Mr Simmonds 3B lite project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lind4hl View Post
    but 7" rim and R-tires is really narrow IMO you will burn up the tires really fast if you have some speed and power around the track, but for some trackdays now and then it´s just fine
    Yes your right, they are a little narrow, surprisingly no problems with grip but as you say they won't last long. Once their worn out I'll be going for 215/45/17 888's.
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

hey, 6kg GF bonnet 3500sek approx 320eur or something..

One thing i've learned we are way behind the Scandinavians!

Comment

That's not too bad compared to 1000eur for a carbon one, not got the funds to justifie it at the moment but will be on the cards it future. Who sells them?

Comment

www.vpm.se

they can maybe arrange shipping to uk, dont know really

One thing i've learned we are way behind the Scandinavians!

Comment

Nice work, 3B is the place to start for something like this, you've already got an 80kg ish advantage over the ABY. Smaller tyres are a help there, my OZ superlegerras are 19kg each with Pirelli Corsa 225/45R17s. I think 1300kg is a totally achievable target. I've reomoved about 100kg from my ABY at the mo and am hoping to get a further 25kg out so that's 1400kg with a pair of seats and a dashboard.

When you're all done you should do some performance testing, should be good with that Nothelle conversion, ericd's nothelle is running 340bhp/380ftlbs so that would be a lovely target
            Cheers'en, AndyC
            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
              225/45 is closer to 205/55 surely but your smaller wheels will help acceleration - though reduce top speed of course...

Nice work - pretty OCD alright in the weight loss department.

Found the tyre size converter.

http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/vis...ize-calculator

I was a little out on what I quoted before, the 205/45/17's are even smaller than I thought.

205/55/16 = RR of 198.52 cm

205/45/17 = RR of 193.62 cm

215/45/17 = RR of 196.44 cm

225/45/17 = RR of 199.27 cm.

So the 225/45/17's are closest to standard, I think 215/45/17's would be a good comprise, though the 205/45/17's are maybe a tad small.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                Nice work, 3B is the place to start for something like this, you've already got an 80kg ish advantage over the ABY. Smaller tyres are a help there, my OZ superlegerras are 19kg each with Pirelli Corsa 225/45R17s. I think 1300kg is a totally achievable target. I've reomoved about 100kg from my ABY at the mo and am hoping to get a further 25kg out so that's 1400kg with a pair of seats and a dashboard.

When you're all done you should do some performance testing, should be good with that Nothelle conversion, ericd's nothelle is running 340bhp/380ftlbs so that would be a lovely target
                Thanks, I've noticed your up to much the same thing with your car, your thread was one of things that inspired me to embark on this mission. That black sound deadening weighs more than one would expect at least 25kg in all, bummer of a job removing it mind you. I've had a look at the carpet and I think with care and patience the heavy backing can be removed leaving just a very thin carpet layer, would more than half the weight of the thing. I'm going to give it a go anyway, if I can make the rug weigh less than 3kg's then it's going back as the floor looks *****.

Power wise I'd be very happy with what Eric's car is putting out, though I think there maybe a little more available with all the RS2 bit's, a decent down-pipe/exhaust and a custom remap. I'd consider anything over 350bhp to be a bonus.

Comment

The small hybrid on the Nothelle conversion should have some lag advanatge over the RS2, not sure if it has the same rod bending abilities tho? Might be worth getting an RS2 ECU (or MAP sensor) so you can push a bit more than 1.5bar, need to get the comp. map for that little hybrid first though as it might be a case of diminishing returns.

1300kg, 350bhp and sharper responses. Nice.

Don't forget to fit an ABY rack too, a bit sharper and no servotronic.
                  Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Interestingly, I sent an Avus with 205/55R16 Avon on it and it weighed 18.5kg packaged... so lightweight wheels weigh about the same as the stock ones

I think some lightweight 16x8s with 225/50R16 track rubber would be nice.
                    Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

All those black pads - 25kg - really ? That is a surprise.

The carpet without underfelt is going to take the harsh look of things alright.

Did you have much difficulty removing the thick foamy block underneath the dashboard - other than having to get heater matrix and stuff out the way ?

As to tyre sizes - don't get too OCD about those dimensions one mans 225 is another mans 215 if you know what I mean - different brands & sizing games - those calculators are just a nominal guide.
                      Paul Nugent
                      Webmaster http://S2central.net
                      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Got an ABY steering rack waiting to go on, though I'd like to get it reconditioned first as it's a job I'm only planning on doing once.
                        Last edited by K Simmonds; 9 September 2016, 16:45.

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                          All those black pads - 25kg - really ? That is a surprise.

The carpet without underfelt is going to take the harsh look of things alright.

Did you have much difficulty removing the thick foamy block underneath the dashboard - other than having to get heater matrix and stuff out the way ?

As to tyre sizes - don't get too OCD about those dimensions one mans 225 is another mans 215 if you know what I mean - different brands & sizing games - those calculators are just a nominal guide.

Yep I was surprised myself at how much the black pads weigh, I'm going to be adding some accurate weights to the thread for reference once I've borrowed some suitable scales.

Once the dash and heater box are out the way it's easy to remove everything from under the dash apart from round the electrics on the drivers side which is a bit of a fiddle.

As you rightly point out the tyre size's are a little subjective as specs will vary from different manufacturers.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
                            Hmmm a good shot there showing that there is no strengthening panels inside the rear quarter. I was looking at a 2.6 fwd coupe this afternoon and that has some big strengthening panels. I didn't have my camera/phone to hand and the cars being scrapped in the morning so I won't be able to get some before then unless i go over my lockup later tonight, ill see what i can do but doubt I can do.

Thats a brilliant styled bonnet, shame I don't have an s2 to fit it too now.

Comment

Made some progress today, finished fitting the Avant battery tray in the spare wheel well, tided up the cable routing and fitted a non aircon heater box complete with new matrix. I've also re routed the rear washer bottle to the front windscreen so I can do away with both front washer bottles, the head light washers are going anyway and so is the rear wiper and motor now. A few more kilos moved to the rear.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Decided to sort out the botched job Auto glass did of refitting the A post trim, upon removing them it's obvious where the water has been getting in. Due to most the rivets being either missing or loose, put back together in a hurry by the looks of it. I need to get some decent quality rivets to do a proper job of refitting them, hopefully tomorrow.
                                Last edited by K Simmonds; 9 September 2016, 16:58.

Comment

Working...
                                X