My 3B Coupé Project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 3B Coupé Project.

As many of you know my gearbox died a horrible death last winter. Since then the car has been sat on the driveway where the AA man kindly dumped it. There it sat for a couple of months while I was busy with other things.

Then a few people got to know that my car was a non runner, so I started taking a few bits and pieces off of the car to loan to people in need.

I decided seeing as the gearbox has to be swapped, I would take the chance to upgrade and refurbish a few other parts on the car. So I started to pull the old banger apart.

So far I've taken the engine out, along with anything else that was in the way in the engine bay, suspension and subframes off, gearbox out along with propshaft and the rear diff, and the dashboard has come out too, so I can have a poke around under there.

Here's the car in it's current state.

Under the bonnet.

Inside.

Maybe I should have titled the thread 4WheelDrifter's lost the plot.
    SS

So whats the plan Stu?
    S2 + RS2 yep ive had a few love em... Laser red S2 avant... Brilliant black lhd RS2... Polar silver RS2... RS blau RS2... CheeRS Al

Comment

Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post
      and the dashboard has come out too, so I can have a poke around under there. ........................
      Maybe I should have titled the thread 4WheelDrifter's lost the plot.
      haha. no **** sherlock. you've lost it big style. first lending people parts and then taking everything else apart just for the hell of it!

i'm in the process of stripping mine to do a reshell. any top tips for taking off the subframes and in particular the gearbox and engine? did you take them both out together on the front subframe?

cheers
      Nj
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      1990 CQ20v
      2001 3.0 B6 A4 Avant Quattro Sport

Comment

Its hard trying to find space for all the parts isn't it
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fourcircle View Post
          haha. no **** sherlock. you've lost it big style. first lending people parts and then taking everything else apart just for the hell of it!

i'm in the process of stripping mine to do a reshell. any top tips for taking off the subframes and in particular the gearbox and engine? did you take them both out together on the front subframe?

cheers
          Nj
          I took the head off first, then slid the engine block out the front on a plank, took the exhaust off, dropped the rear diff and prop, disconnected everything from the gearbox apart from the prop and subframe, then dropped the front subframe down and pulled the whole transmission out from under the car. The propshaft bolts were seized, so I had to take it all out as a whole. I had hardly any elbow room under the car.
          SS

Comment

Originally posted by Jon441cc View Post
            Its hard trying to find space for all the parts isn't it
            You're not wrong there. Along with all the other spares I have, I can hardly move in my garage.
            SS

Comment

cheers for the info mate. the whole seized bolts thing terrifies me. I like your high tech axle stands by the way. might get a set of those.
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              1990 CQ20v
              2001 3.0 B6 A4 Avant Quattro Sport

Comment

Originally posted by fourcircle View Post
                cheers for the info mate. the whole seized bolts thing terrifies me. I like your high tech axle stands by the way. might get a set of those.
                That's what I was thinking. Are they the Travis Perkins ones?

Good luck Stu, you are a braver man than me....
                The Perfectionist
                sigpic
                Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Stu, you really have lost the plot! Be good to see it all up and running soon though, especially at the ring or combe.
                  Cheers'en, AndyC
                  1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_Casey View Post
                    Stu, you really have lost the plot! Be good to see it all up and running soon though, especially at the ring or combe.
                    Hey Andy. you're partly to blame for this. The car was in one piece until you wanted a radiator. I took that out, and the next thing I knew half the engine was missing.

Yeah. It would be lovely to get it running again soon. I'm missing it badly. I don't think it will make it to the Nürburgring this year. I certainly hope it will next year!

As for the plan. I've got all sorts of spare parts in the garage, store room and the house. You'll have to wait and see what gets fitted, as the plan keeps changing all the time.
                    I've got four engine blocks and three gearboxes here for a start.
                    SS

Comment

good luck with rebuilding it

i have to waited a year

untill last week.......:mischeif:
                      RS for ‘Rennsport’ - ‘Motorsport’ in German

Comment

There's an S2 under there

You weren't joking when you said she was in pieces!
                        S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Good to see i am not alone stu
                          Chef

Comment

I still have a few things to remove. I'm planning on getting the steering rack refurbished or replaced, so that will come out while it is easy to get at.

I'm also looking at removing the ProConTen cables and associated stuff. I have got another ARV gearbox that only has ~40k miles on it, but I don't fancy a repeat performance of the gearbox breakage, so I've decided to put a DSY gearbox back in instead. So I don't think the ProConTen system is any use with the DSY.

I'm also going to remove the battery tray. I think it was some sort ok cruel joke by the Germans putting it where it is. I'm not sure where I'm going to put the battery, but it won't be in the engine bay.

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
                            That's what I was thinking. Are they the Travis Perkins ones?

Good luck Stu, you are a braver man than me....
                            Cheers Steve.
                            No. They are certainly not TP axle stands. They are proper old-skool super hard locally made concrete blocks.

Oh BTW Steve. I can clean all sorts of places on the car you can only dream of.
                            SS

Comment

I know steve will have to take his S2 apart at some point once we all have shiney nook and crannies....

Is there an assylum for owners of S2 in more than 20 pieces as i need to apply for formal membership shortly.....thanksfully I hope not to be ing as far as you have Stu, though that front on picture of your engine bay has just reminded me how buried the bloody steering rack is

Anyone any ideas how much a powder coat of things like struts and subframe would cost?

Cheers (and good luck putting it all back together )

David
                              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X