No announcement yet.

My 3B Coupé Project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't worry Mr RS I'll use a hacksaw first as you say. There will be a lot of metal filings sprayed about otherwise.
    What's the best thing to paint the bare metal with? I've got some red oxide primer here, or some black Hammerite is a fairly close colour match.

Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
    Have you got to this yet? Planning on doing the same but no idea how easy it will be.
    Getting rid of the steering column cable looks pretty easy. That would be a good start, as the last thing I want in a crash is dashboard and steering column wrecked on top of any other damage.
    There are some fairly sturdy looking rusty brackets at the back of the engine bay, which the cables are attached to, they must weigh a bit.
    The part I haven't investigated yet is where the cables go to the seat belt tensioners. Oh well, Looks like I'll be pulling more of the car apart.
    SS

Comment

zinc primer

Comment

Originally posted by volcano rs View Post
        zinc primer
        Thanks. I haven’t got any of that in the garage, so I’ll get some next weekend.

Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter
        Originally posted by s2dude View Post
        yeah. pm user andyp.

He found and used the guy successfully for OEM febi bomb iirc
        Ah yes. I didn't see the outcome of this thread. Cheers.
        It looks like I have the later type of bomb as the family album suggests and is also confirmed here by AndyP.

So I need the Febi 26538 bomb (4A0 612 061 D). Cheers Andys.
        SS

Comment

I've not had much time for the S2 again this last week. I've had a few jobs to do to the other Audis. But here's a little update.

I've removed the ProConTen chassis brackets and the steering column cable, which combined weigh 5kg. So that's good news.
          For now I'm just poking the seat belt cables into the footwells, as the car has to many parts in it to start dismantling more of the interior. I'll get rid of those later.

I've also painted the subframes. I'll try to get some pictures sometime, although they do just look like ordinary black subframes.

I'm also going to paint the RARB. Whiteline seem to think it's ok to powdercoat over rusty metal. After ~18 months of use it looks in a bad way. I'll paint that black too, as I didn't really like seeing a silver bar showing under the rear of the car. The RS2 FARB still looks in good shape.
          SS

Comment

Nice work mr. Stu, mine looked something like that at 8 this evening in front of the garage and all I wanted to do was fit my new rad... this must be some sort of westcountry disease where if you say radiator you mean whole car or something like that. Are you not tempted to fit a thicker RARB? I got my 24mm and 25mm bars from All Audi for 5/8ths of FA. No more work to fit if everything is of the car but if you liked the Whiteline then that's the way to go again.
            Cheers'en, AndyC
            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_Casey View Post
              Nice work mr. Stu, mine looked something like that at 8 this evening in front of the garage and all I wanted to do was fit my new rad... this must be some sort of westcountry disease where if you say radiator you mean whole car or something like that. Are you not tempted to fit a thicker RARB? I got my 24mm and 25mm bars from All Audi for 5/8ths of FA. No more work to fit if everything is of the car but if you liked the Whiteline then that's the way to go again.
              I'm tempted by a FARB on the rear after having a go in your car, but I'm planning to try a set of Bilstein dampers next. They should be a lot stiffer than the Konis. I'll see how it handles then, and keep the 23/24/25mm RARB options in mind.
              SS

Comment

Looks like messers Stu & Corbin have their work cut out BIG style - brave stuff... Pictures of the stripped cockpit are the most stressful - you look at those and wonder how the heck it will ever go the same again.

Nice work for weighing everything meaningful that gets stripped. Quite a gearbox upgrade Stu has in the works. The 01A is just not man enough for the torque from a modified S2 engine.

Please keep us all updated with lots of photos and info of progress !

Paul
                Paul Nugent
                Webmaster http://S2central.net
                Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                  Looks like messers Stu & Corbin have their work cut out BIG style - brave stuff... Pictures of the stripped cockpit are the most stressful - you look at those and wonder how the heck it will ever go the same again.
                  Indeed. I wonder if I'm brave or stupid.

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                  Nice work for weighing everything meaningful that gets stripped. Quite a gearbox upgrade Stu has in the works. The 01A is just not man enough for the torque from a modified S2 engine.

Please keep us all updated with lots of photos and info of progress !

