X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No.. this is CQ Vs my "faux" S2 that are the exact same as the real S2

Comment

• Hmmmm.

Will dig further. by chance, there's a b5 in local scrap yard. I've ordered up a slide hammer so next week i'll hopefully have the rear brakes sorted. Will pull out my spare urs6 hubs and compare them with the cq and b5 when i've finish welding on the shell.

Speaking of, the drivers sill is fully welded in now.

20231123_213808.jpg

One last detail at the rear arch to sort and then the tedious task of flattening all the welds down. As the saying goes, my grinder makes me the welder i ain't lol.

After that, flip it, replace passenger side sill and 2 new bad patches i just spotted. After that the serious structural rot will be gone....
      1993 UrS4...aka the rocket powered living room

Comment

• I have various C4/C3 five lug hubs sat on the shelf doing nothing, if you want me to take photos and give you diamentions etc, drop me a PM and I'll send you my email as I'm having problems posting photos at the moment. I wouldn't want silly money for them as I'm never going to use them.
        1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
        1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
        1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
        1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• Thank you very much, i appreciate it. I'll send ya a message next week after i get my junkyard hubs.

Silly question for today. I took off the mid trim just now and this doesn't look quite right to my eye.

The surface should be flat and those small holes aren't supposed to be there right?

20231124_104539.jpg

Comment

• Well, no b5 hubs yet as amazon decided to not deliver my puller. Might get them friday. I hope. The A4 is still at the yard but it's been there for almost 2 months, won't be there much longer i fear.

Got the car flipped and wire wheeling the rest of the bottom. Hoping to get at the last of the undercoating tonight. What a crap job!!!! But i guess it is good that i have done it, i found a number of spots where the coating had lifted away from the metal and began rusting, but with no outward signs at all.

In the end though, it looks like the shell will be rot free before christmas which is a pleasant surprise. Then on to the panels which is gonna suck, one of the doors has a nasty, visible, and sizable spot. Great, just what i need, a patch in sheet metal right in the middle of the panel. I am "sure" i won't warp the snot outta that lol....

Comment

• Enjoying your updates.
              You can remove the hubs without a puller. Find a couple of long bolts that have the same thread pitch as the wheel nuts. Place a strip of metal plate against the hub carrier under the bolt. Wind in the bolt until tight against the plate. Do the same on the opposite side and then slowly wind in the bolts until the bearing falls out with hub.
              Nothelle S2 Avant
              Black Ur project
              Ocianic Ur project gone
              S2 Coupe project gone
              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Yeah, it looks like i'll have to look into that. Amazon not coming thru right now....

Of course i bet i'll then have problems finding a long enough m14 bolt easily lol.

Comment

• Well, miraculously found m14 bolts in my bucket o bolts and now have complete front and rear hubs and brakes from a 97 b5 2.8. As established, rear fits no problems.

Fronts are actually really close. I have some fiddling and measuring to do but first attempt would indicate a 1 or 2mm spacer between hub and bearing may allow for the use of b5 brakes outta the box. Which would then mean that any b5 upgrade would also fit.

But obviously a spacer between the hub and bearing is something to be VERY carefully and cautiously considered wrt how the bearing is then loaded etc....

Pics this weekend maybe....hopefully...

Edit: nope, b5 front hubs and spacers are a nogo. Because we're dealing with 7-8mm. Very little engagement on inner bearing race so can't move the hub. Can't actually press it in all the way either as it interferes with upright. Can't put a spacer between hub and rotor because only 7-8mm, so very little meat to maintain hubcentricity and thus load bearing.... so, b5 fronts are out. Still want to try and stick with b5 geometry. Will break out the calipers this weekend to see what i need to accomplish that
                  Last edited by ottawa coupe; 30 November 2023, 22:26.

Comment

• Reading up more and it seems that if i get my s6 hubs modified, then i can do the same setup as my s6 with d2 a8 323mm rotors and 17z calipers with the same adapter? Works really well on my s6 so i imagine it would be a fantastic setup on a car weighing 700lbs less!
                    Last edited by ottawa coupe; 1 December 2023, 00:42.

