No announcement yet.

Pearl white coupe revival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non sunroof headlinings for Coupes are extremely rare in this country, not sure what it's like in North America but am guessing it's much the same. They're also a nightmare to transport any distance so I can understand you not wanting to do away with the sunroof.

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Well, i can touch it without needing to be decontaminated now. Once again, pleasantly surprised how solid it is given the life it's had. But damn i have a long road ahead!!!

20230610_125622.jpg 20230610_125629.jpg 20230610_125638.jpg
      1993 UrS4...aka the rocket powered living room

Comment

Right, so i've gotten everything off that i can and it still be a roller. Gonna start with stripping the crusty sound deadening out of the interior.

I have narrowed down the engine to either a 2.7t or sticking with a 7a. I'm gonna let that decision marinate for a while more. I may buy the aan bottom end as insurance (i'll have everything i need for the 7a) in the meantime.

The biggest decision made is that i have decided it'll never be "worth" anything, therefore a "proper" restoration is not gonna be worth the effort. No amount of money thrown at it will erase the 385,000kms it's racked up.

This frees me up considerably. I need to have a conversation with my mechanic friend who will do the safety inspection with respect to what i can and cannot get away with and still get a license plate. It'll be a bit speculative as the rules are supposedly getting much more strict in january. I suspect at least 2 years before it needs to be inspected... the main points of contention will be regarding how much interior needs to be there and do i need to cover up all the metal. AC is not gonna make it back in for sure and if i can get my hands on a manual HVAC setup, i will. Depending on what my mechanic says, the sunroof could very well be welded shut....by someone better at welding sheet metal than me lol!!!! ABS is on the bubble too.

So, she's gonna be a bit on the rowdy side when done, not so civilized. The way i see it, if i wanted civilized and proper, i would go thru the effort and expense and just import a real S2 and be done with it. And there's no point in doing that when i have a clean ~400hp s6 that is wonderful for properly long drives as well as the commute.
        Last edited by ottawa coupe; 15 June 2023, 01:21.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
          Non sunroof headlinings for Coupes are extremely rare in this country, not sure what it's like in North America but am guessing it's much the same. They're also a nightmare to transport any distance so I can understand you not wanting to do away with the sunroof.

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk
          There were no CQs imported to NA without sunroof. 89/90 production had steel and 91 production had smoked glass.

Comment

On the bright side, the sill plate came off REALLY easily!!

20230615_171730.jpg

Once again though, ugly as hell but absolutely solid still. Any other car the i have worked on that looked like this you could poke your finger through.

A pause for a few days as i have a race this weekend and i should probably check that car beforehand lol.

Sound deadening removal in the back and then save up the pennies to get material to tip it on it's side to get at the bottom. I may have decided the car will piss off purists but it will at least be rot free lol!!!

Comment

The contrast from top to bottom on this car continues to astound me (i inow i am a broken record but around here cars 1/3 this age frequently have no floors...

Revived my dad's pressure washer and got at the bottom while on my hoist. A few more passes to do but...

20230619_173134.jpg

Comment

300£ to ship an ABY swap from the uk to canada seems.....suspicious.... right?

Comment

Originally posted by ottawa coupe View Post
                  300£ to ship an ABY swap from the uk to canada seems.....suspicious.... right?
                  Very
                  Nothelle S2 Avant
                  Black Ur project
                  Ocianic Ur project gone
                  S2 Coupe project gone
                  Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

I figured., thanks

Comment

So, the project is not dead by any means, just been on pause for a bit.. s6 is broken, waiting for parts from germany and the racecar is waiting for parts from eibach...

In the meantime i have been looking into the paint (yeah, way into the future). I think i need to do a rethink on the pearl white. $4000 just to buy it..... yikes, that's insane. I am coming up with a few ideas of some interesting options. Basically anything pearl is where the money goes. So i will likely deviate.

Friggin broke right now, like everybody else is around here so not worried about having to rush, but there's a facelift d2 a8 for sale locally for cheap as well as a c5 a6 2.7t for half that in toronto that i have my eye on. They'll more than likely be around in a coupla months still...

Vacation this week, when i get back, the parts for both other cars should be here, i can then get them outta the way and start on some welding on this pile....

Comment

Right, pulled this back into the shop today to see exactly how screwed i am lol

Yeah, hitting things with the wire wheel produced the carnage i suppose i should have expected. I have more metal work than i originally thought.... this is just the drivers sill

20230811_154429.jpg

stupid phone won't upload....

At any rate, much worse than i feared.

I've been watching lots of yorkshire car restoration videos recently so it'll be fine right???

Comment

Right, pulled this back into the shop today to see exactly how screwed i am lol

Yeah, hitting things with the wire wheel produced the carnage i suppose i should have expected. I have more metal work than i originally thought.... this is just the drivers sill

20230811_154429.jpg

stupid phone won't upload....

At any rate, much worse than i feared.

I've been watching lots of yorkshire car restoration videos recently so it'll be fine right???

Edit: what are the chances there are repair panels out there for the sill? It will likely be best to replace the whole upper section. Worst case i guess is i cut it out and take it to a sheet metal shop to replicate. I'd need a 4' metal brake at least to do it myself and those start at $1500 in these parts!
                          Last edited by ottawa coupe; 12 August 2023, 01:11.

Comment

Carry on removing paint... If those bits are that rusty under paint, its sadly possible that other areas are as well.

No repair panels for these bits of the shell - it would have to be a cut from a car that is scrapped for some reason that didn't involve the sills being damaged. Doesn't have to be a quattro coupe of course which might open up opportunities of finding a donor sill.

Comment

Are the outer sills the same for a sedan....at least on the upper face? Wpuldn't it be different for the b pillar? It seems possible to get metal for a sedan. Might be a piece i can at least start from? Not sure what will be the least hassle yet.....

Hit the rest of the floor, looks like the drivers seat mount will have to come out in order to fix under there but i THINK the rest is ok.

Going to leave the sill for the moment and deal with little things while i brush up on welding technique, it's been about a year since i used it.

First order of business will be fixing the bottom of the fenders where they bolt in to the car. I'll do the floor then progress to the parts that are actually seen....

No need to rush, my hope is to have things welded up by the spring, hardly a stressful timeline.

Edit: oh boy, i'm in for some work lol. Definitely expanding my skillset on this car lol.

20230812_173049.jpg the middle bit of floor under the seat mount is suitable for screen doors.... and i gotta dig into the inner sill a bit too now.

Good times. At least with this stuff it just has to be strong, not pretty. I can do that lol.

Last edited by ottawa coupe; 12 August 2023, 22:47.

Comment

There are a pair of sills on ebay uk currently

Comment

Working...
                                X