Paul
                  Will do, Paul. I've started another weight saving exersize tonight. :mischeif: I'll post some more pictures when I get chance.

In the meantime here's the freshly painted subframes.

I might even put the rear subframe on this weekend. That will make a change, fitting something to the car, rather than removing it.
                  SS

Comment

Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post
                    Indeed. I wonder if I'm brave or stupid.

Will do, Paul. I've started another weight saving exersize tonight. :mischeif: I'll post some more pictures when I get chance.

In the meantime here's the freshly painted subframes.

I might even put the rear subframe on this weekend. That will make a change, fitting something to the car, rather than removing it.
                    they look really good, was it just a wire drill attachment and hammerite?

Comment

looking bloody good there Stu....I got quoted £35 for the front and rear subframes and arb's for a grit blast and powder coat. Plan it to get them off this weekend. Still sure that price is wrong - if not then the struts will be coming off too for a blast and paint I think, seems pointless not to.

To drop the subframes, where is the best place to move the axle stands too? currently the car is off the ground but the stands or on the subs.

Oh BTW......I ain't brave.....DEFINATELY stupid for deciding to kick this project off
                      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
                        they look really good, was it just a wire drill attachment and hammerite?
                        Just wire brush drill attachments, a coat of Kurust and a couple of coats of Hammerite. All stuff I have in the garage anyway, so not much cost involved.
                        If I wanted them to look really good I could've given them another coat or two of Hammerite, and picked out a few more of the bristles from the 10p brush I used. But at the end of the day the car isn't going to be a concours winner with mirrors under it. As long as the rust doesn't come back, I'll be happy.

David, I've just got the car on blocks at the usual jacking points. I just put my trolley jack under the rear diff, took the driveshafts off, undid the lower ball joints, disconnected the diff vacuum lines and unhooked the handbrake cables Then I just undid the subframe mounts and gently lowered it all down.

Obviously the front one was really easy for me, what with no engine or suspension there. I dropped (literally) the gearbox and front subframe out as one too.

I couldn’t get the propshaft bolts undone, so I dropped the gearbox, prop, and reat diff down onto a plank and slid them out the front of the car. Then dismantled it all there.
                        SS

Comment

Here is another picture for you. :mischeif:

Another kg off the car.
                          SS

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
                            looking bloody good there Stu....I got quoted £35 for the front and rear subframes and arb's for a grit blast and powder coat. Plan it to get them off this weekend. Still sure that price is wrong - if not then the struts will be coming off too for a blast and paint I think, seems pointless not to.

To drop the subframes, where is the best place to move the axle stands too? currently the car is off the ground but the stands or on the subs.

Oh BTW......I ain't brave.....DEFINATELY stupid for deciding to kick this project off
                            I went for a zinc primer too to try and stop the rot! I paid £65 for my rear subframe... I was happy enough with the job but the service was a bit dodgy. Think I'll use them again though as I know what to expect and the owner likes (to talk) cars.

Nice Job there Stu, always good to know that the subframes are ok, especially after my experiences last Autumn
                            Cheers'en, AndyC
                            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Another little update......

I'm afraid recently my spare time has been taken up by various trips to the Nürburgring, tinkering with the other Audis and a few other projects. So not much progress has been made on the old banger.

It seems that rusty subframes were the least of my worries. I’ve been spending some time fighting the rust in the engine bay too. Maybe the days when my car was living near the sea in Brighton have taken their toll. At least there’s no major rot, just a bit of surface rust here and there.
                              It seemed like a bad idea to get the engine bay mostly clear and ignore the problem, so I stripped the rest of the parts out, and set to it with a stiff wire brush. :mischeif:

With the price of 3B Coupés these days, I’m sure it would’ve been easier to scrap the car and buy another S2 on a T chassis, but it wouldn’t be my Panthero 3B, would it?

Here’s a picture of the engine bay in it’s current state. Not much to see but zinc primer really.

Sorry for the blurry photo, but these dark nights seem to be moving in fast.
                              Last edited by 4WheelDrifter; 2 October 2007, 20:42. Reason: Typo. Cheers Bry.
                              SS

Comment

Where do you get stiff wore brushes from?
                                Kingdoms are run by Kings, Dictatorships are run by Dictators.
                                England must be a Country. :mischeif:

Comment

Working...
                                X