20V CQ Tidy Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 monthly update

I have been manic busy this year working flat out and trying to start my own business.
    The car has taken a bit of a back seat. I did have ambitions to get to ADI but when that looked impossible back in August, I haven't really touched the car since then.

So a few little updates as it slowly comes together. Unfortunately I have lost a load of pics with a damaged phone so pics of progress are sporadic & apologies for the quality of some

Machined a bolt-on v-band wastegate adapter for the Wagner manifold. Designed for a Turbosmart Compgate:

With that I was able to install the turbo & start some plumbing. Air filter mock-up - looks like I will be able to use this AEM unit without cutting the inner wing. I will make a composite airbox/heatshield for it.

Downpipe modified to suit the larger hotside & new wastegate:

I am adding various sensors to suit the capabilities of the MaxxECU - Bosch NTC for oil temp and Honeywell PX2 pressure transducers for the fuel & oil pressure. I already machined a stainless 1/8NPT adapter for the M16 port on the block. A PX2 sensor replaces the factory 1.8bar pressure switch. An output from the ECU is fed to the dash to trigger the oil pressure warning.
    The low pressure trigger is mapped against RPM and temperature and also configured to limit RPM or stop the engine if necessary. Likewise for oil temperature, a Bosch NTC temperature sensor is fitted to the sump and engine RPM & load is limited by oil temperature. Finally I machined an 1/8NPT boss which I welded to the fuel rail to add a PX2 sensor for fuel pressure. The ECU is configured to track live fuel pressure rather than a fixed rising rate enabling more accurate fueling, and fail-safes for low fuel pressure due to mechanical failure.

All connected up with some MILspec wiring - Spec 55, DR-25, ATUM etc.

I am using an RS3 e-throttle. I didn't want to cut & weld the Wagner intake to fit it so I have machined an adapter to mount it:

I am also using the alloy elbow from the RS3 / TT-RS - this includes provision for a Bosch TMAP sensor to replace the old PTC sensor that Motronic uses on the intake manifold. These sensors have better resolution than the OEM sensor and are cheaper and commercially available. The RS3/TT-RS as stock use an e-bypass valve which is cast into the intake elbow, but it is too small for the desired air mass as well as being in an awkward place to plumb in as I have AC/Climate.
    So I chopped it off and welded the hole up. The position still needs a slight tweak but will marry up nicely to the Wagner intercooler.

Ironically I havn't got a coil harness for my car so will need to make one next. Then I can get the rest of the plumbing done and fire the car up so I can take it outside for a clean.

Before anyone asks I borrowed the fitting from work and I have no idea who Nick is.

That's it for now
    Last edited by Error404; 3 November 2018, 20:10.
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• nice update alex,
      with the skills you have you can start your business.. i do enjoy stuff that you post and what i can buy =D

Comment

• Well done alex, always impressed with the quality of workmanship
        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

• Perfect as always Alex
          Audi Coupe Quattro 2.3 20V

Comment

• Nice work, if you ever think of selling the car put me on what would probably be a long list of potentisl buyers

Comment

• Originally posted by Rikki Kitto View Post
              Nice work, if you ever think of selling the car put me on what would probably be a long list of potentisl buyers
              Haha-i can't see this happening

Comment

• It would be like selling a family pet
                I would swap it for a Gallardo Superleggera though
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                  It would be like selling a family pet
                  I would swap it for a Gallardo Superleggera though
                  I would only swap my car for one thing -it would be Ford Falcon from original Mad Max car with Mel Gibson .
                  But I would still like to put 5pot 20VT there

Comment

• Lovely work Alex, makes my Coupe look a right shed..

I love the title of this thread BTW

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                    sigpic

Comment

• Yeah it did snowball somewhat.

I am the original victim of the slippery slope
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Great work as usual Alex. I enjoy your updates as much a Project Binky
                        91 Modded 3B
                        14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

• love seeing what you do, as Newsh says... not gonna post pictures of my old shed... makes me feel very inadequate
                          Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
                          S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
                          '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

• Mine is an old shed too.
                            One day I will do a showcase of all the bad bits
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• like the yellow cable tagging, seen this before, can't remember where... electrician's gear?

Comment

• It is how it is done in pro-motorsport
                                Indigo ABY coupé
                                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X