20V CQ Tidy Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would pay to see that photo
    It's very disappointing to see expensive clutch fail like this and that the quality is so much different that Sachs.
    I fitted my gearbox on the floor as well so I know your pain,hope it will be all good for ADI

Comment

• 100th page!

Congratulations!

Comment

• Wow, I feel sorry for anyone who feels the need to wade through that much waffle
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• It's been a few months since the last update. ​

I finished last year with a day at Silverstone on the GP circuit. It was awesome, first time I've driven the circuit, seems like it suits the CQ very well being very fast & flowing & the bigger the ******** the faster you go ​ It was pretty much me Vs half the worlds population of GT-Rs ​
          The car performed really well but towards the end of the day I started to get really high oil temps and loose oil pressure - pretty sure the oil pump is ****ed.
          No worries though, I was due to take the car off the road over winter to fit my MD357 and MaxxECU and "finish" the car, so need to solve this at the same time.

A few pics from Silverstone:

Audi_Track_Day_1.jpg

​
          Audi_Track_Day_2.jpg

Audi_Track_Day_3.jpg

Audi_Track_Day_4.jpg
          ​

Audi_Track_Day_5.jpg

So here's the plan:

Pull the engine & get to the bottom of the oil pressure issue.
          Work over a 7A head with new guides & valves
          Fit the MD357
          Upgrade brakes to suit - complete new system from ground up.
          Fit a suitable PCV system
          Strip down the 0A3 gearbox to replace a couple of syncros
          Fit the MaxxECU & map the car - hoping for 450hp/lbft with big area under the curve.

It's hard to find the motivation to work in the garage in the winter and up until recently I'd done sweet FA, so I bought a garage heater so there was no excuse but to pull my finger out ​

Picked up a B8 S5 e-throttle off ebay for pence, so going to try and get that fitted so I can bin the ISV system and simplify the engine bay plumbing. Just need to make up a little adapter for it - more to follow.

5D6C4865-8741-4DDE-B80A-32A97ACD9B94_zpsjdgjxkde.JPG

E-Throttle Adapter_zpsotuezs7n.PNG

I trial fitted the MD357 - doesn't fit with the .82 hotside, so the chassis needed cutting to provide clearance. I also had to remove the lower mounting for the airbox.
          Some tidying up to do here.... the eagle eyed amongst you will have noticed the downpipe also needs some work.

1CFE06B3-6AE8-4472-9F86-89F18D42D9FF_zpsiivq1hxr.JPG

2B530903-6E9C-42D8-92EF-25C870478CED_zpsg8h5c4lg.JPG

Following this I was gutted to find out that my RS2 airbox didn't fit ​

So I needed to make up a custom intake system - clearance for the intake hose is very limited so I bought a cobra head hose from the states.
          The turbo intake is 70mm and the closest sized cobra head hose comes in 3", so I turned an adapter up at work - a quick raid of the scrap bin yielded a nice piece of 6082 so I knocked this up:

IMG_3021_zpsodsoguqt.JPG

It's a shrink fit - heated it up with a heat gun and put a smear of thread lock on the turbo then just pushed it on - jobs a good-'un ​

IMG_3022_zpsc46yeprf.JPG

Mock up of the intake I'm planning with cobra head hose:

IMG_3023_zpsdgytd1m9.JPG

IMG_3024_zpstjeyzqay.JPG

Not really enough space for the air filter to be positioned nicely, so I'm going to cut the inner wing. Clearly a heat shield was going to be required so I started to mock up an RSR style airbox / heatshield out of foamex board to get the shape correct. Not sure yet if I will use GRP or lay up some carbon for the actual piece.

335C241B-8C95-4F15-9B4E-8D08BA2E8297_zpsdymcnunn.JPG

That's it for now.. should be back with more updates over the next couple of weeks ​ ​ ​
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Error404; 2 September 2017, 22:22.
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Innovative ideas and work as usual, nice! Looking forward to the e-throttle progress.

Comment

• Awesome pics from Silverstone

Can i ask, what "new" valves are you installing? And where are you the number plates from

Cheers.
              The ONLY S2 Golf!
              http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19402
              10.42@138mph
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0wnkkOfFpXg

Comment

• How does the electrically adjustable throttle body also controls the idle?

Comment

• Electronic throttle pedal

Basically no cable, you set the throttle plate position with clever ECU settings. Want more air cos your idling at 600? Program it in

Almost all modern performance engines use them, except of course the 'freevalve' from a certain crazy Scandinavian

Comment

• Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
                    How does the electrically adjustable throttle body also controls the idle?
                    The ecu will open the throttle to adjust the idle, also good for antilag
                    The ONLY S2 Golf!
                    http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19402
                    10.42@138mph
                    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0wnkkOfFpXg

Comment

• Funny, every person using an A class Audi I have heard of hate the electronic throttle valve. They never had good and instant response from it.
                      Let us know how it compares

Comment

• Hi guys
                        Baz I have Ferrea intake and exhaust valves. Need some new guides. I did consider making some, but probably easiest just to buy some.
                        Not sure where the plates are from I'm afraid mate, the wife got them for me as a gift a few years ago
                        I seem to remember they were from German Number Plates or something similar

Vas - the e-throttle is mapped, so often OEMs dull the throttle response to make the car smoother and more refined. The throttle map is also an easy way to limit torque. The e-throttle also takes care of the bypass air for idle control
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Keep that cone up and out of the way of puddles (if you dare go out in the rain)
                          Ask me how I know?lol. I had a lucky escape

Comment

• Great up date, be interested in your thoughts on the turbo once she's up and growling!

Cheers

Darren

Comment

• Be good to see how it compares to yours Darren as Craig convinced me to splash out on the billet wheel
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Yeah be interesting, I think you'll like it

Comment

Working...
                                X