No announcement yet.

20V CQ Tidy Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's definitely a good option, my machinist is big fan of these old 5cyl blocks since I have been taking them to him, as they are so stable you can carry out this kind of job perfectly to tolerance
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• So today's update.

I stripped my B7 RS4 gearbox down to replace 2nd, 3rd & 4th syncros today. In truth it was only really 2nd that was occasionally crunching, but 3rd and 4th felt a bit notchy compared to our S4, so I figured they'd be getting tired. I took a few pics so I will probably do a quick DIY on this when I get a min. The 0A3 is easier to work on than the 01E, which is another advantage. As you can tell by now I am a fan of these boxes

A few pics of the job:

IMG_E0356.JPG

IMG_E0367.JPG

IMG_E0370.JPG

2nd gear starting to get a little scuffed by the shift collar, caused by the worn syncro not slowing the gear enough for the collar to catch it cleanly.

IMG_E0371.JPG

Compare to 4th gear, looking pretty much as new:

IMG_E0372.JPG

New 3pcs synco (3rd / 4th)

IMG_0395.JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_E0378.JPG
      IMG_E0376.JPG

IMG_E0361.JPG
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• I also did the last few finishing touches to my head and gave it a clean.

I've had a 3 angle valve seat cut and tidied up the ports and chambers, as well as made a couple other mods.

It started life as a 7A head, 120k miles deep and crack free. The water manifold machining was done and a boss was added for the hall sensor.
        I also milled the deck cooling channels to match the block:

Since everyone loves a pic.....

IMG_E0432.JPG

IMG_E0433.JPG

IMG_E0450.JPG

In terms of work on the head I concentrated mostly on the form adjacent to the valve seat since the seat and valve are the biggest restriction. Mostly just and smoothing and blending everything together rather than any major changes. I tried to remove as little material as possible, so any increase in flow generated by the improved seats would result in a bigger increase in velocity and tumble. The pictures are pretty poor unfortunately, ports are hard to take pics of it seems.

On the exhaust ports I removed the guide boss since it was only a nub, and blended the bowl into the seat. There is a sharp step in the short side radius that I removed, hoping to reduce the flow separation. Finished with a fine scotch buff to try to reduce carbon build-up

fsq5cRm.jpg

IMG_E0445.JPG

IMG_E0435.JPG

IMG_E0439.JPG

Intakes I pretty much just relieved the port around the guide boss, tried to remove the casting ridges down the sides of the ports, smoothed surfaces and blended the bowl into the seat.

36l8RD0.jpg

IMG_E0436.JPG

IMG_E0437.JPG

IMG_E0448.JPG

Hoping to build the head up tomorrow
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Error404; 3 December 2017, 20:30.
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Noo piccys are no worky.

Jealous of your gearbox setup, have you written an idiots guide to fitting an 0A3 into a B4 chassis?
          91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
          93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
          94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

• Forum is playing up.
            They work fine for me in Chrome, but switch to Edge and they don't show up, unless you switch to the "S2forum" theme, then they do.
            I uploaded them as attachments too, but they don't show as being attached.

also this thread doesn't show up in new posts for some reason?

Anyway, 0A3 box swap is pretty easy now, as I can supply a complete kit to make it a bolt-on job
            https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...conversion-kit
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• I bet the inside of your gearbox even smells nice

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

• If you have a weird sulphur fetish
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                  Forum is playing up.
                  They work fine for me in Chrome, but switch to Edge and they don't show up, unless you switch to the "S2forum" theme, then they do.
                  I uploaded them as attachments too, but they don't show as being attached.

also this thread doesn't show up in new posts for some reason?

Anyway, 0A3 box swap is pretty easy now, as I can supply a complete kit to make it a bolt-on job
                  https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...conversion-kit
                  Cant see them in Chrome either, previous posts are fine.

It took me a while to figure out "New Topics" is only new threads, hence i have been missing out on a majority of posts since the changeover, i have since started checking "Todays posts" too, but no idea how to see all posts since my last visit

Hats off to you for the conversion kit, will add that to my wish list!
                  91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                  93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                  94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

• Hopefully the pics on the previous page are now fixed

I built the head up today: pretty much stock valvetrain setup, except the valves themselves - I used new Ferrea stainless intake and exhaust valves.

31G4vdh.jpg

0XhMnTg.jpg

SMDsdQu.jpg

vHmu4mc.jpg

6IhDQpm.jpg?1.jpg

9jxbiNI.jpg?1.jpg

Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Hi Alex,i'd like to say i can see your work but i can't the pics are not showing again.
                      96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                      96 URS6 plus speck estate
                      94 2.6 80 Avant
                      99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

• Working for me here, they are forum hosted so should be golden.

MArk, what browser are you using, not still IE?

Comment

• I'm seeing the pictures.

does the head decking seem a bit rough or is it just the photo?

Also what's the take on the fact that with the extra water channels it's just the head gasket separating them from the block?

Comment

• Comment

• Vas the finish is fine, just the light in my pro photos is a bit ****.
                              Cool8ng channels are in the deck too. This mod improves gasket sealing too, same pressure over smaller area
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
                                Working for me here, they are forum hosted so should be golden.

MArk, what browser are you using, not still IE?
                                Ditched that years ago for firefox then chrome. Been using safari on the iMac for over 2 years now and never had a problem. Not having problems anywhere else so what's going on with just this place? I've just gone to post this reply and it wouldn't let me saying i had to enter my password. I was already signed in!

Pete, edit........i've been signing in but not ticking the box remember medidn't think it was necessary. Can see the pics now.
                                Last edited by Vorsprung durch Technik; 4 December 2017, 21:30.
                                96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                                96 URS6 plus speck estate
                                94 2.6 80 Avant
                                99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Working...
                                X