• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No use for me then, I have a torsen rear diff
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Got a bit more done on the old banger today.

Pulled the old block out of its stinking sticky pickle and its done a really good job of dissolving the corrosion! Virtually all gone, except a few spots where it was really thick. It flash rusted in seconds once I'd washed it off, so I knew it was clean. It had been bubbling away for a week.

A few spots like this remained, but I am confident with another week in the molasses it would be back to clean metal:
      I'll get some paint on the block tomorrow then I can get it decked, bored & honed.

The enigne bay and my OCD is really slowing me down. I'd had to sort out some rust issues which I had tried to address about 5 years ago but the dreaded tin worm had slowly made its return around the tie rod openings in the front arches. My coupe has also had a repair to the passenger side at the front at some point early in its life a new front inner wing panel has been fitted and there was rust in the seam.
      So more crappy work with the wire brush and sanding wheels. Then POR15 as a primer over the treated corrosion:

I used the 2k 3M underseal last time but it has doubled in price since I last bought it a few years back, added to the fact that none of my local suppliers had any stock, so I thought I would try the OEM D003500 underseal. It comes in a 1L shutz can:

Sprays out really nicely and gives a really nice finish - its black too so no need to overcoat with Dinitrol this time. doubt its a tough as the 3M stuff but time will tell.

Did the last few bits of sanding then applied some PU seam sealer to the engine bay seams that appear to hold water.
      And finally I'm ready to shoot come colour and clear coat tomorrow, then I can start putting parts back on the car rather than taking them off.

Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• What a thread! Feels good knowing you're passing the half way point though right.

Great attention to detail too

Comment

• That molasses trick is awesome! Looks great!

How much was the underseal?
          Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
            OEM D003500 underseal.
            Isn't it NLA? I wanted to buy it for sills, but its sales were discontinued this year at us.

Comment

• Not NLA but it is restricted as it a hazardous product. Your dealer must order it specially.
              Its was £27 for the can with discount
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• No paint today

Was pissing down all day so pretty much 100% humidity so I didn't risk it blooming..... fingers crossed for next week!
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• great read Alex, attention to detail reminds me of another member on here with his UR
                  sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

• Great work, as ever, Alex.
                    I now have some more ideas for my next build.
                    SS

Comment

• Cheers Stu

So, your next project...... will any of us live to see it?
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                        Not NLA but it is restricted as it a hazardous product. Your dealer must order it specially.
                        Its was £27 for the can with discount
                        Yet I was told it was NLA and replacement was D 314D36M2.

Comment

• Paint - done!

I'm stoked about how it came out, 2k just floats out so nicely. Not a pro job by any standards, but I'm dead pleased with is as a first effort with a proper spray gun. Some bits look good enough to eat! Nom nom nom

Can't wait to start bolting parts back into it tomorrow now

I also picked up a load of parts from the powder coaters - done in OEM satin black

Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Loving your work
                            Chef

Comment

• Looks really good!

What mask did you use for 2k?
                              Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                              Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Moldex 9000. It's a full face respirator - should really use an air fed TBH, but being a loose cannon who doesn't play by the rules of course I disregarded all normal precautions
                                Indigo ABY coupé
                                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X