No announcement yet.

Jogi's New Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As already posted, it is all looking very smart. The engine bay courtesy of Mark and the lads at the garage, the rest of the car due to it's first ever detailing carried out by M.A.S across the road (it would have been rude not to. What a great job. Wheels were also refurbished and a slight colour change

A few things still need sorting, but I have her back for the summer to play with and to do some (not too gentle) running in. Popped up to Whitby for a look around and took some snaps

Last edited by jogi730; 12 June 2018, 02:23.
    Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
    20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• Then the long drive home. Was just such a great feeling driving her again, even with limited boost for now. Sure goes well!
      Celebrated getting home with a quick pint with my neighbour. He reckons it looks like a completely different car now.

Now to attend some meeting to get sow of those running in duties out the way
      Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
      20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• Nice !

Comment

• Well done Chris, She looks mint.
          sigpic_________
          Rob

Comment

• Mmmmmmmm

96 URS6 plus speck saloon
            96 URS6 plus speck estate
            94 2.6 80 Avant
            99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

• Wow, looking lush

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

• Finally some good new Chris !!
                The bay looks far less agricultural lol

what spec now ?
                S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

• Hi Gavs.
                  Yes, a little bit better.
                  Wagner EM (for now)

Garrett GTX3071 gen 2,

Running less than 1.5 bar boost whilst running in. Difficult to compare performance at the moment. Coming in a little sooner but not as brutal as before.
                  seems to be running a tad hot, so new radiator (now sourced) plus change of intercoolers should allow for original bumper to go back on.
                  just great to be driving her again

Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                  20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• 2019 udate:-

So many nice cars have been worked on lately, I thought my car should get 'some' much overdue TLC and work carried out during this winter lay up.

Body shop -

First off, it went to the body shop to have some rust sorted before things got too out of hand.
                    The usual culprit , 'A' pillars on both sides were in particular need of attention.

Small pesky job requiring a lot of work as bumper, doors and wings had to come off to get to the problem areas properly. My friend thinks a big cause of the problem lies in there being too much sealant in the pillars. This means that any water gathered therein simply cannot drain away. Unfortunately, most of the photo's got accidently deleted.

The rear door shuts still need doing, but ran out of time as car was booked in at Automark.
                    Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                    20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• Engine - the plan

The engine has been run in - gently :-) over the last few months, so it was time to take the car back to Automark for Mark to get the engine remapped and the car running properly.

A slight change of plan though. Bought a few parts to refresh and get the most pleasure out of the car.

Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                      20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• Therefore, what was due to be a minor tweak changed somewhat.
                        A big decision was made to ditch my two radiators and large intercooler and replace with one oversized radiator and Mark's 2 x small intercooler mod to hopefully reduce under bonnet temperature's and the dreaded lag.

New oversized radiator (thanks Alex)

Old moooosive intercooler

When this was first fitted, a lot of the front slam panel was removed

Of course this weakened the front of the car.
                        The big I/C was replaced with 2 x small items.
                        A custom made cross member was made with the necessary mounts for the new additions and importantly returned some much needed rigidity to the front of the car.

Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                        20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• End tanks were custom made with top quality cores (intakes machined from solid block for more tolerant clamping strength).

Here, the placement of the two I/C's can be seen, the smaller one just in front of the radiator.
                          Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                          20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• For a nice finishing touch, a box for the air filter was fitted. A 4" U-bend was custom made drawing air from underneath and the side vent, allowing cooler air for the turbo and hopefully , helping to keep under bonnet temps cooler

Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                            20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• ECU

Perhaps the biggest decision of all was to finally swap my Pectel T6. Looked at a few possibilities (MaxxECU etc) but I ended up going for DTA as this is what Mark recommended.

New DTAFast S80 ECU and loom

The software is certainly much more user friendly and is still getting regular updates where needed.
                              Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                              20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• Gearbox
                                Having spoken to Mark and several other people, the diesel gearbox (CYT) fitted to my car was restricting performance for a fast road car. The current gearbox's long gearing is great for cruising on the motorway and well suited to a drag car, but not ideal for everyday use.

I managed to get hold of a B7 RS4 gearbox.

Courtesy of Alex making one of his kits for the typ85, the plan was to fit this to my car. Major snag was encountered at this point. My front drive shafts, already non-standard (20vcq items) would not match the spline pattern for the gearbox.
                                The solution was to find some B3/B4 struts and hubs. Ended up with a set of 7A hubs and custom made coilovers.

As I am running cast front wishbones, the ball joints fitted are from the ur 20v (RR). These are as rare as hens teeth now and cost a fortune to buy. This latest swap means I can run the much more readily available (and normal priced) items

The prop shaft had to me modified slightly (shortened 25mm). A new flange was fitted for good measure and then it was rebalanced.

Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                                20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X