Comment

• More fiddling done late last night and i am not sure i'm returning the b5 front stuff just quite yet.

The b5 front hubs are definitely out but the brakes may not be just yet. I scavenged my urs6 hubs and pressed it in as far as i can without machining and the b5 rotor and caliper are about 4mm outboard from fitting. The hub is about 3mm outboard from being pressed in all the way. So we're looking at a mm or so interferance possibly. Shaving a mm from one mating surface or 0.5 from two isn't gonna result in fatality i don't think?

getting the urs hubs machined to fit is now the priority so then i can do proper measurements

Comment

• Got the last of the undercoating removal FINALLY done this morning. What a pain that has been. Happy yet frustrated i did it. I was about 15mins from finishing up in the rear wheelarch and a chasm opened up that was comoletely hidden by the undercoating. The most annoying bit being that i need to cut a lot of other metal to get proper access to fix the actual problem.... boo.

Metal work will be done by christmas still but it's gonna be right up to the last minute i think

Comment

• As a side quest this week. Got the urs6 hubs machined. Just got them pressed in and soooo close. The b5 brake is 2mm from fitting. The carrier is 22mm thick at that point so i do not see harm in shaving 2mm on that face. That said, the c5 312mmx 25mm rotors and calipers can be had very cheaply. I had that setup on a b5 i owned eons ago and it was quite effective. So i will likely get that setup in the new year and shave those carriers down accordingly.

got on with the passenger side sill as well. Dealing with a bunch of details beforeci can get it back on but it should be sorted by the end of the weekend. Next week will be dedicated to the final hole found in the wheelarch, which is liky to get bigger before it gets smaller

I gotta push now because i have a new job starting in the new year and i suspect i will have significantly less spare time, want to get the shell sorted before then.

Comment

• Well, the weekend was a bust. Saturday morning was spent wrestling with an aging furnace and when i got out to the shop i got about 60mm of weld done before i ran out of gas.....9 minutes before the store that swaps tanks on a saturday closes. And they are 20 minutes away lol.

Some days murphy and his laws can just suck it lol.

At any rate, got the sill in today, finally.

20231212_182813.jpg

One more patch on the shell and it's finally done...... and then i take a look at the doors and subframes..... oh fun....

Comment

• Nice work. Your welding looks good. What size gas bottle are you using? Mine seems to last for ever and I recall you ran out recently as well.
                              A dodgy furnace over with you this time of year can't be fun at all. Of course we call them boilers over here. In my experience the older ones are actually more reliable, if a little less efficient. Our 25 year old Worcester Bosch oil boiler (furnace) is still going strong and I have no intention of swapping it for anything anytime soon. We do rely on logs for our main heating source mind so it doesn't get worked too hard. Logs are expensive to buy but we have a never ending supply of dead ash on our smallholding. I think over 80% of UK ash trees are dead or dying from a fungal disease. Sad.
                              Nothelle S2 Avant
                              Black Ur project
                              Ocianic Ur project gone
                              S2 Coupe project gone
                              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Yeah, i went through this bottle quite quickly, i usually make them last years. Don't know the volume off hand, it's about halfway up my thigh tho. I think i just left the flow rate too high.....that or i have a leak???

As for the heating....oh boy this is gonna cause me some headaches to figure out and not go poor. I live in a weird grey zone of infrastructure. Within the city limits but i don't get water, sewage, or natural gas. So i heat with propane.....second only to oil in terms of cost. Looking into heat pumps as there are government incentives to make the switch and the running costs look to be a lot cheaper. Would LOVE to heat with wood BUT my house just isn't laid out effectively for it and wood has gotten shockingly expensive in the last 2 years. The furnace is 20 years old (about as long as you can expect these days it seems) and i think it was made by audi as the issue i am facing is, drumroll, corrosion!! Lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X