The standard pipe which goes to the intake manifold is 13mm (inner). The valve under the manifold also restricts the flow to only small orifice under boost. Stock system isn't much wider.
      Sure but this is at the source of vacume. The main breather pipes are like 20mm which flows 4 x your 10mm pipe. My breather setup has nothing smaller than 20 or 25mm.

Comment

Sure but this is at the source of vacume. The main breather pipes are like 20mm which flows 4 x your 10mm pipe. My breather setup has nothing smaller than 20 or 25mm.

The main pipes are able to handle more flow, but that doesn't mean that the flow is there. I don't know the diameter of the orifice in the PCV valve, but it's certainly not 20mm. And besides, since the system doesn't push out the gases, but rather sucks them out via pipes with the help of either manifold or turbo vacuum, doesn't it mean that with smaller pipes the gases will flow with higher velocity? In this case, the can's smaller diameter will serve as the orifice.

I suppose I could drill the can holes bigger... Have to talk with my fabricator first. I had a thought that 10mm might be too small and will just suffocate the system.
        Last edited by RichLV; 31 March 2016, 14:03.

Comment

The main pipes are able to handle more flow, but that doesn't mean that the flow is there. I don't know the diameter of the orifice in the PCV valve, but it's certainly not 20mm. And besides, since the system doesn't push out the gases, but rather sucks them out via pipes with the help of either manifold or turbo vacuum, doesn't it mean that with smaller pipes the gases will flow with higher velocity? In this case, the can's smaller diameter will serve as the orifice.

I suppose I could drill the can holes bigger... Have to talk with my fabricator first. I had a thought that 10mm might be too small and will just suffocate the system.
          My experience is that small breather pipes create crank case pressure as they can't flow enough. They are also likely to plug up with gunge.

Comment

My experience is that small breather pipes create crank case pressure as they can't flow enough. They are also likely to plug up with gunge.

I followed your advice. Modified the catch can with 20mm brass nipples and I'm using 20mm hoses straight from the crankcase breather -> can and from the can -> intake transfer pipe. Hope that's enough and the ride won't smoke in idle or under load.

Had some issues when assembled, such as bad instrument cluster fuse, the cluster did not want to come alive. Changed the fuse and problem sorted.

When we spun the engine on the starter, oil did not want to circulate around. Had to prime the oil pump. Since everything was already assembled the only solution we had was to prime it via the oil temperature sensor/oil release valve. Took it out and injected oil using a syringe and a very handy silicone vacuum hose, which I managed to stick to the very end and get the oil right onto the gears. Got pressure after that - 3 bar of pressure just on the starter.

The car did not want to start anyway. It was bubbling and spitting and almost starting but nothing in the end. Suspecting bad fuel, since it was sitting in the garage for almost a year with 5 liters in the tank. Fuel doesn't burn. I took out a soaking wet plug & used a lighter on it just to check if it burns - nothing, it doesn't burn even when burned. I'll drain the tank & fuel rail, swap the fuel filter & fill it with fresh fuel. Should be a go from there.

Also I have a pretty low compression in the cylinders, but that's probably because the rings don't have enough oil on them/have not sat in properly yet, and some of the hydrolifters don't have enough oil in them and can't open the valves properly yet.

Comment

Aluminium injector inserts from our own Dobby84.

I'm assembling the head at the moment. Bottom's almost fully ready, only the catch can installation and hose routing left. Having trouble putting back the damn front ARB, can't seem to be able to do it alone.
              They are 316 stainless not aluminium mate.[emoji3]

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Dobby84 View Post
                They are 316 stainless not aluminium mate.[emoji3]

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
                I stand corrected.

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXLNbpWy8mA

Comment

• Great news. Congrats
                    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

• Had the chance to take a fairly decent pic of the ride.

I'll do full write-up on the jobs done on Saturday. Right now it's running like a dream. No loads yet, 2.5k & 0.5 bar boost max, doing the break-in now. 650km left, then oil change and then gradually increase the loads.

Comment

• Nice one!! My congrats!!!!!
                        Audi S6 C4 2.2T Quattro 1997, full rebuild....
                        Audi A5 Sportback V6 2.7 TDI 2011
                        Volkswagen Phaeton V6 3.0 TDI 2009

Comment

• She's a beauty. What power you're expecting?
                          '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
                          '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
                          '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

• Originally posted by hunker7 View Post
                            She's a beauty. What power you're expecting?
                            Thanks, kinda fell in love again.

For now still stock. Only the exhaust manifold has been changed. In the future I'm opting for a billet K24-7200 from Vidar and 440cc Bosch's probably. Leaning more towards staying on Motronic (Mafless, by PRJ), don't want to lose the trip computer. Power isn't the main focus, I want torque - the more, the better. Basically maximum safe power & torque that a billet K24-7200 can offer. Got X-beams just for the torque actually.

Comment

• You have the same idea as me, torque is life I'd go for 7400 as it spools quicker than 7200 and is probably cheaper if you can find one. Atleast that's what I'm going for.
                              '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
                              '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
                              '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

• The 7400 is quite rare here. I've tried to look for one, but we almost don't have S60 R's and V70 R's for breaking here. Other than that the 7400 needs fabrication and plumbing change, and I want to keep my silicone hoses and stock layout under the hood. 7200 is plug&play and AFAIK the billet ones spool faster than standard.

Can the old 2.3.2 Motronic be mated to a wideband lambda? Since I'm planning to outfit the car with a multitude of gauges (boost, afr, exhaust temp, fuel pressure), I'd like a wideband gauge somewhere. Or does the wideband function as a separate device? Sorry, my knowledge here is blank. :/
                                Last edited by RichLV; 14 April 2016, 14:06.

Comment

Working...
                                X