10 out of 10 for creativity.
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Originally posted by ottawa coupe View Post
      Getting back on it this weekend. After an hour with the wire wheel, the floor is as rust free as it's gonna get i think.... the garage is now coated in a fine layer of rust particles....as is the inside of my nose .

the rest of the weekend will be spent trying to get the rest of the adhesive out and a general cleanup. Once that is done, the big task is to get it on it's side so i can get cracking on the underside.

And it would seem i have sorted the engine issue. I found a 7a for sale within reasonable distance from me but the seller isn't responding. So by chance i found a belt driven 40v roughly the same distance away. Again, seller seems a little less than communicative but for $200 (yes, 2 hundred!) bucks, i will hopefully be hopping in the car next weekend to get it.

20231021_111131.jpg

20231021_171236.jpg
      An hour!!! That is good going..

Mine took me days on and off with a combo if a grinder and drill wire wheel attachments!

love the rotisserie

Jase.

Comment

Well, to be fair, all the sound deadening had flaked off about 7 years ago i think lol. I was just cleaning bare metal.

As for the tipserrie, about $200 in hardware and lumber vs $4000 at princess auto (dunno if there's a european equivalent, think giant store filled with the "finest" tools china can produce) for a proper rotisserie. And given the chinesium quality on hand there, i REFUSE to give them serious money for something that will likely break the second time you use it lol.

I've got some cleaning up before i get stuck into actually fixing the bottom. another week or so before i get cuttin i bet.
        1993 UrS4...aka the rocket powered living room

Comment

Good work!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

Comment

Thought it would be overkill at first but after finding a number of spots where the undercoating had blistered and rust had started underneath. So, the next couple weeks are gonna be pretty rough i think. I wonder if my gronder will survive the onslaught....

Hands are already tingly lol

20231027_115330.jpg

Comment

%$$$%^%$

No cheap v8. Dumbass has been radio silent and has not given me a meeting point. Not gonna hop in the car at stupid o'clock on a saturday to drive 6 hours with no destination and then back again lol.

Sigh, back to the drawing board....

Maybe i will run across a cheap facelift d2 donor in the dead of winter....fingers crossed.

no matter, not like i don't have work to do as it is lol

Comment

Very frustrating. If it's anything like the UK with you, marketplace is full of scam adverts at the moment and no one in authority seems to care.
                Nothelle S2 Avant
                Black Ur project
                Ocianic Ur project gone
                S2 Coupe project gone
                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

The universe is telling you to wait for an i5

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

The cosmic tea leaves have spoken, it is your destiny.

Comment

• If the cosmic tea leaves can foot the bill lol.....

Gonna leave the motor situation to the side for now. Plenty of work dealing with corrosion for the forseeable future. 4 hours of wire wheel on a grinder and only 60% done the drivers side.....

20231028_110117.jpg

Comment

• If your rottiserie is on or can be made to be on wheels, have you considered media blasting?...

I had engine bay, front inner arches, and underside of a car blasted on my driveway by a mobile media blaster. Best £350 ever spent - absolutely removed rust quickly and amazingly easy (isnt it always when you have proper kit?) 3hours work AND it removed right into corners a round wire wheel can't get to.

Wire wheeling is ok but please make sure it is all gone - the finish can look clean but, you might find you've polished over the rust which remains in the rust pitted surface.

It would be such a shame for it to come back after all the effort you are clearly putting in.

Get some 80 grit oxide paper and rub a pitted area you have wire wheeled - you might find that once the surface is scuffed up, there are signs of brown. Been there, done that and had to do it again.

Mobile blaster day was a revelation and, with the car as stripped down as you have it - there is no extra effort needed to protect areas or parts you don't want blasting...

Comment

• I don't think blasting gets the undercoating off??

Noted regarding the rust though. It is a good thing i am doing this in the end, i'm up to 6 new holes i believe.

In the end, i think if i was to pay to get ot stripped, i'd go the chemical route. However, it seems the only place on this side of the rockies is in toronto now and costs in the neighbourhood of $4000...

But maybe i should call around for blasting.... might be worth the expense as you say.

20231030_153840.jpg

Comment

• Sand blasting will make short work of the underseal and only leave behind clean metal, it is however very, very messy. Though it will save you a lot of time in the long run.
                            1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                            1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                            1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                            1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• My experience is that Sand blasting has no effect on the thick rubberised underseal you find on old Audis. I've watched interesting videos where they blast with ice. This seems to work exceptionally well, making the underseal hard and brittle, shortly after, just falling off.
                              I found the saw blade on the multi tool quite good on the thicker stuff but it does cut into the metal a bit. Whatever method you use, good luck.
                              Nothelle S2 Avant
                              Black Ur project
                              Ocianic Ur project gone
                              S2 Coupe project gone
                              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Chemical stripping may sound like the business but beware chemicals stripping areas of the bodyshell that can't then be painted... I know that here in the uk these companies then apply an e coat by immersing the shell again once repaired but, a quick Google will reveal very mixed reviews about the process...

There are far too many horror stories about the stripping agent being left behind in seams only to leach out later and ruin expensive paintwork.

There are also stories of rust being left behind in seams where you have no idea its there until it expands and opens up the seam to more weather and, all of this risk for $4000?

​​​

I had a metal bumper insert to do a repair on once for someone. Looked lovely but, i had cause to remove a spot welded bracket to do the repair and, yep - it was rusty under the bracket despite being dipped.

There is no doubt blasting is messy though but for me 100% worth it...you can sweep up mess with a brush, its not as easy dealing with returning rust!
                                Last edited by steve briance; 31 October 2023, 08:09.

Comment

Working...
                                X