.......you know how it is on the slippery slope
    more more more more more!!!!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    1990 CQ20v
    2001 3.0 B6 A4 Avant Quattro Sport

Comment

• Shunt the firewall back 12" and hang the turbos off the back of it

Comment

• I spent a nice peaceful day today home alone fiddling with the coupe - not done that for ages
        Needed to sort out a few things ready for some track action at Donny.

First off I'd kept forgetting about making a bracket to secure the rad after loosing the upper front mount down to the reverse inlet. So I dug through my scrap box and cobbled together a little stainless bracket to brace the the fan cowl off the ABS pump mount:

506FDF66-D3BE-49E9-B045-3CF7E67B2844_zpstd2nwyca.JPG

Fits like so:

60A608F2-B0D9-495C-BBD0-13B5381457CF_zpsrntt9kri.JPG

9CFBB182-751D-48FA-8EF8-D729D957C67A_zpszun6boej.JPG

Also did an oil and filter change onto some 10w 50 Pro S
        Brake fluid changed
        Coolant system pressure tested
        Boost leak tested
        No codes. All good

I've also been developing a new PAS pump mod that will reduce the flow rate as RPM increases, this should reduce the assistance at speed, similar to the system used by Porsche back in the day our motors were rolling out of the factory...just need to get the pump housing machined and then I can do some testing
        More on this to follow soon.

Over & out
        Last edited by Error404; 21 September 2017, 21:19.
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• PAS pump mod sounds very interesting

Comment

• Nice work on the bracket. I wasnt aware that was how it was done on the porsche's, makes sense though
            Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

• Why is it you always end up getting into a major job a couple of weeks before ADI?

A couple of weeks back I was getting an awful rattling on idle and which quickly developed into a horrible crunching feeling through the pedal when shifting.
              I'd had a little rattle on idle pretty much since I fitted the new clutch & INA metal faced release bearing about 5k miles ago.
              So I presumed the release bearing was toast. After pulling off the gearbox, th release bearing looked perfect - good news.

What greeted me was less good news - my very expensive Southbend Extreme Street clutch disc was fooked. The drive hub was loose in the assembly and this was the source of the problem. It's not obviously worn so I put it down to poor construction.

I decided to get a new Sach Race Engineering disc which arrived earlier this week. Also some new Lemforder diff mounts to join the party.

IMG_0839_zpsw02f5vrk.JPG

Interesting to compare the two friction discs side by side. The SRE unit has MUCH better build quality - to the point of being incomparable. Every component is significantly more robust and is of better quality, right down to the rivets.

There is no way in hell this Southbend unit would sustain the torque they claim (500lbft+), even if it could generate the friction to hold it. The irritating thing is I could / should have bought an SRE unit in the first place but the Southbend came with good reviews and claims to hold a fair bit more torque - they do say that a fool and his money are easily separated.

Moral of the story - don't believe the hype and go with proven high quality parts.

Southbend unit:

Southbend Stage 4 Street.JPG

SRE unit:

SRE Disc.JPG

Gearbox now refitted and I just need to put the rest of the car back together. I can't say I recommend removing & refitting a 6psd box single handed on the garage floor - it's a **** of a job!

All being well will finish off the reassembly this week in time for ADI.
              Last edited by Error404; 21 September 2017, 21:23.
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Well done m8! Good to hear it's coming back together. I changed a non quattro box by myself on a driveway and it was effing heavy. You must be on steroids if you did the 6-speeder by yourself

It's always the week before ADI that little jobs become monsters. I've just changed both subframes, all the bushes, ball joints and top mounts and it was a lot more work than I expected. Especially when you're on your own doing it

Roll on ADI, are you going on the track?
                91 Modded 3B
                14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                  Gearbox now refitted and I just need to put the rest of the car back together. I can't say I recommend removing & refitting a 6psd box single handed on the garage floor - it's a **** of a job!
                  Jeez, it was hard enough with help from my brother, I wouldn't even attempt it on my own!

I have the same clutch in mine and it must have done 20k ( odometer broken ) miles now and it still hanging on good.
                  sigpic
                  1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                  1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                  1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• I don't even like to change clutches on our cars with two people on a 2-post lift, wouldn't even start the job on my own on the garagefloor, so well done

Comment

• I lashed up a little cradle for the trolley jack which made lift easier getting it into position. It was trying to get it engaged on the input shaft that was the pain. I was wriggling it holding onto the output flanges, but I kept just pulling myself further under the car, so I had to tie my feet to the tow ring on the S4 outside. Must have looked really odd, some kind of auto asphyxiation weirdo
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveH View Post

Roll on ADI, are you going on the track?
                        Yes hoping to do a 1/2 day, in the AM. Not booked anything yet, need to make sure I will be able to make it first

Treating it as a shakedown session really as I have a full day a Silverstone on 7th Nov and I've not tracked the car for a while so need to check it all still works before hitting Copse at speed
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• I am wondering if the clutch kits sold by aftermarket companies are using very low quality materials on the lower grade torque levels and the proper ones on higher torque levels.
                          My southbend kit is still holding strong and in fact when I thought it had gone only to be the pump I have a second kit unopened and unused sitting in my basement. From memory I had the kit to hold for 800ftlbs. Is it the double metal faced one or something..?

Comment

• That's what mine was supposed to be. It was the highest rated one without getting a puck type disc.
                            Personally when I buy from an independent and pay proper money, I expect higher quality than a mass produced product.
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• I agree. My disc has springs and designated for a single mass flywheel. I remember mine was the last before going for a 6 or 4 puck.
                              It's difficult to judge but at least mine has lasted quite a while

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                                I lashed up a little cradle for the trolley jack which made lift easier getting it into position. It was trying to get it engaged on the input shaft that was the pain. I was wriggling it holding onto the output flanges, but I kept just pulling myself further under the car, so I had to tie my feet to the tow ring on the S4 outside. Must have looked really odd, some kind of auto asphyxiation weirdo
                                You should have got the Mrs to take a picture of that!!
                                sigpic
                                1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                                1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                                1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Working...
                                X