Yet another 3B engine rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations on the bent rod mate.

You are fooking lucky you haven't done more damage and getting away with keeping the bore the same size.

BTW - I am getting 5 Pauter rods sent next Tuesday - these are for Sal - I am waiting to see how long a time the next set would be - If you are desperate for rods you will need to speak to Sal to jump the queue!
    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Did you find out what the Sport Quattro headgasket is? Is it thicker than the metal laminated one?

Comment

did you try tt pistons, for the lower compression?
        --------------------------------------------------------
        Real carbon parts for S2 and RS2. Check Carbondesign on facebook

Comment

I have got a set of arrows on there way to me for tuesday. Everything else has been ordered from VAGparts(cheers Martyn). The bills just keep on coming. Have to order the Helix clutch plate too next week and strip the head ready for its FLOW job
          sigpic
          Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
          Audi UR Quattro
          Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
          Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
          Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH
            The Sport quattro head gasket is crazy money. IIRC they are about £120 They're also not the easiest items to get hold of.
            It's come down in price quite a bit now. There only about £40

Since VAG changed all their prices and discounts there are quite a few RS2/SportQuattro bits that a lot more reasonably priced.

Ben
            the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
            1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

So what is the difference between the sport quattro head gasket and the metal laminated one?

Comment

I don't know at the minute. I suppose we need to order one to have a look at.

Ben
                the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
                1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Tom, what are your bores like? Mine is in bits at the moment and I've got a bit of a step at the top of the bores, thinking to stone it out as the cross hatching was visible otherwise.. This will save about a grand (pistons and a rebore) and I wont be turning up the wick as high as you anyway. Maybe 360bhp ish.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WabTheKing
                    i notice on your shopping list you have 7A cam's why is this?
                    Will, the 7a cams have a higher lift and so a higher flow, this helps the air 'throughput' required wen you have a RS2 or higher spec turbo. The 7a cams are cheaper than the RS2 ones possibly

Any way, it makes you go faster!

David

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
                      So what is the difference between the sport quattro head gasket and the metal laminated one?
                      IIRC...the Sport quattro head gasket won't be of any use on our motors The displacement on that motor was 2133cc, with a bore size of 79.3mm. The gasket was designed to bite into the original alloy block and head to create a good seal. I don't know if this would cause any issues on a cast block? If you want to lower the compression ratio, the easiest thing to do would be to machine the pistons.
                      91 Modded 3B
                      14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

WJ marked block was aloy....

Comment

Got a spare piston(cheers steve) that im gonna cut in half to see how thick the crown is. After this I will then decide if im gonna skim the pistons flat.

@John, the bores are fine, slight ridge, but nothing that wont be ok. I too can see the honing marks, so they cant be too bad. I have checked the bore to see if they are still round and they are, so just some new rings
                          sigpic
                          Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                          Audi UR Quattro
                          Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                          Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                          Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

I have already posted pics and measurements of chopped pistons - I'll find the link.

Comment

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...ston+thickness

I can od more accurate measurements if you want?

Comment

Tom,
                                if you skim the pistons flay wont that spoil the squish area. I am sure I remember seeing an e-mail from Steve at JE when Doug was talking to him about the pistons they made for us that, that would be wrong?
                                Better to make the bowl area deeper if crown thickness is thick enough.

Mark.
                                Mark - Modded

Comment

Working...
                                X